The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Extremely new to tuning/logging

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlckTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 7, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
(I posted this question earlier, but somehow it ended up in another section, sorry my bad.)

Okay, I just got a pocket logger at the advice of many of you guys, but I have no idea how to read it, or use it to tune my car. (I have a 99 GSX). Pretty much just pretend Im braindead and go from there... like which on the logger do I need to pay attention to, and how do I interpret what it shows, like whats good and whats bad? Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but I looked and couldnt find anything that really broke it down for me.

I've got:
intake, 3"downpipe (no cat), 3" cat-back, Dejon-tool UIP Blow through style w/ Greddy RS BOV and the MAF-T. And I believe I'm supposed to have my base setting on the MAF-T at 2 right? Basically... I just got the MAF-T and UIP on, and now I need to tune it with the logger, but am totally lost and dont want to blow up my car... ANY information would be appreciated.

What you need to do is log rpm's, timing, and 02 in a WOT third gear pull form 3000 rpm to about 6500 rpm. Your timing should climb slow and steady and end at about 18-20. If there are any dips in the timing, you are getting knock and need to richen things up un that rpm range.

tom04841 said:
What you need to do is log rpm's, timing, and 02 in a WOT third gear pull form 3000 rpm to about 6500 rpm. Your timing should climb slow and steady and end at about 18-20. If there are any dips in the timing, you are getting knock and need to richen things up un that rpm range.

AWESOME quote, very helpful!

I also am very new at this. I have an safc2, logger, 550's t28, fmic, 3" turbo back, intake, short route piping, etc.

I was SO confused on how to tune. so dips in timing = knock = add moer fuel in that rpm range?

thanks!

2g have it a little harder than 1g. 1g can log knock. Makes it alot easier. But as i stated, dips in timing indicates knock. When adding fuel, make sure it is in the hi throttle setting since you will be WOT

tom04841 said:
2g have it a little harder than 1g. 1g can log knock. Makes it alot easier. But as i stated, dips in timing indicates knock. When adding fuel, make sure it is in the hi throttle setting since you will be WOT

To clarify what I think you mean since it's impossible to go from cruising with super high timing (~30) to hitting boost and have the timing not drop.

To tune once your turbo is spooled, your timing should either be steady, or it should be slowly increasing. I think that's what Tom04841 meant. Once the turbo is spooled, if you see a drop in timing, you need to add fuel. Also, once the turbo has spooled, if your timing is super low and doesn't start to rise, you should add fuel. Super low timing (ie <8 or 9 degrees) over an extended period of time is bad...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back