The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Extremely loud knock, Rough idle and misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SameOldDSM

Proven Member
Mar 17, 2023
Niles, Michigan
Relatively new to the forums but I'm in need of some help diagnosing what happened to my engine.

Last Sunday I bought a 95 Gsx with a 6 bolt. According to the seller its had a lot of work including a full timing service, new water pump, all previous oil leaks fixed, a turbo service, new head gasket, arp studs and evo springs and retainers.

Drove it 3 hours home and it was perfect except for needing a new battery and whenever it was wide open pushing 20lb of boost it would cut out extremely hard whenever it was above maybe 5k rpm. He kept saying it could be something in the tune, or from the shit battery that he had in it. Keep in mind this guy didn't care about the car like he should have other than the engine and transmission. Cosmetically it's beat, especially in the engine bay.

Drove it around for a while to get better at driving manual and had no issues. Replaced the battery just the other day and somehow it seemed to fix the cutting out at high rpm under boost.

Was feeling good about the car so I took it to work yesterday and it was normal until I left the running lights on after lunch. Battery was a bit dead but it still turned over and started but now it has an extreme misfire and somewhere near the back of the engine there's a super loud clanking sound. I'll try and upload a video of it.

Had a buddy come help me, he suggested we pull the valve cover off right there to check everything up top and it was all in check. Rocker arms were in place, cams looked good even turned it over and had good oil pressure, everything sounded smooth and compression sounded good. We put it back together had it towed home and now I don't know where to start. Figured id get advice from people who have experience before just diving in head first. And keep in mind it was running perfect before shutting if off at lunch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
It seems that the knocking sound was the loose tensioner arm smacking against the dampener rod or the dampener unit, this thing was either a bad tensioner assembly or the timing components were installed wrong, I would not turn that engine over anymore without a crankshaft pulley installed, the belt can jump off without it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back