The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Expert opinions on build plan requested (fuel system injectors and turbo combo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed_RacerGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Ok 91 GVR4 basket case, came with no motor. I have a fresh motor I am assembling, pretty much stock with ARP head, rod and main fasteners, ceramic coated cast pistons, stock cams for now, 264 at some point, possibly VERY soon. (stock valvetrain otherwise, from what I've seen the HKS 264s are fine with stock valve springs) 2g exhaust manifold and O2 housing, S16g 3g mas 560cc EVIII injectors, EVIII IC, and Buschur bolt on AFPR. Keydiver stage 3 chip optimized for 3g mas and 560s. I have a Walbro 255, but I think its overkill and will require some -6 AN lines and possibly a larger return. I think even a 190lph will be too much for 560s. I'm thinking about running a stock evo pump, should be well matched. Oh and for exhaust 2g dp, custom test pipe to 1g catback.
I think I'm on the right track, I'm not exactly new to this, but I know there are people that have done this stuff to death so I'm really only interested in expert pointers not just a general poll of what everybody thinks.
thanks

WHat's your goals because with that setup sounds like your trying to build a 300whp street car?

Yup, daily driver, occaisional road course and autoX. I was estimating rougly 300 awhp just judging by similar setups I've seen.
And to further clarify, I have the chip injectors and s16g already.

I would recommend since you are doing cams soon, first get the springs and retainers, its better to be safe than sorry. Also get new oil pump and timing belt kit, balance shaft eliminator kit. i don't know much about galants but if you can get an EVO 3 manifold to work that would be a nice upgrade. good luck on the build, you are on the right track.

Yup, daily driver, occaisional road course and autoX. I was estimating rougly 300 awhp just judging by similar setups I've seen.
And to further clarify, I have the chip injectors and s16g already.
I would go with dsmlink and 272/264 combo the rest looks good. Yes i know people make power with chips but you will get a safer tune and adjustability with the link not to mention logging which is KEY.

I would go with dsmlink and 272/264 combo the rest looks good. Yes i know people make power with chips but you will get a safer tune and adjustability with the link not to mention logging which is KEY.
Inspected oil pump, its in good shape, already did BS eliminator, the engine is in pieces on my bench, all fresh from the machine shop. Once my main studs and head gasket come in I'll put it together.
Why go to the 272/264 over 264s? I've seen more than one rally/road course car running 264s happily. Remember small turbo. I eventually plan on dsm link when I can afford it, but the chip works for now, I'm planning on getting a logger soon, wideband too I think.
Also I was looking at BC's site and it states that valve springs are not needed with 264s. I'd like to do valvesprings, but this is a super low budget build. I'm in college. If I have to do springs and cams it totally blows the budget and cams will have to wait for awhile. There is a guy on GVR4 that is running stock evo springs because he had them laying around from his evo, but I don't know how much of an upgrade they are. He figured hey they are better than the 20 year old stockers.

Valve springs wont be needed true, recommended yes, just as you stated 20-year old springs lose tension. I would rather take the safety precaution and invest in the new springs and retainers. a $290 spring set will be a lot cheaper than having to buy new pistons, valves. I know what you mean by being a college student, I am a college student too. That's why I'm recommending the valve springs to save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Don't let this fool you though, a machine shop can test spring tension for you for about $20. If they are within spec and have their tension great. if they are out of spec, and barely out of spec, hold off on the cams and buy the springs. Cams aren't needed for a 300HP build, there are guys getting more than this without cams. just my .02 man

Valve springs wont be needed true, recommended yes, just as you stated 20-year old springs lose tension. I would rather take the safety precaution and invest in the new springs and retainers. a $290 spring set will be a lot cheaper than having to buy new pistons, valves. I know what you mean by being a college student, I am a college student too. That's why I'm recommending the valve springs to save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Don't let this fool you though, a machine shop can test spring tension for you for about $20. If they are within spec and have their tension great. if they are out of spec, and barely out of spec, hold off on the cams and buy the springs. Cams aren't needed for a 300HP build, there are guys getting more than this without cams. just my .02 man
Yeah as it is cams are just going to have to wait anyhow. I think I'm going to invest in the link first.
Its coming together, but probably won't be on the road until fall term financial aid :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back