The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust size

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrkmstp

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2002
raleigh/chapel_hill_NC
I have recently purchased the Evo O2 housing, RRE DP, and RRE test pipe. As you guys know the DP goes from 2.5 to 3. I currently have
a Big-T28 setup. Am I losing too much power w/ a 3 inch exhaust piping???

no. The down pipes first bend is 2.5" Anything after that is cooler gas temps (lower initially expunged), so it needs to expand.

Originally posted by AWDLATIN
no. The down pipes first bend is 2.5" Anything after that is cooler gas temps (lower initially expunged), so it needs to expand.

Yep.

Even the famous DSM with ET's that are the shiznit is runing a 3.5" exhaust (shep). It was plenty fast when it had a 3" system on it. I other words if you are shooting for single digit ets then 3" will hold you back. so will a big 28. However a good street car with a good turbo for the street (big28) 2.5" might be barely just enough and 3" perfect with headroom.

Now what is getting bolted to the back of the test pipe?

hhhhmmm. I guess some one should call RRE and tell them they don't know how to build Down pipes :rolleyes:

No for a big 28 and stock/evo o2 housing that is fine to have 2.5 at the first part of the DP..

Lets recap.

Cast OE housing non tubular. A 2.5 tp 3.0 steped DP is just fine. Tubular o2 housing match the tube.

Cat Back

A 2.5 cat back would be the minimum with 3" preferable.

I assume you have a 3" catback?

The RRE DP is fine.

The fastest 20G car (currently listed at dsmtimes.org, I know there's been faster) had a 2.5 dp going to a 3" at the flex.

GOOD GOOD GOOD.
Thanks for the help.
I will be getting the apexi N1.
Is that the exhaust I should
be looking to buy for the setup???
I also might be upgrading to the
new FP2544, so let me know wassup.
Thanks

I like the Bosal exhaust.

I installed one on a 2g AWD about 3 days ago.

Should be $290 from seffects.com...

It's 3" polished ss from cat flange to tips.

It fits very nice. It uses all the OE hanger points AND it all lined up perfect. It went on amazingly fast and really looks clean on the car.
After it was bolted up I tried to shove and pull the thing hard in many different directions. It is not going to have any clearance issues or rattle issues. Fits like a glove. I was pleasantly suprised considering what these are going for. BTW get some bolts that match the size and thread of the OE hanger bolts and some fender washers. It did'nt come with hanger bolts but oh well the loose change under the car seat or sofa will buy em. The nuts welded to the hanger brackets are the same thread as OE.

I should shoot some pics of that car and do a review on it. My review is :thumb:

You get alot of ground clearance on this exhaust vs some others I have seen.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back