The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Exhaust questions for GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CertifiedBot

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2021
Oneonta, Alabama
I have a 95 GSX and have been working to get it running.

I had to drop the tank and realized the exhaust is going to need a new flex pipe and the muffler is welded to the car, not on a hanger. I’d like to fix the muffler hanger and mount it correctly, and I think I’m going to put 2 v clamps on the pipe unless that’s a stupid idea.

I was curious if there’s any reason to mess with/change the down pipe also. What are some common upgrades for the exhaust and why? It’s a 2.5” pipe, is that the stock exhaust size?

If you have the ability to, why not? That’s what I always say LOL. I think stock is like 2.25” but don’t quote me on that because I had a NA galant to begin with.

I changed every singles flange on my car to VBands to keep everything consistent. Also the places I put them I can swap out setups whenever I want. No more gaskets and ease of installation 👌

Really depends on your plans for the car. If you plan on keeping it stock and driving it as the factory intended, then there's no real reason to change the exhaust beyond what is necessary to fix problems. Yes, 2.5 is stock.

If, however, you plan to increase hp and performance, make the change to a 3" turbo-back exhaust system. You won't see or feel much (if anything) just by making that change, but it sets you up for maximizing other performance mods. Increasing power means increasing the air/fuel charge in the combustion chambers... so having a larger exhaust allows your engine to breathe better. Too large isn't good (you need to keep the velocity of the moving air to maximize exhaust scavenging), and too small is restrictive, reducing max air flow through the turbo and in through the valves.

Exhaust systems can be fine tuned to maximize engine efficiency and power output, but that is not for the street as the fine tuning has to do with a lot of engineering, power bands, rpm running range, turbo size and type, etc. etc. etc. For the street, a 3" exhaust for performance on our cars is the way to go.

Thank you guys very much for your input! I’m going to fix the exhaust for now since I don’t know what I want to do with the car yet.

'Twer I you, and with no specific plans other than getting it road worthy, I'd do exactly what you're saying - just fix the flex pipe and muffler and leave the rest alone. If the $ value of the car is important to you, keep it stock (or return it to stock). Parts are getting hard or impossible to find, so the classifieds on here are golden. You can also hit up @jerseygsx as he often has stuff for sale.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back