The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Exhaust question for 2G 4g64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dire_Wolf_King

Probationary Member
Dec 4, 2022
Indianapolis, Indiana
So question i cant seem to get answered correctly is will the 4g63T Exhaust Manifold, Downpipe, etc. fit excluding the turbo? I have a 4g64 that i dont intend on boosting but would like to know what options i have for the exhaust. Right now, when i received the vehicle, it already had exhaust work done but now the welded in downpipe is touching the oil pan and the cat has rusted off on the rear flange. Just looking to see if i had the option to use the 4g63T manifold and downpipe, if not, will the 4g63T downpipe fit the 4g64 OEM manifold? Again, just checking my options and for a solid answer. Thanks

A 4g63t manifold will bolt to the head, yes. But not sure why you would try and use it without turbo.
A 4g63t downpipe will not bolt to ths 4g64 manifold.

A 4g63t manifold will bolt to the head, yes. But not sure why you would try and use it without turbo.
A 4g63t downpipe will not bolt to ths 4g64 manifold.
Too much trouble, time, and money right now to try and turbo it, and im finding that for my particular model, its a lot harder to find simple things than any other trim i feel like. Yeah itd probably be better to turbo but not worth the trouble of turboing it in my case. Unless someone knows where i can find at least a manifold and downpipe for the 4G64

Maybe.

Since it sounds like your existing exhaust has issues and what you call the downpipe is actually the front exhaust pipe on a 2.4 you might want to look for a aftermarket header and exhaust rather than any parts for a turbo car.

As other explained the a turbo manifold and downpipe won't work for you for two reasons, you would be missing the turbo and O2 housing in the middle and the design of the turbo exhaust manifold makes design tradeoffs that you wouldn't want on an NA engine.

Maybe.

Since it sounds like your existing exhaust has issues and what you call the downpipe is actually the front exhaust pipe on a 2.4 you might want to look for a aftermarket header and exhaust rather than any parts for a turbo car.

As other explained the a turbo manifold and downpipe won't work for you for two reasons, you would be missing the turbo and O2 housing in the middle and the design of the turbo exhaust manifold makes design tradeoffs that you wouldn't want on an NA engine.
ahh, so there is an O2 housing on the 4g63T in that location? Or you mean the one just under the subframe area on my model? And i guess i was wrong calling my pre cat exhaust pipe a downpipe? 😂

ahh, so there is an O2 housing on the 4g63T in that location? Or you mean the one just under the subframe area on my model? And i guess i was wrong calling my pre cat exhaust pipe a downpipe? 😂
You would be missing the turbine housing and o2 housing. It is not physically possible.
What's wrong with what you have?

Turbo Exhaust
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

See how the turbo and O2 housing fit between the manifold and downpipe.

2.4NA Exhaust

There manuals are available for download here and every owner should have a copy. They answer so many questions.

Turbo Exhaust

See how the turbo and O2 housing fit between the manifold and downpipe.

2.4NA Exhaust

There manuals are available for download here and every owner should have a copy. They answer so many questions.
ahhh, i see. i guess i was thinking that the exhaust on the 4g63T went straight down from the turbo. Thanks for clearing that up 👍

I will double this. Today's owners are so fortunate compared to the 90s when the only choice was a 150$ new book. No excuse for not having a factory service manual.

What challenge are you having with your exhaust now?

We use a 4-2-1 long tube header for our N/A 4G64. The 4-2 header bolts to the 2-1 collector.

Although the listing claimed it was a fit for this engine, we did have to elongate the holes on both ends of the header to bolt up to our ‘99 7-bolt head.

The front O2 bung is already welded in in the correct location so your wiring works without modification.

We had a custom exhaust built from the collector back. You can see pictures of the fit here, in our build thread:

Sun-Burned ’99 Spyder GS: Revived​

(Copy/paste in Search box)

What challenge are you having with your exhaust now?

We use a 4-2-1 long tube header for our N/A 4G64. The 4-2 header bolts to the 2-1 collector.

Although the listing claimed it was a fit for this engine, we did have to elongate the holes on both ends of the header to bolt up to our ‘99 7-bolt head.

The front O2 bung is already welded in in the correct location so your wiring works without modification.

We had a custom exhaust built from the collector back. You can see pictures of the fit here, in our build thread:

Sun-Burned ’99 Spyder GS: Revived​

(Copy/paste in Search box)
Its not pulling up anything for me unfortunately. i can figure out the exhaust from the catalytic back but its very difficult for me to find anything for the 4g64 as far as a exhaust manifold/header and the downpipe that connects to it. Everything im finding is either for the 420A or the 4g63T. any suggestions/sites?

Its not pulling up anything for me unfortunately. i can figure out the exhaust from the catalytic back but its very difficult for me to find anything for the 4g64 as far as a exhaust manifold/header and the downpipe that connects to it. Everything im finding is either for the 420A or the 4g63T. any suggestions/sites?
Yea, unless things have changed recently, theres no aftermarket header/manifold for the 2g spyder gs.

Yea, unless things have changed recently, theres no aftermarket header/manifold for the 2g spyder gs.
Alright, thank you! All of your answers have been very helpful! I actually was lucky to find an oem downpipe or 'front pipe' for the eclipse! Couldnt find any results until i swapped downpipe to front pipe in my searches. 🤦🏿‍♂️ And not too worried about performance per say, just trying to find at least some sort of replacement for this issue. Fingers crossed the manifold isnt tweaked in some way 🤞🏿

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back