The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Exhaust Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgold87

Proven Member
Nov 20, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
What's up guys, needed to replace my turbo cooling line and when I took the manifold off (turbo on) most of the studs came out with it so removal was cake.

Put a new stud kit on and trying to re-install that manifold with studs on this time and have tried everything and I can get the left side to drop on, but the right side won't line up. Is there a trick or do I need to somehow lower/remove the turbo for more room to work?

You're lucky! I just derusted and painted the upper manifold cover and engine hanger on my 1G and noticed that 2 of top studs were missing the nut, which makes me wonder what's keeping it on other than the remaining nut. Scary. Sorry, can't help you with this issue but I'm sure that one of the old pros will weigh in with useful advice. Did the manifold fit without studs in? Maybe it's the wrong kit for your engine and manifold? Just guessing. Good luck.

It’s a little tight but should be able to get it on. Barely put on one side and then tap the manifold on the other side. If you still can’t get it on, enlarge the hole(s) on the manifold. Not too much obviously.

I have an fp manifold and had to trim the p/s bracket to make it easier when I pull the manifold. I don’t think stock manifold was an issue for me.

What manifold do you have?

Last edited:
Are you sure you are putting the gasket on the right way? It only goes one way. Did you remove the cooling fans? I recently took my turbo-manifold off in one piece, swapped the studs, and it went back on without much trouble.(once I figured that the gasket only goes one way) I already had the fans out, too. The one nut on the far right side( toward the timing side) was tough to get a socket on.

If some of the studs are missing nuts, does that usually mean that the tip of the stud they were on broke off, or that just the nut unthreaded itself off, perhaps due to vibrations?

It's hard to tell. There might be just enough length projecting to allow a nut to be tightened onto it, or not. I'm guessing that they snapped off, perhaps during a repair years ago, although I don't recall ever having had exhaust, turbo or engine work done.

I was going to remove and derust and paint the manifold at some point so I'll replace the studs then. I'd rather not do it now because it's going to be a pain to extract the ones w/o nuts and I'd rather pass inspection first. And extraction is even harder on cold days.

The one stud I removed came out entirely and not just the end nut. Is that normal?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back