The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust manifold porting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krygods

Proven Member
Mar 2, 2016
lakewood, California
Been going at it for a few hours with the die grinder. Porting it for a e316g, you guys think it looks decent enough?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That looks awesome. I'd say you did a great job there. Just wondering if you don't mind me asking but using this method verse buying a new manifold will there still be a beneficial noticable out come?

Damn, that took a few hours? Shouldn't take you too long

Psychokid-I'm not sure what you mean. Any manifold that you buy new will not come ported unless you pay for the shop to port it for you. A brand new manifold will look like the top picture which is unported. You can just port it yourself if you own a grinder. Porting is just removing the extra material from the original manifold design in order to increase airflow.

Looks good, big.

Just make sure the inside is radiused good. You could also take some sanding drums and polish the divider to help prevent against cracks forming. Just don't go too thin on it.

Sorry what I ment was performance wise as a noticable out come. I'm still learning this all I just started getting into the dsm life and doing my own work. But still I think it looks good.

That's awesome! I'm gonna do that tomorrow but right now I just pulled the head off the block. I'm extremely excited!

What kind of bit were you using? I've been using a stone one and it seems like no progress is being made.

I used a pneumatic die grinder with a carbide burr for the material removal and the grinding stone pictured for smoothing things up afterwards. If you use a pneumatic die grinder make sure it's a decent one with no shaft play or the bit will be bouncing around all over the work and you'll end up chipping the burr (don't even bother trying a harbor freight die grinder). Single cut burrs remove material faster as opposed to double cut burrs that remove less material but leave a smoother finish.

Thanks that's what I need I been using some cheap ones and been porting for at least 3 hours and I feel I haven't done anything

Yea the cheap ones dull easily. A good burr should require minimal pressure to cut. If you need to remove a lot of material in a certain area try moving the burr in and out instead of side to side. Be careful, moving the burr in and out removes metal rapidly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back