The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust Manifold Porting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnj4life

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Marshall, Arkansas
Hey guys, I was wondering something. On the turbo side of the mainfold where you grind the ring gasket seat away do you do away with the tall divider inside as well? mine has cracks in the divider, and on the vfaq page it looks like the guy ground his down?

I am pretty sure you leave the divider there. Mine is ported and still has the divider. I've seen many pictures with the divider still there, to make sure you get even air flow.

Some people do, but I would say don't do it. Without that divider the exhaust pulses will hit each other and become much more turbulant instead of beiing pointed down into the turbine housing. Just port the ring, leave the rest.

Thanks for the info. Also, what all do I port on my 16g coming in? Do I just port the wastgate and where it bolts to the manifold? What about the compressor opening on the wastgate side?

91TSi FWD said:
Some people do, but I would say don't do it. Without that divider the exhaust pulses will hit each other and become much more turbulant instead of beiing pointed down into the turbine housing. Just port the ring, leave the rest.

I've read a whole bunch about this before I did the porting on my car and I couldn't find enough info for me to justify leaving the divider in there. My divider was in pretty bad shape when I got a good look at it and it was cracking along the bottom. I figured it was easier for me to take it out than have it break loose and destroy my turbo. Check yours and see what type of shape it's in while you are grinding out everything else. Plus this makes it a lot easier to port the bottom of the collector.

As far as power differences, I have the divider out in mine and my buddy has his ported with the divider still in there and you can't tell who has what done. The only thing I did to combat this whole theory of exhaust gases interrupting each other was to polish the entire collertor area down to a glossy finish and smooth out every edge that I could.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back