The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Exhaust Manifold Oil Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eSpyder407

Proven Member
Jun 18, 2016
Pawleys Island, South_Carolina
I've got a small amount of oil collecting in the first 'valley' on the left side of the exhaust manifold (between #4 and #1 cylinders). Where is this coming from?

The head and block were just rebuilt by a reputable shop in the area about 100 miles ago, I've seen other posts talk about valve seals? Is that it? Could it be something else?

Pic attached, you can see a small collection of oil between the gasket and manifold.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 191
Boy, it's really hard to see any oil in your picture. And you say it's on the left side, but between cylinder 4 and 1. :hmm: Do you mean between cylinder 4 and 3 maybe? Could it be your valve cover leaking down by any chance?

i hear ya... the fact that it is really new/clean oil doesn't help seeing it either. I did have a valve cover gasket leak (which i fixed this week w/new gasket) but even so - the location of that VC leak doesn't make sense as to where the oil has been collecting on the manifold, right? Also the bolts on the left side of the EM don't go into the oil channels, they stop... those bolts that commonly leak are on the right side of the EM and those are good as far as i can tell. I would think if it were valve seals the oil leaking would not be as clean as it is?

I've added a new pic to help explain. I have not had a lot of drive time with the new VC gasket, so maybe that will be the fix? Just wanted to get some experienced opinions on this before having to pull the EM/Turbo/etc. and dig further

Attachments

• EMLeak.PNG
    EMLeak.PNG
    185.1 KB · Views: 208
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back