The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Exhaust manifold hardware

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I haven't seen this asked anywhere, but can we use bolts to install the exhaust manifold instead of the studs? I get that the studs are probably used just to keep the threads in the head from being stripped, but why wouldn't the intake side also use studs? Only asking since I have 2 broken studs and can only remove them with an extractor now. But is this a viable idea?

I did it with some socket head cap screws or Allen head bolts since when I rebuilt my engine all the new studs were rusted to the nuts that were also new and the studs just came out entirely. I don't have a problem but I do have a problem with with the next connection where the nuts come off of the bolts no matter what I do. I have a non-turbo though and the only problem is you have to hold the manifold while you start the bolts instead of just sliding them on the studs.

Constant heat cycling is harder on the exhaust side vs intake, so studs are a better prevention method for keeping things sealed as expansion and contraction happens. Bolts can be used, but check them often and use nickel antisieze.

I use the Arp polished 12 point bolts, I dont have clearance to pull my manifold away from the head far enough to clear studs as it is and these dont rust or corrode, they are pricey though, you get what you pay for.

Theres titanium studs out there that won’t rust or corrode, problem solved. Theres a number of vendors out there. I offer them for the turbine fange but not the head flange

For what it’s worth there are studs for the intake side also

The reason studs are better is to protect the head threads, when removing and installing bolts might risj galling the aluminum, nut and stud only puts stressed on a cheap removable part if the studs threads were messed up it’s a lot cheaper tonreplace a stud then tap a head or replace a head

Sadly they're only easier to remove when they're not sheared all the way at the flange like mine. I have to use an extractor on them and hope I don't break the extractor in the process. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back