The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Exhaust Leak Tester?! Loosing boost and loud humming... need a leak tester

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnumba1

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2004
South Georiga, Georgia
Ok well I have done a lot of maintanence stuff latly... timing belt.. all seals.. valve cover gasket oil change radiator flush tranny flush and I had a bolt missing on my exaust manifold so I helicoiled it put a stock stud in and bolted back on the exhaust manifold ( with ALL new gaskets) I know there is a exhaust leak somewhere casue at idle no noise(no boost tring to leave) then I revv it up and the higher RPMs are the louder the humming. When I drive and I hit boost there is NO PULL AT ALL I just see boost go up and no power... :( so I need to find this leak because there is no carbon deposits or anything and I put my hand all over the exaust and couldnt find it at start up... or by what im describing is there an exact spot I should look at
thanx,
Sam

P.S. I torqued all the bolts down to spec throughout exaust... im thinking the manifold possibly bent while the screw was gone

Sounds like your leak could be somewhere in your intercooler piping and not in the exhaust. You can check vfaq.com for how to do an intake leak test. You should also check your spark plugs and make sure you are using premium fuel.

try poppin your good and having someone else rev the car and you feel around for air blowing out or anything like that. and a leak after your turbo wouldnt make you feel no boost at all

now im getting sorta pissed i tightened all my exaust studs to spec and did boost leak test NO LEAKS hooked up my EGR just in case nothin... I have no boost leaks I cant figure out if there is exhaust leak im so confused.. the vibration feels like its from intake manf

Sorry to hijack the thread just have 1 question ......If i had a leak from my inake manifold would that effect my car??? i hear this little noise coming from back there any ideas??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back