The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Exhaust Leak on new HX40 Setup HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PredatorSniper

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2012
Wichita, Kansas
This is driving me nuts. I just welded up a new 3" downpipe V-Band to my HX40 .70ar BEP housing. I bought a new ERL cast T3 manifold put everything together and I have a slight sound of an exhaust leak. Now I didnt' think this was a bid deal at the time, when I bolted the manifold up to the head one stud must have been stripped cause it just kept on spinning and spinning. Is this the source of the leak that one stud couldn't be tightened down, I mean the face of that ERL manifold is all one piece? I have a MLS gasket also. So the main question with all this new welding and mock up of this new downpipe and manifold where is my exhaust leak? How can I find it?

Smoke a cigar or cigarette and blow the soke around the exhaust where things are attached and watch. The smoke will blow away from the leaking area and that should help narrow it down. And you should fix that stud anyways as well.

If you welded the vband yourself and didn't have it bolted on the turbo you could have warped the flange.

this most likely, also u can put a smoke machine used for checking EVAP leaks in the tailpipe then stuff a bunch of rags in after it and turn it on and it will fill the exhaust system with smoke and show the leaks. thats how i used to check mine

I like the paper clip and pliers thats pretty gangster

I'm battling a bad exhaust leak where the turbo flange meets my header

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back