The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Exhaust Camshaft Gear Doesnt Spin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan0104

Proven Member
Jun 1, 2015
Sacramento, California
Bought a 1991 1g GSX auto 112k, It has been sitting for 3 years, Previous owner claims he has rebuilt head, new transmission, 16g mhi evo 3 ported turbo , ported header, and o2 housing along with alot of other shit, and evo3 lifters that he may of installed him self. He also said he put a manual ecu in the auto for some sort of launch...

Anyhow, the timing belt is somewhat loose on one side and the exhaust side camshaft gear doesnt spin, I moved it a bit and then it wont move anymore, There is no oil on the top of the engine under valve cover or on cams at all. Been sitting 3 years.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

pics of cams attatched

Attachments

• IMG_1867.JPG
    IMG_1867.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Cant blow through injectors even with 12v battery? We used mouth pressure and clr to clean, and 12v, got a steady line of fluid, need to find ohm tester for injectors

Uhhh I know that different injectors have differnt patterns, is the pintle In good shape like any damage ?

And it is possible that you need more pressure to make the misty pattern i haven't had to test the spray pattern or clean my injectors before cause I just got some new ones but get a multi meter you can test alot of sensors while your at it

Also just use a compressor but don't blow out the insides if it's even possible haha if you can find one to use I know the car washes here usually have air compressors with differnt attachments might work LOL

Last edited:
The plastic looking three prongs on top or the bottom end tip? Not sure what a pintle is but the end tips are good plastic prongs two lookes worn and two plastic covers had a crack at the bottom of injector.

Suspecting weak fuel pesssure is causing bad injector firing, seems like all cylinders shoot off but it just doesnt run. Other than the few times for moments

The plastic looking three prongs on top or the bottom end tip? Not sure what a pintle is but the end tips are good plastic prongs two lookes worn and two plastic covers had a crack at the bottom of injector.

Suspecting weak fuel pesssure is causing bad injector firing, seems like all cylinders shoot off but it just doesnt run. Other than the few times for moments

It's the pintle cap specifically, the plastic end on the injector cracks causes bad fuel spray

You could be flooding it , my car did that with a bad coolent temp sensor how's yours?

It acually sounded like your video it would catch sometimes but no matter what in the end it would get flooded and would have to wait and boost the battery when I first bought my car it was crappy injectors with a bad wire on my coolent temp sensor

Sounds like the plug wires are the ignition coils backwards order. (wires on opposite coil they should be on)

New coolant temp sensor and two plastic caps on the end of the injectors (pintle?) Have cracks

That causes bad fuel spray? I read they were for protection
Ahh okay that's good one less thing to figure out, and yes its there for protection mine were cracked in half causeing a leak and messed up the spray cause it was that bad LOL

But you have to wonder why did it crack ?
The injectors that were cracked on my car ohmd out at 70 ohms and we're stuck open it was enough to make me get differnt ones , get a multi meter yet? Great investment

Got it running this morning, and ran for about 20 minutes kind of ruff idling around 1-1.5k, and the battery died, after charging it it turned back on and ran for another 15-20 mins
we went inside the car and turned the headlights on which caused the power switch instead of economy to switch on, abs light came on and OD light came on, we turned headlights off and tried fog ligjts, few seconds later car just turned off, we also tried the ac and it dtropped the idle a bit. Now after charging the battery it wont even crank it just tries, cams move a bit and it stops, also cant move them by hand. Lifters were also very noisy while it was running, Any ideas why cams wont spin now?

Forgot to meantion, bottom of the spark plug closest to timing belt is blown up. Guessing thats why engine would not turn on, but not sure why it wont crank now unless the engine blew, but the cams do still move a very small amount inch at most

Went back out pulled valve cover no visible damage, camshaft wont spin at all now, metal shavings in cylinder blown plug pulled out of, is my engine blown? Whats the potential damage?

99% sure it sounds like your timing got messed up.... had the same thing happen to my car you couldnt rotate it because valves would hit pistons.
One of the heads of the valves even broke off and damaged spark plugs..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Believe the timing is right due to siezed lifter, and timing marks look like they match up, guess next step is pull the timing and cams, pull cam caps and lifters and see if that stuck lifter is causing no rotation, is it possible to test for bad valves? Passed the wiggle test, not sure if I should just pull the head to?

Last edited:
I i just had this problem in my 95 talon tsi manually turn your crank 180 if your cams arnt spinning. It is most likely your crank and cam sensors. I replaced those and it runs bettervthan ever. Same starting problem as yours.

Idk why you think its lifters........ if one camshaft isnt spinning and the other one is your timings destroyed.. and your valves most likely hit like the picture i showed you..
But you can take all the lifters out and use a paper clip to bleed them all and make sure you can push them down by hand

Head is pulled and no I no longer think it is lifters. I did because one lifter was stuck open as the other was closed when they should be in the same position I also heard a loud tick and they have sat three years likely wth no oil. Now im thinking the tick could of Been the valves smacking, and only one cam was spinning at the very beginning of the post I have stated they both spin before and then stopped again, I thought I had stated the head was already off the car sorry, but yes it needs a full rebuild. And isnt proper lifter bleeding procedure to compress them in a vice? Doesnt seem like you could squeeze by hand if so

Place a straightened paperclip down the center hole of the HLA's (lifters) and it will hit the pressure relief ball and will let them bleed out any oil that keeps them pumped up. I had a terrible experience where I rolled my cams over by hand with my pistons all mid-bore and my HLA's were not bled which led to 6 bent exhaust valves before I could blink an eye from the intake valves touching the exhaust valves and that was the end of those.

Ok so you checked theres no bent valves? 1990 talon nailed it dead on with bleeding them.. bleed them and then get some new oil stick them under and do the same thing then bleed them off again to clean them out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back