The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Exhaust cam gear shifted by a tooth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseGSXLincoln

Probationary Member
May 27, 2022
Lincoln, Nebraska
My exhaust cam gear shifted slightly counter clockwise right as I took my timing belt off. It's a 4G63T and I'm trying to figure out the proper way to set it back. I checked in the documentation and can't get a good idea of what to do. After searching, some say with similar engines that you can just rotate the gear however far back until they line up again and put the belt on. Not knowing a whole lot about the possible consequences of this, does this sound right?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you remove the timing belt with the cylinder #1 at TDC, the exhaust cam would be pushed back counterclockwise by a tooth is normal. That's even mentioned in the factory service manual. But do not rotate the cams without the timing belt installed. You may regret by ending up to bend valves.

If you remove the timing belt with the cylinder #1 at TDC, the exhaust cam would be pushed back counterclockwise by a tooth is normal. That's even mentioned in the factory service manual. But do not rotate the cams without the timing belt installed. You may regret by ending up to bend valves.
So if I wait to move the cams until the belt is back on, they will still remain a tooth off I'm assuming. Is there a proper way to re align them without risking valves?

That's normal when removing the belt. Just put a 17mm wrench on the cam bolt and rotate it a tiny bit clockwise so you can get your belt on with the marks aligned (and then clamp your belt to each gear so the belt doesn't slip off). Just be careful not to rotate either cam any further than a tooth or so if your crank is TDC or BDC. If you want to be extra cautious, rotate your crank away from TDC or BDC before moving a cam.

So if I wait to move the cams until the belt is back on, they will still remain a tooth off I'm assuming. Is there a proper way to re align them without risking valves?
You need to advance a tooth when you put back the belt. That's won't cause problem. But don't rotate many teeth. Please refer the FSM.

Sounds like you took your timing belt off without a proper game plan on how to correctly re install it.

This is all you should need to understand how to install the belt.

-Daniel
You might just be right on that one. The quote to have a shop do it was too high for me. So I tried learning what I could and tackled it like I have everything else, which is to just do it. Sometimes it gets me in situations similar to this. Thank you for the link.

-Also Daniel

You may want to invest in the 3 piece timing belt tool kit. Makes the install much easier. Really the only way to properly tension the happy face pulley as well IMO.

Also the faq shows a different way but I like to zip tie the timing belt to the cam gears while installing the belt to help hold everything together until I’m ready to rotate the motor by hand.

-Daniel

Here's how mine looked. A lot easier, but not necessary, with the engine out of the car. It gives you a nice visual of the clamps and where the marks, including the crank, should align. I've done it many times inside the car without any special tools.

Here's how mine looked. A lot easier, but not necessary, with the engine out of the car. It gives you a nice visual of the clamps and where the marks, including the crank, should align. I've done it many times inside the car without any special tools.
This is a great visual. Thank you.

If you have the original 7 bolt in the car you need to follow the 93 instructions in the link I posted. The timing mark for the crank is different than the one posted in the picture above.

Also the tensioner pulley I believe rotates the opposite way. It will only rotate one way putting tension on it without interfering with a part of the front case so should be self explanatory.

-Daniel

This is a great visual. Thank you.
Keep in mind I don't have a balance belt or balance shafts in that pic. So be sure to read up the vfaq how to properly time the b-belt if you do have it installed. Also as pointed out, this is a 91 4g63 (6-bolt), so it is a little different than your 2g.

You guys are getting the OP all nervous.
OP you aren't in a situation. This is normal. when you're ready you just put the belt on and rotate the cam forward that one tooth. If you need to rotate cams during this job you just have to make sure none of the pistons are at the top. I assume you had the crank lined up. That would make 1 and 4 at the top. If the crank is move a few degrees away from the mark then no pistons are at the top. No problem. Just move it back when you're ready to put the belt on.
BTW those huge clamps are awesome. On the car office binder clips work great. I keep a pair with my timing belt tools.

Just use a wrench to turn it back to where it was so you can put the belt across it properly. Once the belt is lined up across them so they are at top dead center; zip tie the belt to the cam gears so that when the cam gear tries to move like that again; that they belt doesnt slip off and your actually set timing off by a tooth

I use a set of 17mm spanners and squeeze them together with one hand while I lay the belt over with the other, then zip tie as above.
You can get 4g63 cam alignment tools on aliexpress even nowadays, of all places, provided you're willing to wait the 6 weeks. However I cannot speak to their accuracy on tooth alignment. Perhaps I should take the plunge though I don't really need one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back