The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Exhaust/ boost leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stheodore10

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2012
Hillsborough, New_Jersey
Symptoms:
Backfire-like sound when I let off the gas
Won't hit full boost when it should

I read somewhere that if there's a hole in a gasket, the air escaping will burn a hole in either end of whatever the gasket is sealing

This leads me to believe its in the exhaust manifold, hopefully just replacing a gasket will fix it

Any suggestions/ conformations of my theory?

If you suspect an exhaust leak, run some Seafoam through the system. It will cause the exhaust to smoke up and any leaks will become apparent. It will smoke a lot as a heads up.

Before I fixed the broken stud and replaced my exhaust manifold gasket, my car sounded like a banshee & made all sorts of noises when the Turbo spoiled up! Of course when I went to loosen the nuts to remove the manifold, I found that all the nuts were loose. Lol now its quite as can be

@liquid do you have a link handy on how to do that? Heard of it but never knew how to apply it

@weapon I have one bolt kind of coming out more than the rest, but I tightened it as much as possible without over torquing it

Just slowly let the liquid get sucked into the intake manifold, keep the engine at a speed of 1000rpm or so and watch the smoke show.

MCCC is easier to use as it's a spray bottle but with the seafoam, you just need to monitor how much fluid is getting sucked up the vacuum line. Do a search, it's all over the forum on how to use it.

If one of the bolts is sticking out more than the rest, its probably broken off inside the head. You may have caught a few threads by tightening it up a little bit, but you will most likely find that when you remove the manifold, it will be broken. Also once you remove the manifold, extract the big stud out of the Turbo & replace it with another bolt. Makes removing the manifold in the future so much easier! Also if you remove the O2 sensor housing & Turbo exhaust housing at the same time as the manifold, you dont have to disconnect any cooler lines going to the turbo to get the manifold off. & while you have all of these off, port them before you put it all back together.

Venting, I believe they are referring to your bov being vented to the atmosphere rather then recirculated.
Did tightening up those bolts help anything, with full boost or anything? Because that sounds like why you were boosting as much as you could.
As for the backfire, check to see how your plus are, cables and coil pack. Make sure all those are good and the plugs are gapped correctly. Try that along wi a blt and let us know.

Yea by venting I would imagine he means whether your blow off valve is open atmosphere (vented) or recirculating. Porting is where you take something & make it larger. In reference to exhaust, this means grinding out the inside of the housing & making the cavities larger in diameter. The easiest way to do this is to use a straight angle die grinder with a carbide burr bit on the end. When you have the manifold, Turbo exhaust housing & O2 sensor housing off, you will notice a lip at the collectors. Its roughly about a 1/4" thick & where the Turbo housing & manifold meet there's actually a metal ring that rests on this lip to help align the two up. You basically want to grind away this lip until the inside diameter is flush & the same size as the collector hole itself, moving in a circular motion until its smooth & gradual. Then sand the surface with 180 & 240 grit sandpaper to make it nice and smooth. Any roughness will be prone to cracking. Believe me, its not as hard as it sounds & it makes a huge difference!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

not sure if this is normal or not but i need help here :ohdamn:

also two of the 12mm studs broke off, any help here?

one more problem, what do i do with the one odd stud coming up from the turbo???

If you have all the nuts removed from the head, then you should be able to pull the exhaust manifold towards the front bumper, then lift it off the stud.

finally got it off... found a completely snapped gasket b/w manifold and turbo, any suggestions on where to get a new one? i have an evo iii 16g and id love to order from a place that'll sell me exhaust manifold gaskets and new studs and bolts for the manifold :|

sorry for the double post but i now have two new problems; snapped bolts:

one in the turbo inlet

and two of these in the head

i would definitely not like to take apart the turbo and bring it to a machine shop, who can help?

Well damn! Its not actually as bad as it looks. This is why I suggested taking the O2 housing off the Turbo & then taking the exhaust housing off the Turbo ... But yes, unbolting the O2 housing from the exhaust will allow you to pry the Turbo enough away from the engine so that the manifold will slide off the stud. But u end up bending all the cooler lines going to the Turbo & then u have to bend them back upon installation. Regardless, its off now & now u can drill & extract out the broken stud, which the upper left one always breaks btw. & since you somehow snapped the stud on the Turbo exhaust housing off, now you have to drill & extract that out too. Which is fine, because this is the big stud I was saying to extract out & replace with a bolt anyways. Instead of having 3 bolts & a stud connecting the manifold to the Turbo, use 4 bolts. This makes the manifold sooooo much easier to remove & install in the future. You dont have to unbolt anything except the manifold & it slides right out because there's huge stud in the way. Make sense? Also, now that you have it all off do u see the lip that I mentioned before regarding porting? It should be clear as day. If you still dont see what I'm talking about, just look up porting Turbo exhaust housing on YouTube & there's a very good video of how its done.

Be sure to get the OEM o2 to manifold gasket. It is a MLS gasket and not a solid steel gasket which have a high tendency to warp and crack.

Forced Performance is a good place to get new studs and the gaskets too. I would even consider getting an inline oil filter for the turbo if you can fit it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back