The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

exaust cut out??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b17tuner said:
These might sound good on v8's but how does it sound at the track or down a street race? :confused:

This seems like it would loose a lot of low end power..

Anyone gut a stock tsi muffler and run straight pipes through it?

WHAT?! Why would it lose low end power?

RiceKiller_TSi said:
I personally would prefer spending $120 over $1120 for better flow. With that extra $1000 one could afford to actually buy gas for the car. :D

Well, if you're planning on spending 1120 on an exhaust, shoot yourself.

It cost me under 300 to make my 2.5" downpipe to 3" exhaust.

kpt4321 said:
Well, if you're planning on spending 1120 on an exhaust, shoot yourself.

Im not. I plan on spending $120 like I said.

It cost me under 300 to make my 2.5" downpipe to 3" exhaust.

Thats great. I doubt everyone could pull that off. $120 + around $50 is still cheaper though.

so how much does it cost to get the cutout welded on the downpipe? how would the stock downpipe w/cut out flow? that would be sweet, if i didnt even have to get a downpipe. whats the stock size? 2 1/2? :talon:

WOW!!!...so how many of you that have been talking about this actually have one installed now? And how many of you that said you would post a vid actually do it? what the use of talking about it and saying your gonna "have it on by next week, and ill post a vid" if your not gonna do it...I see that happen alot though

It should cost anywhere from 30$ and under to weld it in...If they quote u more...find a new exhaust shop..

And yes the stock DP would Flow almost free flow with a cut out...But a 3" would flow that much more

I can actually see both sides of this argument ...ones a sleeper. Nice and quiet car...they look at u and see that u dont even have exhaust (easy win they think)yet then as your reving up for launch, open the cut out and BLAM!!!!....But the other side of it is not only having a 3" exhaust system all the time with better than stock flow, you also in most cases get weight savings with after market exhaust(compared to mitsu's poor designed heavy steel muffler/cat and tubing) Although mitsu did have the active exhuast on the first gen vr4's. Its just too bad the law prevented them from installing it b4 the cat

but nothing will flow better than a cut out

Air and water take the path of least resistance (common sence) so i would think that 98% of the exhaust would leave out of the cut out and the other 2% wouldnt matter

I unhooked my exhaust on my 3KGT once at the strip right at the downpipe...Was INSANLY loud but dropped me a second in the quarter. spooled a hell of alot quicker and obtained a higher psi and held it to red line

Now as for losing low-end grunt??? Ive heard the same amount of people tell me that the best exhuast system for a turbo car is no exhaust.... as ive heard people tell me that you lose the low end grunt
Now what info they have to back it up I dont know. But you dont see FULL drag Turbo cars in the magazines running there pipes to the back of the car. They shoot it right out the side.
If someone could explain why theres a loss in low end power, if any? it would be appreciated by me.

When i had my DP unhooked i didnt notice any less power off the line. 7 Grand launches might be the reason though. Pit speeds were 5mph. My car was either floored of putting along. So i didnt get a chance to test it

thanks for the info dude! im going to have it installed on my stocker. but when i do, im going to get the dmh one. 4 year guarentee! i dont mind paying a little extra. im still saving like 5-6 hundred bucks! :talon:

Yea, that one is 2". I think I bought it from JCWhitney. It was a while ago so I can't remember. It was $35 or so, I think.

It was 2.25", and it fit on the stock downpipe pretty snug. I welded it on, and it may have leaked a bit, but you really couldn't notice. It sounded stock.

As far as I know, no one has any pull-cable 2.5" ones. I wanted a 2.5" one, but couldn't find one, and didn't want to spend a lot of money on the electronic ones.

The 3" cutouts Summit Racing sells in their exhaust section cost just a few dollars. They have three wingnuts that secure the plate over the cutout. If you ask me, the cutout is a reason to run a street legal exhaust with a cat and one thats reasonably quiet. :shhh: :talon:

I'm really starting to think that the future of exhaust cutouts relies on wastegate actuators. When you hit a desired boost, the (3") flapper opens, and BAM! Full 3" exhaust, only when you need it (and the only switch you have to press is the gas pedal)

Anyone else pursuing this option?

Now as for losing low-end grunt??? Ive heard the same amount of people tell me that the best exhuast system for a turbo car is no exhaust.... as ive heard people tell me that you lose the low end grunt

The loss of low-end grunt would apply more for an n/a motor. I also read on the subject but I wanted to see the facts in real life. I own a 93 Ford Probe GT with an n/a 2.5 V6 and a 92 Eagle Talon Tsi with the ''almighty'' turbo. With the stock exhaust disconnected after the cat on the Probe, the car sufferred a major loss of torque. Going up an incline required substianlly more throttle. On the other hand, the Talon gained faster turbo spoolup and seat-of-the -pants-hp with the exhaust disconnected right after the downpipe. But the sound would be unbearable for daily driving!

Note that this is what I experienced with my cars, others may have other results. :thumb:

I think im about to buy one from QT but one thing I thought of, what size is the piping on the Y piece? I can get my stock cat back cut and welded for free but how does it work if the Y pipe is 3 inches and youre mating it to the stock piping? Also going to buy a 3 inch down pipe so that end isn't a prob.

swing lo said:
Don't know if you saw this one on the website or not yet, but this guy put it on his turbo civic almost at the o/2 housing.

I know all of you guy's have seen the video's with cheese frog's turboed b18b racing that viper that was all over the web a couple of month's ago.

cheese frog uses an electric cut-out as well. When i get my new downpipe next week i will take pictures of it installed.

This pic is on a turbo civic as well

a few months ago? try a few years ago, cheesefrog is old school LOL h town owns

so does anyone have any pictures or vid's of their setups yet/???? im very interested... im thinking of re-making my whole exhaust with this on there....
like to see where and how people monted and set theirs up.. also where did they bring the cord for the switch up into the "cockpit"???

SuperSleeper said:
I'm really starting to think that the future of exhaust cutouts relies on wastegate actuators. When you hit a desired boost, the (3") flapper opens, and BAM! Full 3" exhaust, only when you need it (and the only switch you have to press is the gas pedal)

Anyone else pursuing this option?

atpturbo.com sells them, but I would think that you would add on a little bit of spool time by waiting untill you actually created some boost pressure.

:dsm: my friends camaro has a full exhaust cut out. Its completely custom with a Y-fitting just before the cat. and goes straight out the side. the Y-fitting has a valve like a waterpipe you can have full on or full off. it looks kinda wierd b/cthere are two exhaust exits but once u see him switch it... cover your ears. It's real loud just with the regular exhaust(which is the stock location) the other goes out the passengerside. its a full 3inch similar to the one on hp tv. increidble sound of ponies with a big ass injection of nos!!!!!(60shot) :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back