The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

evox tdo5h turbine compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniekak

DSM Wiseman
Mar 23, 2008
Surprise, Arizona
Will the evox center sections clamp onto a dsm/evo1-3 turbine housing? I know some of the td04 turbo's have different lip depths on the center housing, and you have to use a turbine housing with the proper seating depth. The inducer/exducer measurements of the turbine are the same, but the turbine is supposedly made of lighter materials to aid in spoolup.

I don't remember if the turbine blades are made differenlty then the previous Evo 4-9 turbos, I'll have to look into that a bit. But in terms of spool up, most of that is due to the twin scroll turbine housing splittting up the exhaust pulses.

Switching to a whole Evo X turbo is a fantastic option but the difficulty is making a manifold for it. Well no difficult, just hard to find. The X has been out for 2 years over here and still no one has decided to Fab up a tubular header to make it a bolt-on affair.

The inducer/exducer measurements of the turbine are the same, but the turbine is supposedly made of lighter materials to aid in spoolup.
Probably bullshit. Just like with the Evo III turbines which are said to contain more Inconel than a standard TD05H turbine, when you go to buy a TD05H turbine new there is only one part number that I've ever received, and nobody's ever asked what turbo it's going into.

The TD05H is already the quickest-spooling turbine in it's class, how much better can it get with certain wheel combinations? What I mean is if the "new" wheel is a little lighter, how much more efficient is it, really? Probably so little that a timing adjustment could make a standard 05H turbine perform the same.

Switching to a whole Evo X turbo is a fantastic option but the difficulty is making a manifold for it. Well no difficult, just hard to find. The X has been out for 2 years over here and still no one has decided to Fab up a tubular header to make it a bolt-on affair.
Kinda sorta. The Evo X turbo has a 15G compressor, so unless you were upgrading the compressor wheel on the turbo at the time of installation you may just be better off with an Evo III 16G.

Something that would spark some interest would be taking a conversion manifold (one that has a DSM head flange and an Evo X turbine flange) and using it with an Evo X turbine housing, but installing a standard Mitsu turbo, like a 20G with a downfiring outlet. Twin-scroll technology, proven 20G airflow. That's a fun-sounding setup.

Something that would spark some interest would be taking a conversion manifold (one that has a DSM head flange and an Evo X turbine flange) and using it with an Evo X turbine housing, but installing a standard Mitsu turbo, like a 20G with a downfiring outlet. Twin-scroll technology, proven 20G airflow. That's a fun-sounding setup.

This is something I have been waiting to see. Well, sort of.

I would like to see a DSM flanged twin scroll manifold and 8cm twin scroll housing for a TD05. Put that on a evo 3. :hmm:

15g it may be, but it can still flow 40+lbs/min without wheel upgrades. That combined with the TS housing makes for a pretty nifty package. The only thing we are missing is MIVEC for better spoolup and top end.

Probably bullshit. Just like with the Evo III turbines which are said to contain more Inconel than a standard TD05H turbine, when you go to buy a TD05H turbine new there is only one part number that I've ever received, and nobody's ever asked what turbo it's going into.

The TD05H is already the quickest-spooling turbine in it's class, how much better can it get with certain wheel combinations? What I mean is if the "new" wheel is a little lighter, how much more efficient is it, really? Probably so little that a timing adjustment could make a standard 05H turbine perform the same.

Kinda sorta. The Evo X turbo has a 15G compressor, so unless you were upgrading the compressor wheel on the turbo at the time of installation you may just be better off with an Evo III 16G.

Sounds like you have a hybrid you need to start working on Justin ;)

15g it may be, but it can still flow 40+lbs/min without wheel upgrades.
But that could be the responsibility of the twin-scroll housing, or the Mivec...and obviously you can't Mivec a DSM.

It would be interesting to see the results- if the twin-scroll can be attributed to the better flow from a smaller compressor platform, we could see 50-trim flow numbers out of a standard 20G.

15g it may be, but it can still flow 40+lbs/min without wheel upgrades. That combined with the TS housing makes for a pretty nifty package. The only thing we are missing is MIVEC for better spoolup and top end.

I was interested in another 40lb/min td05 option.

My main question is. Can you just slap a 7cm dsm housing on an evox turbo, to make it a bolt on upgrade?

I was interested in another 40lb/min td05 option.

My main question is. Can you just slap a 7cm dsm housing on an evox turbo, to make it a bolt on upgrade?

I would email FP about that seeing as they work with both turbos. But if that's what you truly want to do, you might as well get the hta68. Which is what I think they'd sat to you too.

I would email FP about that seeing as they work with both turbos. But if that's what you truly want to do, you might as well get the hta68. Which is what I think they'd sat to you too.

68 hta's aren't on ebay for $250 all the time. I have a holset hx 35 in the garage, i'm just looking for some cheap 400hp alternatives.

But that could be the responsibility of the twin-scroll housing, or the Mivec...and obviously you can't Mivec a DSM.

It would be interesting to see the results- if the twin-scroll can be attributed to the better flow from a smaller compressor platform, we could see 50-trim flow numbers out of a standard 20G.

dsmivec? well you can but it is alot of work. also the exoX turbne is a 12cm,

15g compressor map:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now, yes this is the td04h 15g compressor map. But as far as we all know, MHI doesn't have two 15g compressor wheels; the td04h designation is for the compressor housing. As well we all know that the compressor housing affects flow VERY LITTLE. See the td06 big 16g vs the td05h big 16g maps.

The 14b compressor map peaks out at .23m^3/sec (170,000rpms). The 15g peaks out at .21m^3/sec (170,000rpms). The big 16g peaks out at .27m^3/sec. We all know a 14b doesnt' actually flow anywhere close to 40lb/min. The big 16g does however. Which corresponds to about .27m^3/sec at 20*C.

Well there seems to be alot of intrest in this so I wonder if anybody would make a custom tubular manifold for us and make it worth the money for this turbo swap?
Everybody knows that as soon as an Evo part is compatible with DSM's everybody wants it on there car or atleast most people do so they can just say I have an Evo this or that and get the AWW effect from people that dont know haha

15g compressor map:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now, yes this is the td04h 15g compressor map. But as far as we all know, MHI doesn't have two 15g compressor wheels; the td04h designation is for the compressor housing. As well we all know that the compressor housing affects flow VERY LITTLE. See the td06 big 16g vs the td05h big 16g maps.

The 14b compressor map peaks out at .23m^3/sec (170,000rpms). The 15g peaks out at .21m^3/sec (170,000rpms). The big 16g peaks out at .27m^3/sec. We all know a 14b doesnt' actually flow anywhere close to 40lb/min. The big 16g does however. Which corresponds to about .27m^3/sec at 20*C.

Whatever is used for a compressor in the evox, it flows more than 30 lbs/min.

but the turbine is supposedly made of lighter materials to aid in spoolup.

Some of the special edition Evos have different turbine and compressor materials.

For example the the Tommi Makinen editions(Evo6.5) had Titanium-Aluminum Alloy turbine wheels.

Some models also had Magnesium compressor wheels, but these wheels don't handle higher boost levels as well as the standard compressor wheels.

To my knowledge all normal production Evos use standard materials for the compressor and turbine wheels.

-----------------------------------------------
The EvoX compressor is a 152G6.

48mm inducer and 68mm exducer making it a 48 trim.
[TD04-15G is 41mm / 55.5mm]

[16G6(Evo3) is also 48mm / 68mm]

(I don't have numbers down to the thousandths, so not sure is exact same size. But have read it is slightly smaller then a Big16G)
12 blade (6 full/6 splitter).

Advertised flowrate is 42lbs/min.

JDM RS and GSR alike had TD05HA-152G6-12T turbos with the titanium aluminium alloy turbine wheel, version 01631, Inconel turbine wheel options available under turbo version 01640 and 01641.

TD05HA = Titanium Aluminum Alloy
TD05H = Inconel

The 152G6 seems like it might be a Big Big 15G. TD04 vs TD06 frame size.

Last edited:
Some of the special edition Evos have different turbine and compressor materials.

For example the the Tommi Makinen editions(Evo6.5) had Titanium-Aluminum Alloy turbine wheels.

Some models also had Magnesium compressor wheels, but these wheels don't handle higher boost levels as well as the standard compressor wheels.

To my knowledge all normal production Evos use standard materials for the compressor and turbine wheels.

-----------------------------------------------
The EvoX compressor is a 152G6.

48mm inducer and 68mm exducer making it a 48 trim.
12 blade (6 full/6 splitter).

Advertised flowrate is 42lbs/min.

TD05HA = Titanium Aluminum Alloy
TD05H = Inconel

Sounds a lot like a wheel we are all familiar with. Which would make sticking one of these into a dsm turbine housing well worth the $2-300 they go for.

Sounds a lot like a wheel we are all familiar with. Which would make sticking one of these into a dsm turbine housing well worth the $2-300 they go for.

If the compressor covers are compatible with our old style ones, you could make a bad ass turbo for cheap.

20G, "Green", "Red", "Black" with the Twin Scroll 12cm would move some serious air and still spool quick. The Evo guys make some serious power with the smaller 10cm housings.

I think the TD05H-152G6 in a 7cm housing would end up being a sub-par Evo3-16G.

I think the TD05H-152G6 in a 7cm housing would end up being a sub-par Evo3-16G.

Exactly what I was trying to get at. Despite being a TS design, the overall inner volume is still greater then our bolt on offerings which yield better exhaust flow and less backpressure. All the while still offering fast spool up times from the separation of the cylinder exhaust pulses.

I did 385whp in my Evo X. However, that was at 28psi dropping to 20psi by 7k. 28psi was reached by 2850rpm. Peak power was not affected as much with Mivec, but spool-up and low to midrange torque was substantially affected by it.

I really don't think its worth it for our cars. Pick up that FP turbo and be done with it.

Now that ive been reading up on the FP 68HTA it is a badass turbo to say the least.....
For all the work you would have to do and or customize I dont think it would be worth the time/money to put an EvoX turbo or turbo parts in anything bolt-on to our cars! Just go get a FP68 and be done with it, Gofer has proved that the FP68 has plenty of power in its little size and spools amazingly if you cant be happy with that then you need a holset or something bigger.

Now that ive been reading up on the FP 68HTA it is a badass turbo to say the least.....
For all the work you would have to do and or customize I dont think it would be worth the time/money to put an EvoX turbo or turbo parts in anything bolt-on to our cars! Just go get a FP68 and be done with it, Gofer has proved that the FP68 has plenty of power in its little size and spools amazingly if you cant be happy with that then you need a holset or something bigger.

The FP 68HTA is a very nice turbo, although pricey. But you are still stuck with the TD05H turbine in a 7cm housing. Its going to choke at high boost.

Twin Scroll is the future and it has been for a while.(Evos have had TS since 97) What the Evo guys do with a TD05H turbine and Stock Twin Scroll housing is amazing. Near stock spool, and making over 500 AWHP is common place.

If someone like BEP, or similar, would make a cheap cast manifold that allowed you to bolt on a EvoX turbo or even Twin Scroll T3, it would blow away any bolt on turbo we have available to us now.

The FP 68HTA is a very nice turbo, although pricey.
I agree it is pricey, but it's on-par with other Sleeper 16G's / Bastard 20G's using a TD05H turbine.

The thing that confuses me is the HTA68 was introduced to DSM's last after the Evo and Subaru platforms already received affordable stock-platform HTA turbos, even though DSM turbos are what made FP popular many moons ago. I understand the market for Evo and Subies may be a little better, but what took so long? :hmm:

I have used the stock evo X center section on a dsm. i used a 7cm hotside and a 14b compressor cover bored out to fit wheel. Ceddy is right. the 15g from evo X is larger wheel than the tdo4-15g. Its actually very close to 16g. the inducer is slightly smaller than 16g. like .5 or 1mm smaller. cant remember which but it wasnt much. This was done according to FP to combat compressor surge. it killed 2lbs max airflow.

I have also used the twin scroll configuration on my evo 1 as well. I chopped the flange off X manifold and welded on DSM head flange. It has been working perfect. you can read about it here. its obviously alot of work to get twin scroll on car. In my case I wanted to use slightly larger turbo than 20g but didnt want to sacrifice response. the hta 73 in nirvana. I also still have the 20g/6L2 turbo itself for sale (you would have to make manifold and 02) if anyone wants to buy it.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/323777-1st-twin-scroll-20g-dsm-evo-10-turbo.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/360923-my-73hta-green-here.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back