The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

ECUflash EvoScan doesn't see OP2.0, ECUFlash reads rom just fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cox Abele

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
So I just made a guide for installing ECUFlash and Ceddy Mods. That thing works fine, but I'm having a bit of a hard time with EvoScan not communicating with my OP2.0 Cable. I am able to read my rom image via ECUFlash, so the cable isn't defective and the drivers seem to be installed properly. If I hit the "Start DataLogger" in EvoScan 2.6, I get an error message of "OpenPort 2 USB Cable Not Responding. Unplug your USB cable from the PC and replug this in and retry." Well, I've done that. I've tried all of the other USB ports. I've reinstalled the drivers manually. I've made sure I was using the MUTIII protocol. I just don't know what I'm missing. This is a fresh install in Windows 7. Do I need to drop drivers somewhere in an EvoScan folder?

Yup, tried that and received the same error message.

I can't remember off the top of my head but you do drop a file in evoscan. File should be in the ceddy files you downloaded. I think it's mutIII but its been a while.

I also use evoscan 2.7, which might also make a difference.

That's what I'm working on currently. I've uninstalled 2.6 and installing 2.7 into c:\EVOScan. I'll be loading the drop file in momentarily.

No Success :(

I was previously running 2.6 on my XP system. I've tried 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8 on my Windows 7 system. I've pulled the driver's from the install folder as advised by EvoScan:

EvoScan has another copy of op20pt32.dll in its own folder. As you know, current folder has the highest priority to search and execute a requested dll.

Solution:
1. Install EcuFlash1.43.3252, the new version of op20pt32.dll driver is installed into your windows system folder(likely windows/system32/).
2. Then remove the op20pt32.dll in the EvoScan c:\program files\ folder, this way EvoScan 2.7 will work with OpenPort2 again.

I have since been able to get 2.8 to work/log, however I am unsure of how to install the Ceddy's 2.7+ "Mitsubishi MUTII" file since the filing structure of 2.8 looks way different than 2.6. I can find the "DataSettings" folder for 2.6, where I'd drop "Data.xml" but I can't find the folder for 2.7 or above. Because of this, I can't control actuators which is kind of important for things like locking the IAC to set the BISS.

I'll continue to plug away at this. I've made some progress at least. Once I have it licked, I'll likely start another how-to thread with the process I used. Any additional input would be HUGE at this point.

I guess it is worth mentioning why I'd like to use the older versions. 2.9, which I've installed in the past, has some very different layouts and isn't as easy for me to use as a basic-entry-level tuner. 2.8 doesn't support some of the DTC readings that are in the older versions. IMHO, 2.6 is the best version, however I see little to no difference between 2.6 and 2.7 aside from the location of Ceddy's "Data" file for 2.6 and the "Mitsubishi MUTII" file for 2.7+. If I can get 2.7 operational, I'll likely be comfortable.

Alright! So, I've found the DataSettings folder for EvoScan2.7! Let me tell you, I really don't like how difficult Windows 7 is over XP. I'm one of those guys who'd rather store all of his MP3s in folders than allow a program like iTunes to keep track of them. XP lets me get right to the files I want to see. 7 splits the 2.7 download into two different locations and makes things difficult if your are old school like me and like to keep track of where your files are.

Anyhow, I'm typing this how-to as I install EvoScan 2.7 on a Windows 7 machine. While some of the steps may be similar to EvoScan 2.8+ or Windows 8, I can not promise that this how-to will exactly align.

Now that you've installed ECUFlash and seen that your OpenPort 2.0 Cable is working and you've read your rom image, you are ready to install your logging software, EvoScan. For a few reasons, you will want to install EvoScan v2.7 as it is the most compatible with our DSMs. DTCs and Actuators are hit or miss in the later versions as the EvoScan site indicates:

v2.7 and v2.8 has some better DTC support for some vehicles.. v2.8 and v2.7 and v2.9 can be installed at the same time.

This also assumes that you have paid for your EvoScan license, have your log-in credentials, have your 2.7+ serial number ready and so forth. If you haven't paid for the software and are trying to use it illegally, I can and will not help you. Support the vendor already!

Files to have on hand:

EvoScan 2.7:
Download v2.7.0090 FINAL: http://www.evoscan.com/downloads/EvoScanv2.7.0090.zip
Can be found here: http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-updates#content

Ceddy Mods "Mitsubishi MUTII" file: This file was zipped along with your ECUFlash files from Ceddy's site
Ceddy Mods v1.9c: http://ceddy.us/store/ceddymods-dsm-1v9c/
Can be found here: http://ceddy.us/store/

Step 1.) Make sure Windows 7 is up-to-date. .NET framework can come into effect later if it's not. Chances are this is a non-issue, but these instructions are fairly "tight." Log in as the system's admin account and unpack everything onto your desktop or into a folder on your desktop.

Step 2.) Double Click the "EvoScanv2.7" file, hit run (if necessary). The install wizard will start - Click next

Step 3.) You are now at a screen asking where you'd like to install the software. Per Ceddy's site:

Note – Windows 7 and Vista have a feature called UAC. It makes a duplicate copy of your program files.
This means when you try to install the EvoScan and EcuFlash .xmls, the changes won't take effect, instead the duplicate .xml will be used

To remedy this don't install EvoScan and EcuFlash to C:\Program Files\, instead install to another directory created by you.
For example install to, C:\ProgramsXP\

Elect to install EvoScan2.7 in it's own folder in the C:\ drive, much like you did with ECUFlash. My installs look like this "C:\ECU Flash\Ecu Flash\", "C:\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.7\". Whichever way you want to install it is fine, just remember that you'll need to gain access to these files again later on. For the sake of simplicity, we'll be using "C:\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.7\" as the install directory.

Windows 7 will ask you if you if you want to "install EvoScan 2.7 for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer" Select "Everyone" and hit next.

Step 4.) "The Installer is ready to install EvoScan v2.7 on your computer." "Click 'Next' to start the installation." - This should be a no brainer, click next. Windows may then ask if you want to "allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" Again, a no brainer- click yes. Wait for the program to install.

Step 5.) "Installation Complete" "EcoScan v2.7 has been successfully installed." Simply click "Close" at this point.

Note!) Do not open EvoScan yet! Now is where we get into the hard part of driver installation and the Ceddy Mods MUTII file.

Step 6.) Go to where you installed EvoScan in step 3. Start>Computer>C:\>EvoScan>EvoScan v2.7. Open the folder "USB Drivers" then "openport 2.0" You will see a file named "op20pt32.dll" This is the OpenPort 2.0 driver that needs deleted per EvoScan:

EvoScan has another copy of op20pt32.dll in its own folder. As you know, current folder has the highest priority to search and execute a requested dll.

Solution:
1. Install EcuFlash1.43.3252, the new version of op20pt32.dll driver is installed into your windows system folder(likely windows/system32/).
2. Then remove the op20pt32.dll in the EvoScan c:\program files\ folder, this way EvoScan 2.7 will work with OpenPort2 again.

Since you've installed ECUFlash, 1.43.3252 or greater, you have already installed the OpenPort2.0 drivers. Having duplicate drivers will cause EvoScan v2.7 to not detect your OP2.0 cable. Delete the driver from EvoScan: "Start>Computer>C:\>EvoScan>EvoScan v2.7\USB Drivers\openport 2.0\op20pt32.dll" and close the window. If you put it in the Recycling Bin, go so far as to empty the Recycling Bin.

Step 7.) Installing the Ceddy File - It is located in the file you downloaded "CeddyMods_DSM-1v9Cb\EvoScan_2.7+\Mitsubishi MUTII" Because Windows 7 will split where EvoScan 2.7 is installed, open C:\Windows\Users\*Your Account Name*\My Documents\EvoScan v2.7\Data Settings\" You'll see a file called "Mitsubishi MUTII" (~71kb) in there. Delete this version and replace it with Ceddy's "Mitsubishi MUTII" file (~8kb).

Step 8.) Close all open windows. Restart your computer. Open EvoScan2.7. At this point you may be prompted for your registration email and serial number. Enter it of course and continue until you get to the EvoScan 2.7 Interface. On the top left of the screen there are radio buttons for "OpenPort 1.3x" and "OpenPort 2.0" select the OpenPort 2.0 radio button. Just below it you will also see some check boxes for "OBDII 96+, Subaru, DSM/3000GTEcl. MUTovrOBDII" As much as you'd like to use "DSM/3000GT" don't. Select "Mitsubishi MUTIII." The data list will populate if it hasn't already.

Step 9.) Testing out EvoScan: Connect your OP2.0 Cable to your PC and the OBD-II port. You can have the flash connector hooked up now also, but it is not necessary. Turn the car's ignition to the on position- It doesn't need to be running. Click "Start DataLogger." Provided you have correctly installed EvoScan2.7, OP2.0 drivers, and Ceddy's Mitusbishi MUTII file properly, you should hear the sweet sound of "LINK ENGAGED." SUCCESS!!! Stop the data log and continue to test.

Step 10.) On the lower right of EvoScan 2.7, you'll see a button that says "Actuators" Click that and find in the list "Radiator Fan Low." Provided you aren't logging at this time, you'll hear "LINK ENGAGED" when you select it, and your cooling fan should turn on low. Click it again to de-activate.

EvoScan2.7 is now successfully installed with the Ceddy's corrected MUTIII protocol for the DSM H8 ECU. You are ready to start data logging and tuning. Don't forget to set your injector scaling.

Clearly I've figured it out. How to is written and posted in a separate thread. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back