The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Evolution Vs. Wrx Sti

Which is better??

• Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Votes: 40 71.4%
  • Subaru Wrx Sti

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfus65gs

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2004
Marion, North_Carolina
i remember watching an episode of car and driver where they tested the two cars. if i remember correctly, they had the same time on the quarter mile and the evo totally spanked the sti on a few things. I have sat in (unfortunately not driven) both cars and i have to say that the evo is much nicer. I want to know what u guys think because all of the guys that think they know a lot about cars say the sti regulates the evo.

Sorry if this topic has been done before...

since this IS a mitsu site, Evo will probly come out on top, but I like the STI's

they are damn near the same. Evo suspension and steering ratio tuned more for street driving, wrx for gravel and dirt. I've been hearing really bad things about the subaru tranny now. Apparently they're worse than mitsu has ever done and SOA denies as much warranty work on them as possible.

edit: voted for the evo, of course

My computer isn't working and won't let me vote, but I would vote the STi. I've been a big fan of the STi since I got into cars. I read in a magazine that tested a bunch of cars that the STi ran a little better time than the Evo, and I heard that the transmission for the WRX was a piece but the STi transmission was great. I read about the test they had between the two, and the Evo came out on top, but the STi was not far behind in anything it was overtaken in. I've looked at pics of the STi and I'm not a real fan of the interior, I'm not sure I've ever seen the Evo's interior.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of both automakers, however lets face it the current american evo vs the sti, the sti wins, but i voted evo because the fact that it's considered a contender (the only one) against a car with more hp and less streetability means alot. Look at WRC, evo's they run are equal to the sti. Mitsubishi has more rally victories i THINK.

Originally posted by Slappster
Have you never watched WRCOMG Mitsu gets owned bad and subie is usually at the top.

thats if you've recently started watching WRC, i meant overall. and i did say THINK.

Inferiorwang-- The regular wrx trannys are weak and POS's.. The STI tranny is strong as hell and can handle a lot of power..
Posting this on dsm tuners obviously your gonna hear more evo than STI.. If you go to nasioc.com which is the subaru forums you will probably see more STI than evo..
I own a wrx but personally i would choose the evo, the STI is faster stock but i just love the look of the evos amd evewrything else about it.. As for the STI i love that car too but if i had to make a choice it would prolly be and evo... --Peace, eric--:thumb:

Personally I dislike the looks of both cars only because I absolutely hate the four door thing. These engines are built for sport-cars but in a 4-door chasis, yuck. :barf:

Now, I thought I heard the EVO was running 19lbs boost to make 271 HP? While the STi is still running near 12-14? I would think the lancer is just about max'd out as far as additional power mods. I think the STI has much more room for higher HP mods. If I had to make a choice I'd get the sTI.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that the STi's displacement is 2.5 liters, while the Evo's is 2.0. I'd choose the Evo over the STi any day. It might not be as powerful as the STi, but straight line acceleration isn't everything. Besides, what's a few tenths quicker to 60 anyway? In terms of handling and steering feel, the Sti can't touch the Evo.:thumb:

id go with the sti. i see like 2-3 evos every day. ive seen 2 actual STi's in the past year. i like how subie limited the production of the STi as not to suffocate the market with them, so in about 5 years the resale value will be higher than evos, becasue of their limited production. nowadays, its like every high school punk kid making min wage at mcdonalds living at home has an evo. theres like 4 of them i see cruising every weekend, same little beaner kids(no offense) thinking they the greatest thing on the road. but i personally think the 4-door sports car is fawking retarded. jesus, i dont see ford putting a DOHC 4.6 Cobra engine in a taurus. why make 4 doors go fast? so the kids can let themselves in the car while daddy speeds away? its retarded to me, but its fast so it equals it out. i never want to own a 4door car, the only thing with 4 doors or more i want is a minivan or a suv or something, not a "family car".

Lan Evo all the way. And yes the Mitsu Evo has more championships than the WRX. The new Evos have kinda scked in comparison. But the Evo is the car of the year by many magazines. Also the Evo in handling spanks the STi and has a much larger after market. I believe the difference between both the cars in times alone was .01 second difference So it wasn't that much differences.

I know this because my friend and I have a friendly Subaru and Mitsu rivalry. So I have almost read all of those articles. And everyone says the Mitsu is more of the true race car so for all those who say the STi is, I don't know where you get this from. The only thing they have yet to like from the Evo is the comfort level is poor they say and the gas tank is too small.

The STi in america is crap, it goes against everything a STi is supposed to be. The 2.5 liter engine is an abomination to what its true intent was. The STi in america isn't even a real STi. Due to the fact that WRC regulations that all cars must be 2.0 liter engines. So in Japan it is still 2.0 liter and the 2.5 was designed to make the car more HP for the american market. In personal opinion I would rather get a WRX and then mod it to STi J-Spec since in my opinion the American STi has sold out it's roots.

Don't get me wrong I like the WRX actually my friend has one and its a damn nice car. But the "STi" is an abomination in my opinion

Originally posted by rowlex
Now, I thought I heard the EVO was running 19lbs boost to make 271 HP? While the STi is still running near 12-14? I would think the lancer is just about max'd out as far as additional power mods. I think the STI has much more room for higher HP mods. If I had to make a choice I'd get the sTI.

The STi runs 15psi stock.

STI vers.3 > Evo 3
STI verson 4,5,..even with Evo 5,6

the EVO 7 and 8 are having a hard time being liked by me..great car..but the EVO 6 looked so much better!!!!

the US 2,5 STIs seem nice..havent seen one here ..
the Euro/jdm STIs are available with stage 1 and 2 kits(the dealer gives a special waranty(like an "insurance") on these which u have to pay like 1500 for3 years..which is good ..ur covered when u break ur tranny)

but i would rather have either a STI version 3 or 4 (because they were available 2 door)..or the STI 22b widebody...rarest STI evar!or a EVO 6

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back