The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

EvoIII 16g setup concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox1486

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2004
Rochester, New_York
I see a few people on the forum have posted threads on the same issue, but I feel like my setup is more of in the middle of what they have asked. I am picking up an MHI EvoIII 16g with less than 1K miles on it. Here is my current setup:

99 2g FWD
Dejon UICP flanged with an HKS SSQV BOV
True K&N Filter and adapter
Dejon Intake
Shep Stage 1 rebuilt tranny
SAFC II (hooked up, but nothing messed with)

Off the car I have:
Walbro 255hp
EvoIII exhaust manifold

The plans I have for the car is the turbo setup, and later a DP, Possible hiflo cat, and cat-back exhaust. I DO NOT plan on going any bigger for the turbo at all. Some say get a AFPR for the 255 pump, others say go to a rewired 190 pump instead. I would like to start out just running stock boost, no mbc (which correct me if I'm wrong is a 10psi actuator that comes on the 16g). I'm not sure if I will still have to upgrade the injectors with this stock boost or not.

My main goal is to get the car up and running on the 16g for the beginning of spring. I'm not looking to run crazy boost or crazy numbers, just stock for the turbo. The car has about 125K miles on it, but has been well taken care of. Is it possible to run it on what I have???

Sure, it's possible to run if you keep it at low boost.

If you want more boost, you'll want to get injectors and logger with the SAFC.

I'm pretty sure the stock wastegate boost is higher than that, more like 15psi.

But I should be okay with a stock fuel pump, etc. for running stock boost on that turbo correct???

Should I sell the 255 and get 190 pump so I don't need to install a AFPR? Will the 190 support higher boost on the 16g? Safe boost on stock internals with new injectors, safc, logger?

Also I've read that this turbo gets bad boost creep. I don't know if mods create worse creep, or if this is just a byproduct of this turbo. Does anyone suggest porting the exhaust side out before I even put it on? Any good write-ups on that?

i would stick with a walbro 190 if you don't plan on running more then 20 psi on that turbo...i think you'll be safe up to 12 psi on stock inj and pump. creep is helped by a wastegate atmospheric dump.

You don't need a 255 with the 16G unless you are really pushing it's limits. I have run 25psi from my big 16G with a re-wired 190.

At the stock boost you will be fine with the stock pump. You only need to provide more fuel when you up the boost.

Porting the exhaust side to fight creep would be a good idea. Although your stock exhaust and cat will also help keep the creep down. If you go to a higher flowing system creep becomes more of a problem.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'll probably get rid of the 255 then for a walbro 190 or an evo stock pump (which i believe is 190) and do the rewire mod.

I'd like to stay away from an atmospheric dump due to it being just plain loud and annoying. Much rather port the thing out. I don't think it would hurt to port it even with the stock exhaust system on there now. Then next step will be to find a J-pipe setup, SS lines. LOL

port the exhaust housing and put on a 34mm flapper if there isn't one already, and you should be fine.

I'm running boost straight to the wastegate w/ my 16G GT and I hit 8psi right off the bat then it creeps to about 12psi. I have a 2.3 stroker w/ supra side mount, 2.5" IC piping, and a 3" exhaust (evo 3 exh mani).

The 16g actuator should be the same as the 14b one, so depending on your intake/exhaust mods you should see 10-12 psi with no boost controller.

The 34 mm flapper is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it provides more of an escape for exhaust gasses, which in theory help limit boost. On the other, it has a larger surface area, and may tend to "blow open" sooner, limiting your boost when you don't want it limited. Most people will pass on the 34mm flapper and simply port the stock turbine housing well enough to not need it.

I see.

Nah, I'll stick with the porting. I'm not looking for crazy outputs (right now) from this turbo, and I don't have the means to do it anyways. Especially when I'm sticking with a stock smic, fuel system, exhaust system for now.

It sounds like everything that should have been said, has been said. The only advice that I can give is just do things RIGHT and do things slowly. If you're not going to get that AFPR don't get the 255 (although you already said your going with the 190, which is good). Get yourself a good carbide burr and port the exhaust housing of the turbo. It's not so important on how MUCH you port but WHAT you port and WHERE. Just do your research and everything will go fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back