The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

EVOIII 16g dyno sheets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thats fine, I pulled that flow rate from were the boost est. and were my 3 bar meet which to my understanding is the most accuarate. I know my air flow is off in some other places but its not like i'm making this shit up for some glorified reason.

Ok just to add I polished the inside of the compressor housing and port matched the outlet to match the gasket. Do you think that would help it flow better?

A little bit...

Wow! I didn't look at the 70-90 times. Are you running blowthru? You've checked for boost leaks surely . . . Mid to upper 300s is very good for the evo3 16g.

All the 16Gs do about the same at around 20 psi. I've seen 36 lbs/min with my small 16g at 17-18 psi. And fp2x cams.

Yes i'm running a blow though setup.

Well I did another boost leak test and found that I cracked my weld on my lower pipe. I knew something was up. I just moved my sliders the other day and it was close. I cant win.... so I took it off and started to re- weld it and ran out of shielding gas. It will have to wait till tomarrow.

I don't have any good 70-90 logs, as all of the logs I usually shift around 85mph:coy: I need to do a few pulls and let it rev higher to get a good estimation on time.

As Matt has mentioned, even if you are actually flowing 40 lb/min, your tune needs some work, unless you made that log going up a hill? Even at 40 lb/min your 70-90 time is slow, if that was taken on level ground I would expect your actual airflow is in the mid to upper 30's range.

would my 70-90 times be effected because I run 19" rims and 245 tires? More rotating mass? Or at that speed it does'nt matter.

Just for everyone to know, when running a evoIII to lets say 30PSI your going to get some added power from the boost spike but its going to settle back down..

So yes its not going to hold, but you will still get a gain from it

Most of the very fast 14B cars do this for max effort setups

Just for everyone to know, when running a evoIII to lets say 30PSI your going to get some added power from the boost spike but its going to settle back down..

So yes its not going to hold, but you will still get a gain from it

Most of the very fast 14B cars do this for max effort setups

Understandable, makes sense, and what you're really saying has worked for me, too. But it's not boost spike, if your boost rises to 30 psi and bleeds down because your engine demands more than what your compressor can flow or because your turbine can't convert exhaust gas energy to turbo rpms fast enough. Both cases apply for an evo3 16g at 30 psi. . . The gains are there at the track. There is more area under the power curve. This is usually good for track times. But there is no more peak horsepower achieved.

would my 70-90 times be effected because I run 19" rims and 245 tires? More rotating mass? Or at that speed it does'nt matter.

Yes, rotational mass can always be a factor but obviously when you get into larger power levels its going to have less of an effect (ie a guy running 50lb 19's on his 100hp civic is going to notice a much greater power loss vs the guy running a 500hp eclipse). Looks like your tune needs some work but your probably not all that far off the "norm" if you assum that your not actually flowing 44lb/min. Your 70-90 would probably be more like a car flowing around 35 lb/min. If you work on that tune abit you can most defently get that lower. pboglio's time of 2.18 70-90 is defently on the quick side for a turbo of that size (or 16g comparable). Not sure if he was running pump or? & what boost level?

I run 50 lb steel rims/snow tires. I haven't run the "lighter" stock rims in +2 years, that includes summer driving too. When I switched back and forth previously the difference in 1st and 2nd gears was very noticeable. With the lighter rims I can't shift fast enough in 1st gear before I overshoot the redline, 2nd gear also goes by really quickly. With the heavier wheels I'm sort of "waiting" for the engine to hit redline. Feels like the engine is revving thru syrup with the heavier wheels. Never noticed a big difference in 3rd gear though.

Correction:

70-90 mph ~ 2.13s

Pump gas/xylene/octane booster, 23-24 psi dropping to 20 psi at redline.

I just got a clean 3rd gear log today. Car is in "winter mode"... shit tires, 18-17psi, HKS 2 3/8th" catback...

70-90 time - 2.22. Not too bad. Had ZERO knock with very conservative timing and fuel. running a little rich. MAF-T is off by about 1.5psi at 5500rpms, so the 33lb/min I was "flowing" isn't accurate.

I'd be interested to see more 60-80 and 70-90 times from the faster 16g guys on this site.

Well after fixing my pipe I did another run, corrected my airflow sliders and.... still flowing 44lbs. I know its not making 440hp in fact link says i'm peaking at 340 which I know is not relyable also. Also my 70-90 time was 2.6. I have uncontrolable boost spiking and can only run this high with W/I.

Attachments

• run 2.dat
    32.6 KB · Views: 97
Your peak boostest is still showing 26 psi but your gm 3 bar is showing 23 psi. Your maf hertz readings are oscillating very bad at peak airflows. This is leading to random high lb/min airflows; like 40 lbs/min to 45 lbs/min then back down to 40 lbs/min. . . all within 100 rpms (6500-6600). The graph is not smooth. Your GM in blowthrough is doing what mine did at high airflows. Randomly spiking and/or dropping hz counts. Drawthru is much more accurate. You'd have to recalibrate if you switch to drawthrough.

BTW, your injector duty cycle is over 100% and your stft is showing 10% rich. Your fuel trims havn't been tuned yet :p .

Its possible to get 300 whp on a EvoIII turbo. I dyno at 278.7 a couple of month ago. My mods are in my profile if you guys were wondering. At the time of the dyno, i had it tuned but they only did minimal tuning. Recently i have ported my turbo, manifold, and o2 housings and i am plaining on doing more stuff to the engine so 300 is acheivable on a Evo3 turbo.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You should be getting 300whp and a bit better, no reason for less unless your setup isnt complete or who ever is tunning it is half retareded:thumb:

Understandable, makes sense, and what you're really saying has worked for me, too. But it's not boost spike, if your boost rises to 30 psi and bleeds down because your engine demands more than what your compressor can flow or because your turbine can't convert exhaust gas energy to turbo rpms fast enough. Both cases apply for an evo3 16g at 30 psi. . . The gains are there at the track. There is more area under the power curve. This is usually good for track times. But there is no more peak horsepower achieved.

You explained it better than I did, some times I have a little trouble getting things onto paper but thats exactly what I meant to type in my head....Totally agree

Since my palm has been broken for awhile; I just ordered the key span usb to serial adaptor that I need to do logs off laptop, then Ill be able to get some logs up and i want to compare with you guys on my lb/min air flow and my 70-90 times. Im iffy on my dyno numbers ( 271awhp, 304lbs/ ft ) i feel like the dyno i was on reads a bit lower because im pretty sure my 70-90 times are right with you guys.... But then again idk my car is abnormally lighter than most daily driven street awd dsms.

You explained it better than I did, some times I have a little trouble getting things onto paper but thats exactly what I meant to type in my head....Totally agree

No problem. So many people display such naiveté when logging onto this forum. I know you know what you're saying :thumb: . Just keeping up the verbage.

Ok first log ive seen in awhile. Done with mmcd program on laptop w/ keyspan usb to serial adaptor-

But, intake temp 67 degrees during several pulls, 78ish degrees idle, with 58 degs ambient outside
( I have cold air intake ! )
coolant- 196 degs during the pull
Injector duty cycle- 58.5 % ( 850s )

Anywho, I got some bc272s waiting to go in, and a FP race mani on the way, expecting another 3-4lbs min between the two and with a retune i should be well over 300awhp.

Cold weather is nice for airflow:thumb: I pulled 40.7 lb/min the other night with my little T28 on a stock 2g MAF & 2g ported exhaust manifold. I took my VPC off so I could finally datalog airflow.

I'm planning on Swain coating my FP race exhaust manifold and slapping it in to see if I can pick up any torque in the 6000-7000 rpm band. I'm shooting for 41-42 lb/min.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back