The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO8 Pistons and tuning to deal with compression ratio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTEC KILLR

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2005
Portsmouth, Ohio
I am rebuilding my 6bolt engine and got a set of Evo 8 pistons off a member on here. I have been doing alot of research and I am worried about using them due to my current setup. In my current setup I use a Keydiver stage 3, AEM wideband, logger, and SAFC to fine tune with. If bump up my compression to 8.8 I know I will have to adjust my timing to compensate. Can I adjust enough with the Cam Angle Sensor? I would love to buy DSMlink, but the budget just isn't there. I am leaning to just NPR or topline 1g pistons. My goal is around 350-400Hp. I am adding Cams and a Snow meth injection kit during my rebuild. I AM ALSO REMOVING THE BALACE SHAFTS>BEING AS THAT IS WHAT DESTROYED MY ENGINE IN THE FIRST PLACE:ohdamn:...Any advice on using the Evo pistons and/or my rebuild would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well the 1g timing map is very agressive but if you tune for knock with fuel them you will be ok.. I would say the meth with help out a ton supressing that knock.. It really won't be that bad.. The evo 8 pistons is becoming very popular and I havent any tuning problems yet. Tune for a slightly richer A/F right around the peak timing area and you should be ok...

You can compensate through base timing, but that will move your entire timing curve down a notch. :boring:

I'd just put them in, set the base timing at stock, and see where you're at after the engine is broken in and you've done a few pulls. All you're trying to do is prevent detonation, and often you can combat knock by keeping your current timing settings and adding more fuel or simply upping the octane.

....or you can spray meth. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back