The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo8 ECU works in a 1g!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wondered when someone would actually do that. People were running 2G ECUs in their 1Gs pretty regularly back before we released the 1G version of our stuff. So, yeah, it's certainly possible. It's all the same signals and such. Just a good bit of wire swapping required.

I'm probably the only weirdo that actually runs a 1G ECU in my EVO8. :)

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

I wondered when someone would actually do that. People were running 2G ECUs in their 1Gs pretty regularly back before we released the 1G version of our stuff. So, yeah, it's certainly possible. It's all the same signals and such. Just a good bit of wire swapping required.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

ROFL, do you really? :confused:

Probably:D
But people tend to use what they know, and you obviously know the 1g ecu with dsmlink better than anybody else:p

But people tend to use what they know, and you obviously know the 1g ecu with dsmlink better than anybody else:p
It's more a testing setup than anything else. 1G, 2G, EVO1-3...whichever needs testing in a DD. But, honestly, the car doesn't run any differently either way, other than fan control. :) So I'm sure going the other way around works just as well.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

Well that's really good news... now people can use a native flashable ecu that's made BY mitsubishi on their 1g. This is absolutely great. No more 3rd party compensation tables for the win.

Now it's a race to see who's going to make adapter harnesses for it first without price gouging on them.

Well that's really good news... now people can use a native flashable ecu that's made BY mitsubishi on their 1g. This is absolutely great. No more 3rd party compensation tables for the win.

Now it's a race to see who's going to make adapter harnesses for it first without price gouging on them.

It would be a pretty nice swap, if they had an adapter harness for cheap:D
Timing and fuel tables past 10krpm, boost duty tables, stutter, etc

It would be a pretty nice swap, if they had an adapter harness for cheap:D
Timing and fuel tables past 10krpm, boost duty tables, stutter, etc

I actually have a friend building me one right now. He is well known in the evo community up in my parts. His tuning skills blow me away. I know there are other awesome guys out there that can tune a car, but Justin is the only one that will touch or tune anything of mine. He ran dsmlink with a 95 ecu in his evo before they came out with all reflashing stuff. Im sure he would be willing to make more. His name is Justdsm on evolutionm. Let me know if you are interested and i will see what i can find out.
-wes

How much are these guys typically paying for these used ecus?
I'm sure the demand for them from us dsm guys will be driving the value up soon

I paid $100 for mine, but I've seen anywhere from $50-$200. The learning curve is fairly high but once you're on top of it everything comes pretty easily and it forces you to have at least some understanding of what you are actually doing with each mod which is kind of bittersweet.

Don't you guys thing the well is gonna dry up soon with these ecus and they may become pretty rare used for sale. I mean these guys that are selling them have to be switching to AEM or something else. Many evo guys I would think would keep these because its easily reflashable and hard to outgrow its capabilities.

The evo8 ecu has only come into its own recently as a powerful tuning tool so there are still a lot of cars that have moved on to other tuning systems and there are cars that are being crashed every day which I assume is a bigger supplier of ecus than people who switch.

How long will it last though? I don't know, it was a question we explored a little bit early on in the 2g discussion but I think it became a moot point over time because really there aren't that many DSMs that have jumped into this despite the capabilities of such a budget piece. I would expect that based on the complexity that I've seen in getting an evo ecu into a 1g that you guys are going to be even less embracing. Even after that it really wont be a big deal because there are a lot of 98/99 H8 based ecus running around that can be flashed to do all of the basics already and will be able to do much more in the near future. I have no doubt that a 2g ecu is no harder than an evo ecu to put in a 1g and there are still a number of worldwide markets where we can find a multitude of very similar flashable ecus. All that is necessary is for someone to do the legwork to put the information for swapping together.

2001-2005 Eclipse RS/GS Manual ECU's work. I had an EVO8 ECU in my 3G Eclipse. Its the standard for tuning a boosted 3G.

Just wondering if anyone doing this swap has came across an issue with running a COP setup. Im running low boost, and as soon as i get into anything over like 5psi it breaks up real bad and goes pig rich. As well as the car is running im starting to doubt its a tuning issue up top. I had zero ignition issues with my eprom maftpro 30psi and meth injection setup. Running low boost pump gas only shouldnt be an issue. Unless the two just arent happy playing togther. Waiting to get a stock coil setup to swap in and see if things clear up.

Just thought id update the little issue i was having with P0125 and P0622. I had the rear 02 disabled in the peripheries FAA. Once I enabled that, I have been CEL free for 3 days now. Not sure if they are related some how, but neither has popped up since.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back