The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo3 big 16g question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey you guys...I just jetted through this thread and wanted to comment on the HP. Off the top of my mind it serves me correctly that the EVO 16 is capable of 400+ little more as SBR done so on one of there cars when they were making dyno runs on several different types of turbos. BUT this does also fall back on a moderate built motor. Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Point is you may see little more on the EVO but have to spend the extra money and time in building your motor up.

Point taken, but i will say this. The evo16g is not the turbo you want if you are wanting 400whp+ sure it might be able to do it but i think thats at the very high end of its reaches, and take more work to get there. SBR has a stroker motor with the evo as well.

Point that i think alot of people are trying to make including myself, is that you dont need alot of hp to run into the 11's. mid 300s and some good driving will be very close, so the evo 16g falls perfectly into that catagory.

Point taken, but i will say this. The evo16g is not the turbo you want if you are wanting 400whp+ sure it might be able to do it but i think thats at the very high end of its reaches, and take more work to get there. SBR has a stroker motor with the evo as well.

Point that i think alot of people are trying to make including myself, is that you dont need alot of hp to run into the 11's. mid 300s and some good driving will be very close, so the evo 16g falls perfectly into that catagory.

Yes indeed getting into 11's is acceptable for the EVO 16g. I myself ran a 12.1@109 with a base tune and race gas and stock suspension, with a better suspension setup I could have hit 11's but low 11's as one of his suggested goals may exceed the EVO 16g capability.

I was not aware of SBR having a stoker with the EVO, I bet thats interesting to drive...

TC

Everytime someone even mentions EVO16g it starts the mother of all batle royal's. To the original poster: you better start shoping Ebay for a 20g because if all you want to spend is $600 then you just better stick with your 14b. Your gonna need to update everything else just to see th potential of the 16g anyway.

The evo-3 is an awesome turbo, that most people will come back to at some point. Most screwballs dont bother to tune with the turbo to find out what it can do. The other half have never had one to begin with and are still on the worn out t-25 or 14-b and are just trolling and spewing hearsay. I just installed a new 50 trim on a buddys 2g gsx and I'm just not at all impressed with it, I find it to be boring and the quality does'nt seem near as good on that turbo as the evo-3. I made the right decision with the evo3, I know that. Also when slowboy made 400+ hp on the evo-3 it was not with a stroker motor at all, it was a stock stroke 2.0 with .020 wiseco pistons and eagle rods. As stated earlier, anytime evo-3 is brought up the flame wars start by some fool that has zero experience with the evo-3 and has never even picked one up or rode in a car with one.

thanks guys i like the evo3 turbo as well im just making sure its going to be able to make the power i want and it seems like it will so im ###### going to go with that thanks

600 isnt enough? i see them for for new for about 550$ im fine with that i wouldnt buy an ebay one because they are junk what do you upgrade everything 3 inch exhaust front mount fuel pump injectors regulator and somthing to tune but even with just the 3 inch exhaust i have i should notice a big diff and for some reason i dont have a 14b its a 13b :(

The evo-3 is an awesome turbo, that most people will come back to at some point. Most screwballs dont bother to tune with the turbo to find out what it can do. The other half have never had one to begin with and are still on the worn out t-25 or 14-b and are just trolling and spewing hearsay. I just installed a new 50 trim on a buddys 2g gsx and I'm just not at all impressed with it, I find it to be boring and the quality does'nt seem near as good on that turbo as the evo-3. I made the right decision with the evo3, I know that. Also when slowboy made 400+ hp on the evo-3 it was not with a stroker motor at all, it was a stock stroke 2.0 with .020 wiseco pistons and eagle rods. As stated earlier, anytime evo-3 is brought up the flame wars start by some fool that has zero experience with the evo-3 and has never even picked one up or rode in a car with one.

I agree with the 50trim comment.
I have never been in a 50trim car that impressed me at all. I have seen some make more peak hp then I did on the 16g. But the overall dyno graphs never looked as good as the 16g`s do. Just llok at the times people run with 16g vs 50trims and it tells the whole story. The 16g is impossible to beat for the money. If you dont have to be the fastest out there and are just looking for a really fun turbo that will beat most of whats out there. 16g is the only way to go.

I agree with the 50trim comment.
I have never been in a 50trim car that impressed me at all. I have seen some make more peak hp then I did on the 16g. But the overall dyno graphs never looked as good as the 16g`s do. Just llok at the times people run with 16g vs 50trims and it tells the whole story. The 16g is impossible to beat for the money. If you dont have to be the fastest out there and are just looking for a really fun turbo that will beat most of whats out there. 16g is the only way to go.

Yeah, I dont know. Like I really expected some type of big hit that just never happened. All you ever hear is 50 trim this and 50 trim that, so I figured that I would keep an open mind to it, and at one time before I did the research and bought the evo3, I was in the market for the 50 trim (they were on sale for less than the evo3). So I installed it, and we took it out and it makes more "turbo sounds" than the evo3, which I admit I liked, but it just did'nt do anything special, as in it did'nt feel any more powerful than what I have. When you look at the numbers they flow not much more than an evo3, so that explains why I guess. I also like having the wet center section, and like I said just the overall quality when you look at the two in your hands, just my personal experience though.:dsm:

Im sure im going to get flamed for this but im gonna say it anyways.

the 20g has gotten many dsm'ers deep into the 11's and shep into the 9's and it only flows 50 cfm less then a standard 50 trim...

my decision might be a little in the favor of the 20g because i own one but it hits harder then any evo 16g i have driven in...

Im sure im going to get flamed for this but im gonna say it anyways.

the 20g has gotten many dsm'ers deep into the 11's and shep into the 9's and it only flows 50 cfm less then a standard 50 trim...

my decision might be a little in the favor of the 20g because i own one but it hits harder then any evo 16g i have driven in...

Of coarse the 20g hits harder than a 16g. The 20g is a great turbo. Makes awesome power with great spoolup and is very reliable. It is a slight step up from the 16g. But it will cost you quite a bit more than a 16g. Not only is it several hundred more just for the turbo. But it generaly requires the use of a external gate. Thats why I say the 16g is the best bang or the buck. There are several 11sec 16gs also.
All for $550 and nothing else to buy other than maybe a jpipe depending on intercooler.

Of coarse the 20g hits harder than a 16g. The 20g is a great turbo. Makes awesome power with great spoolup and is very reliable. It is a slight step up from the 16g. But it will cost you quite a bit more than a 16g. Not only is it several hundred more just for the turbo. But it generaly requires the use of a external gate. Thats why I say the 16g is the best bang or the buck. There are several 11sec 16gs also.
All for $550 and nothing else to buy other than maybe a jpipe depending on intercooler.

well am i wrong for condisering my 20g in the same catigory as a 50 trim? also i agree with you completly that the evo 16g is the best BANG-4-DA-BUCK turbo. i would probably be running one if my buddy didnt hook me up with my 2g manifold, tial wastegate, and 20g for 500 bucks.

also i have only been in 1 50 trim car and i was very impressed with it. he had some sort of pte 50 trim and that thing didnt mind boiling the tires into 4th at 20psi (all this of course before it crankwalked hehe)....

Yeah, the 20g is as close to a 50trim as a mitsu turbo would get I suppose. The evo3 really has no major "hit" to speak of, which is kinda nice with fwd cars.

Yeah, the 20g is as close to a 50trim as a mitsu turbo would get I suppose. The evo3 really has no major "hit" to speak of, which is kinda nice with fwd cars.

just curious on why you would think a evo 3 would be great on a fwd??? i would think that the fast spool would suck as far as traction is concerned.

I don't know what the fuss is about. If the guy wants to spend around $600 for a turbo & wastegate and be in the mid 12's and eventually with experience 'maybe' in the low 12's, possabily high 11's. There is no other option then an Evo316g unless he goes used, or Ebay.

It takes nothing but simple supporting mods and a crappy tune to be in the mid 12's with a full weight 2g.. For god sakes I did my time on stock 7bolt/tranny/clutch/suspension/wheels/tires.. End of story... best $499 turbo = Evo316g. Spend the extra 100 on an install kit....

I have a Evo 3 16g with lots of bolt on's and pretty much no tuneing @ 20psi on 93octane and it feels pretty darn strong, good smoooth WIDE power band which IMO unless your really on a race track is much better. And faster on the street.

As soon as I get water injection, 264 cams, and 3" turbo back I expect to make at LEAST 360whp on my worn out engine. I would expect more but the compression goes something like 141, 138,122,134 So I dont expect anything mind blowing. But IMO with a little well thought out weight reduction and doing so to help balance the cars front to rear weight. I will have an extreamly potent and capible street car. with everything but A/C... And I never used that when I had it.

In short e3's can make 11's, quick ass spool up, very affordable, bolts on, and has a good useable powerband. I highly recomend it for a street car. However if your GOAL is 400-450whp you should weight, save save and save some mroe and go with a 20g imo.

just curious on why you would think a evo 3 would be great on a fwd??? i would think that the fast spool would suck as far as traction is concerned.

Because like I said, it has no "hit". It delivers very smooth linear power throughout its range that does'nt lend itself to traction issues as much as some other turbos.:dsm:

I am looking into purchasing a 50trim in the next month. So alot of you are saying pretty much that I should not purchase a 50trim b/c its so much like the EVO16g...correct.

A 50 trim has a little more, but at the expense of longer spoolup time, which to me on the street makes for a frustrating car. If you plan to spend alot of time at the track then maybe go for a 50 trim then. The difference in power is really not that great for the other negatives to me, when I go bigger I will go BIG!

what turbo would you recommend on a fwd looking to make roughly between 350-400 Whp
that is better on traction... I know the 16 would cause traction problems, and like i thought about a evo3 and also about a 18g i could by from a friend. And ive even thought about a 50 or 54 trim. Indecisive/

another turbo for a good price (althought its more then 600$) is the scm6152 its a 60 trim and has alittle slower spool but for 749$ with an internal wastegate and bolt one capable of 680whp its a hell of a bang for the buck link: http://dsm.dejonpowerhouse.com/

or your other alternative, which a few people have done and liked alot, i cant recall exactly who does it but i will post here tommorrow, but you can send your 14b chra to them and thjey will install a 20g wheel and compressor housing and it will be pretty much a 20g but with a little smaller turbine housing which on the 14b's i think its a 6cm housing? but a friend of mine did this with 550$ he sent him the turbo and they put a new wheel , cover, and balanced it for him all for that price. mind you he ran a fabbed up internal wastegate for a while but switched to an external and was very happy about it, but with a 2g manifold you could buy an ebay ext wastegate and have the flanged welded onto your manifold for minimal costs, and i think you can buy a cheap tial wastegate for like 60 bucks. thats a cheaper alternative if you dont mind a little custom fabrication.

hahnracecraft sells the wheel and cover also

H RP-1035 TD06-20G Compressor Wheel 177.99
H RP-1015 TD06 20G Compressor Housing 199.99

link : http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/turbo repair parts.htm

but you will then have to get it balanced which could be pretty costly if you had to ship it someplace.

I know the evo 3 has kinda been decided against, but on a side not my evo 3 ported and clipped didnt really give me any more traction issues than a 57 trim. No matter what turbo you get you are going to spin its just what we get for being fwd.
I also did alot of research on the v trim below its a pretty good buy.

As compression mentioned about sending off your 14b, you send your 14b turbo minus the turbine housing, it must be a good core, good turbine wheel,no bent shaft etc, they rebuild it with all new seals bearings etc... put a new 20g compressor wheel and 20g compressor housing balanced and ready to go for $550, say you have a 16g already with a 7cm housing and youve got a 14b lying around(needs rebuid good workable core etc..) when you get your 20g back put your 7cm housing on it, and put the 6cm housing on your 16g and sell it. just a thought

they can also upgrade your 14b to a 16g for $400 which isnt bad if your 14b is tired and worn out, then you can have a 16g for much less than purchasing it new for a higher price.

heres the link
http://www.micturbo.com/price.htm

I am looking into purchasing a 50trim in the next month. So alot of you are saying pretty much that I should not purchase a 50trim b/c its so much like the EVO16g...correct.

I am going to agree with Bishlivr here. I have a friend that had a GVR4 and went from a big 16g to a bullseye bolt on 50 trim, we were not that impressed. Pump gas to pump gas there was very little difference, We were able to run more boost on race gas but I think that there are better options. Another friend has a red and that car was much more impressive, I know that it costs more however it was worth it. On your mod list you said you wanted better cams, I would decide what your goals are and go from there. Cams,SMIM, Bigger Turbo
If it were me I would either get a red or a GT35R, or just stay with the e316g.
By the way a e316g and a wet75 shot is a lot of fun.

I am going to agree with Bishlivr here. I have a friend that had a GVR4 and went from a big 16g to a bullseye bolt on 50 trim, we were not that impressed. Pump gas to pump gas there was very little difference, We were able to run more boost on race gas but I think that there are better options. Another friend has a red and that car was much more impressive, I know that it costs more however it was worth it. On your mod list you said you wanted better cams, I would decide what your goals are and go from there. Cams,SMIM, Bigger Turbo
If it were me I would either get a red or a GT35R, or just stay with the e316g.
By the way a e316g and a wet75 shot is a lot of fun.

what was the tuning aparatus on that car, for both set-ups? i'd say that the difference was not necessarily the turbos, but maybe the tune and possibly lack of correct supporting mods (fp1s, instead of fp2s). i think this guy should stay with an evo3 16g and run spray if needed...

as far as not being impressed with the 50 trim, i will always lean towards not having the right combination of parts/tuning; unless, they just have a bad egg for a turbo (rare, but happens)... a guy locally had made 397whp on a mustang dyno on 92 octane with a garrett 50trim set-up. there are other guys who have made over 400whp pump gas on dynojets with fpgreens, more than a race-gased prepped evo3 16g. it's nothing to take away from the evo3 16g, but to say that you weren't impressed when swapping over to a 50trim is bs; unless it's for one of the reasons i had stated. the majority of people on this board just have better supporting mods for an evo3 16g, then any other turbo out there.

Shawn

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back