The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo3 16g with down firing housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtodsm97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2011
Lewisville, Texas
does anyone ever replaced a evo3 16g housing from kinugawa down firing housing? They claim that it will fit, but need to know of anyone ever tried it. Any fabrication need to do with the internal wastegate?

Last edited:
I have one of their 3in inlet compressor covers on my td06sl2 20g and i had to dent my water pipe. I'm also running an external off the o2.

Mmmhmmm.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Absolutely zero chance of the stock actuator working with this cover in any way. If you're buying the downfiring cover as a way to improve performance, move on....the money you'd spend on a housing and new actuator would negate any small gain in performance it may give. In reality, a surge-ported cover may actually hurt peak airflow a bit.

Good to know Justin, and thanks for that info. Reason I'm asking is that I'm currently on a process of rebuilding my evo3 and I wanted a down firing turbo and also my evo3 16g housing thread for the j pipe is stripped but can easily fix. Also I can run external wastegate if internal is an issue.

Common problem....just heli-coil the stripped j-pipe hole and it will be as good as a new one.

I'd say for simplicity if you want to stay with an internal gate, run the stock j-pipe cover. If you're considering going external, go for the downfiring cover...but I wouldn't choose one with the surge-porting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back