The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Evo X - 1G Hybrid Axles for Evo X Hubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architechnik

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2007
Glad, Oregon
There were a couple threads on putting Evo X hubs on a 1g, but I couldn't find a lot of info on doing so. I picked up a couple hubs and now I'm looking for all the things that need to be solved.

First the reasons: update suspension with hubs using different geometry, bolt-in bearings, more options for ball joints, completely ready for big Brembo brakes...

The question is how do we make it interface with a 1g?! We have four points: strut, ball joint, axle, and tie rod. This post is about the axles.

Axles
The Evo X axle shaft is much larger, so the first challenge is finding a way to make the two work together. The Evo axle is also longer, but since I've been looking to push the wheel base out, the Evo axle is about 1.5" longer than the DSM and that might be a good thing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So the question is: Do I try replacing the tripod end or the ball bearing end? Popping open the tripod ends, the Evo X tripod is much wider than the 1g, even thought the diameter of the casing is about the same. The center posts for each were similar, but it was not possible to tell how deep the end was with the roller bearings, so I decided to start dissecting the two.

Evo Left, DSM Right

Evo Left, DSM Right

The needle bearings are .35mm different with the 1g larger, but these things are hard to measure with a cheap caliper. From what I see on these readings and running the numbers, the Evo seems to have a lot of slop, but that might be because it's taken up with the larger total outer surface.

1g needle bearings have a 1.92mm diameter and the evo x at 1.57mm. I'll double check the count, placement, and sizing tomorrow.

As it stands, it looks like if I use the Evo axle with the evo spider gear center, the DSM outer race/bearing surface, and source some 1.30mm roller bearing needles, I might be able to do this.
Does anyone know where I can order something like this? I've started trolling the interwebs and I may give SKF, SNK, or some other manufacturer/wholesale a call and see what they have for raw materials.

Otherwise, I will be disassembling the other end and see what lies in store for the ball bearing end. I don't have particularly high hopes for that end and it may come down to custom axles or machine work.

Edit on the last post. Looks like I had a calibration error on the calipers. The needle roller bearings on both setups have a 2mm diameter. They are different lengths, though.

I have looked into it and having some custom made is way out of my price range. 1-off items like that would quickly get into the thousands for just the hub/spindle; using existing products with slight modifications would keep the entire build way cheaper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back