The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

EVO Swap possible? European 4g63 non-turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuhaMatti

Probationary Member
Dec 24, 2013
Helsinki, Europe
Hello people and merry Christmas! I hope you will enjoy yourselves during your holiday. This is my first official post at DSMTuners and I'm already asking for your help in a complicated issue! (btw, yes. I tried to use the search engine but did not find all the information I need! So bare with me :) )

Short description of the matter:
I have an European 2G 96 Eclipse that decided to die suddenly. The technicians said at the repair station that some ball bearing had suddenly broken and gone through the motor resulting in some loud noises and total destruction of the engine. I certainly do not know precisely what went wrong and I am not the expert here, but the engine is useless and they suggest that the easiest thing to do is to replace the motor.

This is where it becomes interesting:
They also said that the motor is something called 4G63 N/T which is the same engine that is in Lancer Evolutions and in almost all non-turbo Eclipses that were manufactured for the European markets. So it is not the Chrysler 420A which is the standard in non-turbo Eclipses in the USA (?).

They said that it would be much much easier to find a EVO 4G63 Turbo motor here in Finland. However, they are not exactly sure if it fits my car without further modifications and adjustments. Moreover, is there some other parts that should be replaced?

The question:
If my Eclipse originally came with a 4G63 N/T motor does the 4G63 EVO engine fit in the engine bay without extra welding and gray hair?

Thanks fellas!

should fit, the engine is pretty much the same but the turbo is oriented differently so it wouldnt be that easy. you'd probably have to redo everything, exhuast, ecu, wiring harness.. it would be a lot of work. the 7-bolt dsm is known to have crank walk which can cause problems, so many 2g people swap in a 6-bolt from a early 1g which doesnt have this problem.

You only may take engines out of evo 1-3, everything else will cause a lot of grey hair.
I don`t know about the engine mounts, but evo 1-3 got the same engine.
Later evos got the transmission on drivers side!
I'd rebuild your engine:thumbup:

Yes if you can find an evo 3 turbo engine then get it. Its actually more powerful.then our Turbo engines, only issue is lack of some sensors and different connections in the harness but overall not a bad swap.

I Did It "2 Years ago it fitted no problem engine mounts just swap off old engine.

I got a ecu for a GST from the US and a GST engine wiring harness from a scrap yard in the US also. Get a second hand intake manifold off ebay and its just some soldering.

Your gearbox will be fine i have run my one for the past two years with no problems just upgrade the clutch.

Any problems PM me.

Your alive, thought you was gone. Been trying to get ahold of you ^

Still alive just rebuild the engine with forged internals. Redoing the fuel system then fitting 1000cc injectors when they get here.

Cool, pm me your contact details, im trying to organise an eclipse meet next year so would be good for you to join in

Before I would have them swapping motors and such, I'd want to personally see what kind of damages there are first. The fact they said a ball bearing destroyed your motor is enough for me to warrant suspicion.

^ exactly, ball baring? from what, the turbo?? the crank galleys? and i believe based on my personal experience . that you should tear apart your engine and rebuild it right. A donor motor may have damage too, and you wont know it. and as for as the "crankwalk" issue its uncommon and really only documented in the 2g(A) which is 96-97 models of the 4g63 .., good look.

Since he says it's an N/T there is no turbo to spit ball bearings out and even if there was an aftermarket ball bearing turbo, it would probably be too big to be sucked through the oil pickup screen. The whole situation smells fishy and the vagueness of it and the OPs obvious lack of knowledge could be used against him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back