The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo III tranny question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmcstroks

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2004
crete, Illinois
Ok so i know I have an Evo III tranny (w5m33-mmzl), and one way to make it match up properly with my rear end was to put the US crownwheel and pinion in. I have the tranny and I have the crownwheel pinion, my question is Will the tranny bolt up? I know late Evo's used 7 bolt motors so I just figured everything would bolt up and work properly after the crownwheel and pinion were switched out. Thx.

the evo III transmission is 2g AWD . if you want to use it on 2g AWD you can use it . it has 2 places for motor mounts on it similar to 2g awd .:thumb:

Hope I am not hijacking your thread, first to answer your question. Te Tranny should bolt up just fine. The Evo III motor is a 7 bolt and the stock 2nd gen trans bolts up fine to it. I am sure it will be the other way around as well.

I am curious on the gear ratio's. Everyone says to use the USDM final drive.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html

That website says that our rear end gear ratio is the same as the Evo's???

If that is true, you should be able to swap over the transfer case and transmission without changing anything??

I have a transmission in the mail right now and am not sure yet if it came from an evo 3 or not.

I am just wondering, if our rear end gear ratio is the same as an Evo III, why do we have to change the final drive? Wouldn't the tranny and transfer case from the evo already be set up to accept the same gear ratio'd rear end??

Thats just the point its not, go get a rear of an evo 3 or get a crown wheel and pinion for a 2g awd and call it a day. 2g=3.9 evo 3=4.5.

So any update on this, I pulled my tranny for a TOB and noticed I had a EVOIII tranny. Now the tranny shop that put this in didn't tell me it was a EVOIII tranny but did have to change the shifter lever/arm going into the tranny and removed the counter weight. Now I love this tranny, makes alittle more gear noise, and doesn't like to grind. Did the EVOIII trannys have anything different done internally?

Also, I know the tranny shop didn't change my final gear, what would this do to my car? I don't understand 100%. The tranny is stiffer feeling if that helps out at all.

Thanks,
Kendel

not tryin to hijack your post :)

If they didnt change your final gear ratio then your center diff. would blow. If your front wheels are turning at a different rate than the rear wheels the center diff. cant distribute the power evenly... kaboom. Now if youve been driving it for 2 years with no problem that probably means someone somewhere changed the final drive ratio in your tranny.

btw did anyone ever find out what the "MMZL" at the end of w5m33-MMZL? im still wondering...

On the topic of the EVO III trans. Does anyone know if the center diff is the same stock two spider as a 2g or did it come with a stronger one? Regarding the front LSD, it is a viscous style correct? I have a Quaife, I'm wondering if I should stay with the stock lsd or if the Quaife would show that much improvement.:confused:

Sorry to bring this back , but i was looking into doing an awd conversion and i was going to buy a stock 96 gsx tranny with transfercase and a awd flywheel. I would then get everything else from a 98 gsx that has a evo 3 tranny with a 7 bolt. so i have been researching to make sure everything would fit and then i came across this thread. I really dont understand about the final ratio stuff and then i heard that if you have a evo 3 tranny you have to change the differential as well. Am i reading this wrong if so can somone help. I want to buy that awd tranny but now idk if the parts from the other 2g would fit?? hope so before i buy that awd tranny and find out that the other's center differential wont fit.

this thread is a train wreck. you need to match everything, if you have a 1995-6 tranny then you need to have the tcase that goes with it. If you have an evo3 tranny then you need the tcase and the rearend. the 1995-6 and the 1997-99 use the same rearend gear so if it is usdm you are fine.

also not that in matters now but the evo3 front diff came 3 different ways with either an open diff a viscous lsd and a mechanical lsd.

any more questions fire away.

ok well the guy says all he changed was the tranny and transfer case and didnt change anything lese that it just bolted on. i know about the 95-96 and 97-99 spline count on the transfer case and that you have to use the same tranny. but rear end as in differential ??

ok well the guy says all he changed was the tranny and transfer case and didnt change anything lese that it just bolted on. i know about the 95-96 and 97-99 spline count on the transfer case and that you have to use the same tranny. but rear end as in differential ??

you are a little confusing in your description, if you have a 2g tranny you are fine. If you have an evo3 you need to change the rear diff, It will bolt up but the ratios ARE different and you either need to change the rear diff or the front diff ring and pinion so that they match.

i want to buy a tranny and case from a 96 gsx with transfer case . . and then buy a a 98 gsx that currently has a evo 3 tranny with an evo 3 transfer case. i asked the guy who has a 98 gsx if he swapped anything else into it and he said no. it bolt right on. so it got me thinking if he messed up the differential or if he changed something else that would not let me use the tranny from the 96 gsx.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back