The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G EVO III Need help with which oil to use!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRippedNerd

Proven Member
May 1, 2021
Denver, Colorado
So i just noticed that my EVO 3 is about 1 qt low in oil and idk what kind of oil the guys who had it before me used. i hear the best oil to use is Motul’s 300V fully synthetic 10W-40? but i cant get my hands on any before this sunday which is a huge car meet/cruse i paid for. and advanced auto and o'reilly auto parts doesnt carry this or my fuel filter so i cant even change the oil in time, unless i can use a 2g oil filter? but idk if thats even possible. my question is (even though i know this is a no no when mixing oil) will i be safe if i mixed in some Mobile 1 fully synthetic 10w-40?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Why mix it in when you can just replace it by changing it?

Evo3 are 7 bolts. Im sure youll be fine using a 2g filter

Walmart carries a 5 QUART jug of Mobil 1 fully synthetic for about $23. Amsoil is good oil as well if you can find it locally

Last edited:
i need to find out which filter i can use since it doesnt show in their system, then i can just change the oil myself, but idk much about these other than its a 7 bolt "2g" motor essentially, so it would make sense that the filter should work but? i dont want to risk anything

WIX oil filter- 51356 $10.49 at Oreilly Auto. Or for a 1g 51381 same cost.
i need to find out which filter i can use since it doesnt show in their system, then i can just change the oil myself, but idk much about these other than its a 7 bolt "2g" motor essentially, so it would make sense that the filter should work but? i dont want to risk anything

I always use valvoline vr1 20/50. They make a couple viscosities but some are hard to find in stores. To be honest I have never used mobil 1 and from what I have heard will never use mobil 1

When it comes to oils, you'll get more opinions on 'em than there are people on this planet...

But since you axed, regular Motul 6100 10w-40, should be ideal for your climate.

Castrol has been tested as the best motor oil for Mitsubishi engines, I ran Castrol magnatec 10w-40 c3 in my E3
and HKS oil filter, on transmission I ran Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75w-90 API GL-4, and my car worked great, 350hp
This was a few years ago so there might be some better oil with better dinosaurs and minerals in it but I do use same lubricants in my TSi as well

I don't remember, it was mentioned at the meeting at Mitsubishi Imports where I worked as a mechanic and we started to use Castrol products after that

I am always open to new tests and studies. More information is always better. What I will say though is in all my time messing with dsms I have never seen anyone say castrol is the best before. Maybe there are newer tests and stuff now, I might be running off of old info.

For me the go to study is the forced performance oil test, but that is starting to get old by now. I am honestly curious to see if we can get some up to date tests in this thread so everyone has the newest info

I think Pennzoil GT 25W50 and amsoil dominator 15w50 are probably the better than vr1 but I use it because it is easy to find in stores

Last edited:
At least Castrol has worked really well on my Mitsus, no matter what any tests says though, also that was back in Finland if it affects for tests, as well as Nokia (Finnish tyre brand) makes the best tyres (in daily use, not track)

Any Euro spec oil is miles better than the standard US oil. It doesnt have to be anything fancy but you do want to see that oil meets BMW/Porche/VW/MB specifications. Euro oils have a higher standard in wear protection/oxidation/extended drain intervals and so on.... They dont have to conform to US CAFE standards where all they care about is shorter oil change intervals to make money and thinner viscosities for better fuel economy.

All manufacturers have a euro spec oil thats easily found on the shelfs. Mobile 1 euro, Castrol euro, valvoline euro. What you will notice is that most of these oils are 0w40 or 5w40. Pick whatever flavor you want. It doesnt really matter, however, dont use Diesel oil like Rotella. It is no longer a good oil.

Any Euro spec oil is miles better than the standard US oil. It doesnt have to be anything fancy but you do want to see that oil meets BMW/Porche/VW/MB specifications. Euro oils have a higher standard in wear protection/oxidation/extended drain intervals and so on.... They dont have to conform to US CAFE standards where all they care about is shorter oil change intervals to make money and thinner viscosities for better fuel economy.

All manufacturers have a euro spec oil thats easily found on the shelfs. Mobile 1 euro, Castrol euro, valvoline euro. What you will notice is that most of these oils are 0w40 or 5w40. Pick whatever flavor you want. It doesnt really matter, however, dont use Diesel oil like Rotella. It is no longer a good oil.
Can you elaborate why Rotella is no longer a good oil?

Can you elaborate why Rotella is no longer a good oil?
Diesel oil changed specs ages ago to the newer CJ /CK oils that have lower allowable limits on zinc. They also aren't formulated for high rpm motors and have foaming issues. On top of that T6 shears down to a 30 weight oil in no time.

ProjectFarm on YouTube does test different kind of things, you guys can suggest premium oil brands for the test but be specific

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back