The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo III 16G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92talontsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2003
Fayetteville, North_Carolina
Ok bear with me here guys. It's been a while since I have messed with these cars. Anyway I am buying a 90 awd tsi march 5th. THe car has a Evo III 16G already on it.
Need some more info on the turbo. How much boost can be ran if the supporting mods are there.

Also Are there different variations of the evo III 16G? Like is there a small and is there a big or is the evo 3 pretty much a big 16g?

Theres a small, big, Oem, and knock off evo 3's out there.. Most likely the guy went to a reputable place and got it..So it should be big 16g..Your good for 20 psi + with supporting mods..The evo 3 is moe efficiant at higher boost than it is default..

Your in for alot of fun..LOL

You can run 30 psi if your setup for it. My car feels good at 28 psi and I leave it there when I'm running racing gas, 21-23 psi on pump gas. I am always surprised how "fast" a spooling turbo the EVOIII 16g is. Not so much at what rpm it comes on at, but how fast it respools at part throttle. For the money, for a new turbo, I can't think of a combo that beats it in terms of h.p./dollar.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one widely available EVOIII 16g, there might be minute variations thru the production runs as is typical for any product, but I think there is one only.

Sweet deal. When I test drove the car he was running it at stock boost and it pulled pretty decent. Only did a few 2nd gear pulls. I chugged her along in 2nd to see how quick it spooled. The guy says when you turn the boost up it runs into fuel cut so that's why its at stock boost.
The car already had a VRS 3" stainless turbo back exhaust on it. Which is like godsend for me because that's the exhaust I would put on it anyway. Can't wait to get this beast. Thanks for the info guys

Big 16g is from the evo1 and evo2. The evo3 16g has a revised big 16g which has a smaller compressor hub thinner compressor blades an SLIGHTLY larger inducer (minodr diameter). This is what we call the evo3 16g. The big ig is called the big 16g because at about the same time they produced the evo3 16g turbo MHI did away with the big 16g and introduced the small 16g as an upgrade to some platforms and perhaps for some smaller diesel applications. The small 16g is afar more efficient compressor than the regular big 16g (evo1-evo2). And only flows abut 2lb/min less at 60% efficiency. It's a good replacement to an old evo1-2 16g design that sees below 70% efficiency after where the wee 14b starts to max out.

Boost is subjective and vague. The answer is that you can run as much boost as your logger will tell you or your setup will allow.

Need some more info on the turbo.

The evo3 16g is truely the most talked about turbo in the entire DSM world! You really don't need anymore information about this turbo.

So a small 16g is a better turbo than an Evo 2 big 16g?
Big 16g is from the evo1 and evo2. The evo3 16g has a revised big 16g which has a smaller compressor hub thinner compressor blades an SLIGHTLY larger inducer (minodr diameter). This is what we call the evo3 16g. The big ig is called the big 16g because at about the same time they produced the evo3 16g turbo MHI did away with the big 16g and introduced the small 16g as an upgrade to some platforms and perhaps for some smaller diesel applications. The small 16g is afar more efficient compressor than the regular big 16g (evo1-evo2). And only flows abut 2lb/min less at 60% efficiency. It's a good replacement to an old evo1-2 16g design that sees below 70% efficiency after where the wee 14b starts to max out.

Boost is subjective and vague. The answer is that you can run as much boost as your logger will tell you or your setup will allow.

The evo3 16g is truely the most talked about turbo in the entire DSM world! You really don't need anymore information about this turbo.

Depends on what your looking for I think the best is the latter evo 16g lots of information on it, plenty out there on the turbo and what it can do.

Well I have the evo 2 16g now "46" and I'm wondering how much better it is to find an Evo 3 turbo. By the sounds of the above post the evo 1 and 2 turbos are garbage...
Depends on what your looking for I think the best is the latter evo 16g lots of information on it, plenty out there on the turbo and what it can do.

Well I have the evo 2 16g now "46" and I'm wondering how much better it is to find an Evo 3 turbo. By the sounds of the above post the evo 1 and 2 turbos are garbage...
Not garbage, but pretty much the difference between the Iphone 3 and Iphone 4 if you were to use a phone analogy. Does more or less the same thing, one does so slightly better.

I'm happy with my B16g since I only have 40$ in it after a few rebuilds and sales. Pulls much harder then the 14b I had at 20 psi. Slaping a e3 wheel on it and 10 mins of effort on the compressor housing will be an upgrade as well.

So a small 16g is a better turbo than an Evo 2 big 16g?
Define "better". It's smaller, if that's what you're looking for.

Unless you're raping your current turbo for all it's worth, you'd likely never notice a difference between the two. Your current turbo and the Evo III 16G have the exact same wheel spec- it's the size and shape of the blades that differ. So very, very minor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back