The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

EVO III 16G supporting mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1991TalonAWD

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chesterfield, Missouri
I have a 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that I am about to start working on and I am looking at getting a little larger turbo and will be doing some needed work to the car at the same time as in timing belt, replace hoses, possibly wires, and change all of the fluids to AMSOIL products. I know a boost gauge is recommended as well and that will be installed before I do a complete teardown to make sure it works.

My main thing is what is recommended to be done to ensure safe use? I know the internals will more than likely be alright, but should I redo anything in the fuel system or anything of that sort?

And is the SMIC still alright to use or should I use a FMIC? I am not looking for top power right now, just a little more fun for the time being until I can save up enough for a rotating assembly and head work.

Thanks for any advice you have to give me and I have been looking on here and can't seem to find anything that works for the 6 bolts for the most part.

You don't really need anything, if you keep the boost down, and get all the maintenance done. It's when you start cranking up the boost when you need upgrades, and for that just read the upgrade paths.

You've looked and found nothing about a 16g setup??

Here's a common list

Imo these are needed:
wideband
fuel pump (255) w/afpr
exhaust with no cat
boost controller

Highly recommended:
larger injectors
dsmlink
fmic
upgraded clutch

Just focus on maintenance before you start doing mods.

I ran my 16g for about 4 months on stock everything. It ran good I thought untill I pulled out my safc to play with it. Tuned it some using a logger and it runs alot better. I have no wideband but without tuning I had 140 low throttle trim and .85 volts on o2 at WOT. After tune throttle trim is about 105 and o2 reads .90 and it pulls alot harder.

P.S. I did see some small (4-6) counts of knock before tune but I live in California where we only have water downed 91 octane. So keep an eye on things....oh yea all on stock boost, well 11-12 bcs hacked.

If you feel like going above 10psi..... I have a evo 3 16g in my 97 spyer. Here is what I use and I boost at 18psi daily.

FMIC / 560cc injectors / safc2 / HKS SSQ BOV / 3" Turbo back / boost gauge / 3" 02 housing / and evoscan to log.

I know alot of local dsmers around my area that run the 16G setup, the usually list is .. I am currently building up to it.

Full exhaust
wideband fir air/fuels
FMIC ecspeially if running high boost
Larger Injectors, 560s are safe
Fuel pump, Walboro255 very common

Thats about what everyone runs with some good tuning and they run strong

Im selling v3 full already installed in a eprom ecu for 450..

tell me thats not affordable.

I got my afc2 for 100$ and a wideband for 100$... I am a college student. to drop 450$ on a car tuning device that afc will do the same thing. It just doesn't make sense for me to buy link.. And you cannot say afc2 isn't good. My buddy's 94 3000gt vr4 made 542awhp on afc.

:banghead: afc does not do the same thing. I would not buy anything other than dsmlink to tune with. Well worth saving up the few extra paychecks to get it.

:banghead: afc does not do the same thing. I would not buy anything other than dsmlink to tune with. Well worth saving up the few extra paychecks to get it.

If you understand how a AFC works and what the ecu will do with timing you can get a good tune on one. Its really about picking the right injectors for your setup, and if he's not wanting to build a race car just give his DD a kick an AFC will do fine. Defiantly better then using no tuning device.

see i just sold my safc today

they work good but anything under 650's and its useless so for the money i would say the same just because its way cheaper and you can get alittle more boost out of them if not do dsmlink or tactrix black box. im in the process of doing that now. i have evo 560's for sale cause im gonna get 880's for 100$ just pm me if interested. the safc is a pain in the a** to hook up comapred to the rest to so kinda be carefull.

my set up was:
450s
walbro 255
fmic with piping and greddy bov
injen non recirculated
full tranny clutch and shifter stage 3
studded head cam and crank
evo 8 rods npr pistons
3" dp and exhaust all the way back with decent cat and no muffler
big 16g w/ dump J pipe
boost controoler but was pointless had the car set a 12 pounds and at night it wood crack up or hit fuel cut so i used the wastegate and set it a t8-10
i am sellying the 16g now as well it needs a new bearing and there is zero shaft play idk what happened to it but i am using a 20g now so it just sits here. has about 2000 miles maybe on it.

The car is a 5 speed, it has 81k miles on it (body and all).
Okay thanks, I just wasn't sure.
I know DSMLink is the best out there, but I rather wait on buying it because I am as well a college student. I just want for now a more powerful DD like setup and I can always down the road make it faster with a built long block but until then just want more minor increases in power that will make things a little more interesting but still somewhat safe to drive regularly.

Do you folks know what the bottom end and top end can do for maximum power? Just curious on that.

I got my afc2 for 100$ and a wideband for 100$... I am a college student. to drop 450$ on a car tuning device that afc will do the same thing. It just doesn't make sense for me to buy link.. And you cannot say afc2 isn't good. My buddy's 94 3000gt vr4 made 542awhp on afc.

Okay thats, $200 so far.and on good deals. not every finds those. you also didn't mention the price of a logger.

You were most likely having to add too much fuel and pushing the ecu into fuel cut(ecu seeing to much air), had same problem. Threw on 560's pulled some fuel now running fine, if I throw on my hacked MAF I have to add fuel with 560's. This is no tuning thread tho so throw on that 16g and have some fun bro.

Price of a logger for a 1g is about 30 bucks for serial to USB adapter and you make your own cable and download free software.

The car is a 5 speed, it has 81k miles on it (body and all).
Okay thanks, I just wasn't sure.
I know DSMLink is the best out there, but I rather wait on buying it because I am as well a college student. I just want for now a more powerful DD like setup and I can always down the road make it faster with a built long block but until then just want more minor increases in power that will make things a little more interesting but still somewhat safe to drive regularly.

Do you folks know what the bottom end and top end can do for maximum power? Just curious on that.

Bottom end record is over 700 hp..

If you want some basic stuff just to make it more fun look at the list I posted before. That's just about as much as you can do without getting any sort of tuning device.

With stock injectors you probably won't be able to make over 300whp, but once you are at the level where you'll need injectors you'll need something to tune with aswell.

If you're curious what others are making on 16gs look at the dyno challenge list and look at their setups to get ideas for yourself.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dynosheets.php

20$ for a logger.. And used afc's and widebands are everywhere.. Not everyone is lazy.

What does having bought ecmlink have to do with being lazy? GTFO.

Bottom line ecmlink is better than a stupid afc.. yes afc are ok when running small injectors..

As we all know everyone will want to go bigger eventually.
So buy Right and Buy Once.!
Just wait and save.

ECMlink over anything, even for a stock car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back