The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO II Turbo issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96GST96

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sorry I meant to post "EVO III" in the main title, but anyways. I checked the forums, and though I had seen multiple turbo related issues within, there was none that I could relate my situation with. I recently ordered a J-Spec engine to replace my old engine. On the old engine, I have an EVO III turbo setup, with O2 housing and custom turbo exhaust manifold, that I am swapping onto the J-Spec engine. The mechanic I have the car at now said that there is a "possible" turbo leak. First off, the turbo is only a few months old, and hasn't been ran very hard at all (the car has been sitting for about 4 months, and hasn't been turned on). Secondly, I don't have a clue how to fix a leak, or what the repair costs would be to fix this so-called "possible" leak. Lastly, where can a leak occur? I know there is absolutely no shaft play whatsoever, and the turbo is still clean as a whistle. Help is greatly appreciated. :D

Sorry I meant to post "EVO III" in the main title, but anyways. I checked the forums, and though I had seen multiple turbo related issues within, there was none that I could relate my situation with. I recently ordered a J-Spec engine to replace my old engine. On the old engine, I have an EVO III turbo setup, with O2 housing and custom turbo exhaust manifold, that I am swapping onto the J-Spec engine. The mechanic I have the car at now said that there is a "possible" turbo leak. First off, the turbo is only a few months old, and hasn't been ran very hard at all (the car has been sitting for about 4 months, and hasn't been turned on). Secondly, I don't have a clue how to fix a leak, or what the repair costs would be to fix this so-called "possible" leak. Lastly, where can a leak occur? I know there is absolutely no shaft play whatsoever, and the turbo is still clean as a whistle. Help is greatly appreciated. :D

What type of leak? Oil leak? Water leak? Exhaust gas leak?

Ask him then, and find out if he is just BSing you to make more money.

I will for sure, but what kind of leaks can occur off a turbo in general? There's no fluids on the ground at all under the engine, nor any residue in the engine bay, so what "leak" could there be?

I second that ^ sounds like just some bull****. I've had mechanics tell me i need fluids changed or parts replaced literaly a week after having them replaced just to make a buck, when all I came there for was an alignment and whatnot. "I asked you to straighten my wheels not rebuild my motor."

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back