The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 9 pistons VS JE forged.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcefed86

15+ Year Contributor
May 23, 2006
wichita, Kansas
Rebuilding my short block at the moment.
I can buy a set of JE pistons hung on 1g rods w/ moly rings, arp bolts ready to go for $450 (used approx 5 k) Buddy is going stroker and just pulled these.

Will be making around 450 whp tops with this build. Do you all think JE pistons are overkill? I plan on daily driving this build, so the durability of the JE's is a plus.

On the other hand....

I've read up on the light weight evo 9 pistons and they are pretty impressive. I will be running e85 fuel also so the 9:1 comp with the evo 9 pistons will work out great.

My original plan before seeing this deal was to go with DSM graveyard evo9 piston/rod/ring combo. $575

Now I'm torn...

What would you all do? :hmm:

Im still building my other car, but it has evo 9 pistons on 1g big rods with a borg warner s366 =P

If you do use the evo 9 pistons you have to have the rods punched out to work right....I'm looking at a block with 1g rods and evo9 pistons and I'm wanting to try them out.....plus with 9:1 compression I can drop a couple pounds of boost and still make the same power.....I say try the evo9's out I'm going to!!!!

I am currently running EVO 9's in my car. Don't even have 300 miles on the build. I had the rods punched out 1mm. The most expensive thing was the rings,. I ordered the race rings from DSM Graveyard.

Rebuilding my short block at the moment.
I can buy a set of JE pistons hung on 1g rods w/ moly rings, arp bolts ready to go for $450 (used approx 5 k) Buddy is going stroker and just pulled these.

Will be making around 450 whp tops with this build. Do you all think JE pistons are overkill? I plan on daily driving this build, so the durability of the JE's is a plus.

On the other hand....

I've read up on the light weight evo 9 pistons and they are pretty impressive. I will be running e85 fuel also so the 9:1 comp with the evo 9 pistons will work out great.

My original plan before seeing this deal was to go with DSM graveyard evo9 piston/rod/ring combo. $575

Now I'm torn...

What would you all do? :hmm:

I would pay $150 more for aftermarket rods, and pistons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Evo IX pistons were 8.8:1 compression ratio? One of the last things I have to decide on my build is my piston/rod setup. At this point I'm pretty much set on 6-bolt rods with Evo IX pistons.

I would pay $150 more for aftermarket rods, and pistons.

On a peak 450hp build I just don't see the point. (16g turbo) ??

I would assume the lightest most efficient piston that can handle the HP range would be best suited. I'm not sure if the JE or the Evo 9 piston is lighter. I know the Evo 9 pin is offset which induces less stress on the rods. One of the reasons evo's can get away with (500hp on 7 bolt rods).

The DSM graveryard set comes with there custom rings, so ring cost is not a factor.

I'm just not sure if the evo 9's are worth the extra $150 over forged JE units.

...and yes I believe evo 9 pistons are 8.8:1 I was rounding up. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I bought the short block that was built from the guys at the DSM graveyard!!!! I got it for 800 bucks. The guy was desperate to get rid of it I guess!!!!

I am building an all mitus block right now. I am using the 1g rods machined to fit evo 9 pistons. oem crank, evo springs and retainers, 3g lifters etc. I am trying keep every internal a mitsu component.

It looks promising. Definately. And dsmgraveyard guys build blocks like that for us 1g guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back