The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo 9 pistons on Eagle rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmtalontsi95

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
glenvile, Pennsylvania
There are a few threads on evo pistons but I want to make sure my set up is ok. I have a set of evo 9 pistons and a set of eagle rods. I want to put them to together and have a fairly nice bottom end. This is for a DD or weekend car. I'm not going to the strip ever weekend, maybe twice a year. I'm going to have an hx35 with 25 psi so I'm looking for about 400hp with room to grow. Now what exactly are the compression ratio's of these pistons in our motor (6-bolt)? I've herd the piston them selves are either 8.8-9 but with our heads with that piston is 8:1. The other thing is I hear some people say turn the pistons around in the block and some say don't, which is it? I did some searching but there is no striaght answer on these.

Chance

Ok, then is there a difference in people using after market pistons on stock rods? Is the pin situation different there?

Yes there is a difference. if you want to run evo pistons, you can use evo rods I think. Or 2g rods without modifying them.

most after market pistons are held in place by a full floating piston and snap rings

Evo pistons/dsm stock piston 1g or 2g have press in pistons. you need a mechanical press to get the pin out of the piston and rod.

sorry for a thread revive, but I was looking into eagle rods on evo pistons and this is all I can find. So if eagle rods will not work with evo pistons, which ones will? or do I have to get a piston/rod combo to upgrade. I currently have 6bolt rods with evo pistons, already machined and balanced and installed on the block, but I read that 6 bolts are at there limit at 500hp, and i want to hold 500 and room to grow. I really cant afford for new rods and pistons

If you're looking for 500whp and already have Eagle rods then why go through the trouble of using stock pistons? Just get a set of Wisecos and be done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back