The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 9 Engine block repairable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAKTOINK

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2012
San Diego, California
Hi All,

First of all, the block in question comes from an Evo 9, so engine is part of the 4G63 family and very similar to our late 2G 4G63 blocks with the split thrust bearing design. The reason why I am posting here is because prior to owning the Evo 9 I've own DSMs and I've learned a whole lot in DSMTUNERS. So, here I am seeking advice from this community.

Background story: Long story short I bought an Evo 9 earlier this year and cylinder #1 had low compression. I tore the engine and to my surprise I also found what I think is an issue with crankwalk? (I might be wrong). The engine only had 2K miles on a rebuild, so it could have possibly be bad assembly practice? The crank end play was for sure out of spec. My problem is that the damage was bad enough to not only "mushroom" one side of the thrust bearing surface on the crank, but it also made a groove on the block and girdle.

My question is if this block salvageable? Based on what I see I suspect that the block is not repairable or that maybe it might not be cost effective? Nevertheless, I wanted to see if there are different opinions. Specially, form people who had similar situation; let me know what was your course of action.

Please see the pictures for your reference and thank your time and advise.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Arrow pointing to “mushroomed” surface. Other side is perfectly flat.

Arrow pointing to “mushroomed” surface. Other side is perfectly flat.

For comparison this is the other side of the same journal on the girdle.

This is the groove the crank made on the block which is very close to the ridge in which the thrust bearing sits.

For comparison this is the other side which looks perfect.

You can see that the damage made like a “chamfer” on one side where as the other side is perfectly square (green arrow).

I would advise you to find another block, I have never seen a 4g63 that crankwalked that lasted after it was put back together, whatever caused the crankwalk usually does damage to the block to the point of no real repair.

Yeah.... I had a feeling this might not repairable or even if it is; not advisable. These blocks are kind of hard to get a hold of, so I guess the car will sit with the other DSM's for now LOL!

Yeah.... I had a feeling this might not repairable or even if it is; not advisable. These blocks are kind of hard to get a hold of, so I guess the car will sit with the other DSM's for now LOL!
2.4 swap it. That's what most evo guys do because they're cheaper.

At this point I am considering it. The block its hard to come by and also very expensive compared to the 2.4 block. Decisions... Decisions....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back