The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 8, Should I buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse98_RS

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2006
Otsego, Minnesota
I did a bit of searching and could not really find any answers for what I was looking for so here goes. I am not new to DSM's by any means. I had a 420A Eclipse for 4 years and then a 4G63 with some fairly major mods done to it for about a year. I have noticed that almost nobody posts on here that has an Evo. I know the older 97-99 Eclipse engines had their issues. Im assuming the Evo 8 is not any different?

Basically I want to know some of the more specific things about the car. How strong is the tranny? Are the stock parts good enough, or do they have obvious design flaws?

Im really in the dark when it comes to Evo's. I really only know about their HP and torque specs and that is about it.

If anyone can direct me to a site or give me some nice concrete evidence that it is a good car I would appreciate it. (Im possibly buying one after this winter is over and want to become more knowledgable about the car first before I make any rash decisions.)

Thanks for your understanding.

dude all i know is anyone i mean anyone would kill to have the evo. you should do this. you could put alot into a eclipse and make it fast as the evo, you could put alot in the evo and nothing would touch you. :)

Well basically the Evo is an eclipse with all the trimmings. Doesnt it even have the E316G turbo?

Like I said kinda in the dark on the specifics of it. I have always wanted either an Evo or an STi. My buddy made my choice easier when he bought an STi. Now I just have to pick out which color I want and find one next spring.

Yea the evo 8 has the 16g, but i think its a ballbearing turbo. I am lookng for one too, but i think dsm's have a good power to weight ratio. I have driven an evo and don't get me wrong i love it but taking of with my car from the line feels a lot faster than with the evo. But Evo's have a better platform to work, and less flaws then a dsm. The trans on the evo is pretty solid and it can hold up to 500hp, as long as the clutch is upgraded offcourse.

Yea the evo 8 has the 16g, but i think its a ballbearing turbo. I am lookng for one too, but i think dsm's have a good power to weight ratio. I have driven an evo and don't get me wrong i love it but taking of with my car from the line feels a lot faster than with the evo. But Evo's have a better platform to work, and less flaws then a dsm. The trans on the evo is pretty solid and it can hold up to 500hp, as long as the clutch is upgraded offcourse.

That is not true!! MHI doesnt make a Ball Bearing Turbo!

But it is a TD05HR Big 16G 9.8CM turbo (R) meaning it is reverse rotation but all the EVO turbos are!

just my $.02

Turbo

PS What are your goals for the EVO if you decide to get it?

Twin scroll turbo at 19Psi stock is what is claimed by the Mitsu.

My goals at first would be just to put exhaust on it. Then I would work my way up after getting used to it. I had a solid platform on my Eclipse and would like to use the same things if possible like the S AFC-II for engine management, etc. But like I mentioned I have no clue if all my old toys work for an Evo or not.

issues with clutch on some of them, and Transfer cases. Clutch usually last no more than 41k on some of the Evo Viii's. I don't know why, but that just seems to be the case. Also the Maf, if the Maf vibrates too much, the engine will stall itself. I was riding in my homie's Evo VIII and a Maro passed, really loud and it shook the maf and it stalled......I asked why, he told me its a common issue with the Evo.

issues with clutch on some of them, and Transfer cases. Clutch usually last no more than 41k on some of the Evo Viii's. I don't know why, but that just seems to be the case. Also the Maf, if the Maf vibrates too much, the engine will stall itself. I was riding in my homie's Evo VIII and a Maro passed, really loud and it shook the maf and it stalled......I asked why, he told me its a common issue with the Evo.

??

LOL i sold me evo with 41k on it and it has been cammed almost the whole time on the stock clutch, i guess the guy that bougt it finally went threw the clutch at 60k

i never had a problem with the MAS and never heard of any one having that problem must be his car

as for the OP if you have the chance buy it!

you will hate your GST after owning a evo LOL i loved that car it was amazing!!

??

LOL i sold me evo with 41k on it and it has been cammed almost the whole time on the stock clutch, i guess the guy that bougt it finally went threw the clutch at 60k

i never had a problem with the MAS and never heard of any one having that problem must be his car

as for the OP if you have the chance buy it!

you will hate your GST after owning a evo LOL i loved that car it was amazing!!

LOL, i am not sure on that one, My boy told me it happens to a lot of Evo's. 0_o, anyways that clutch thing happens on some Evo's not all, I know some people that had to replace, and some that are still on stock clutch, maybe it has to do with driving habit. who knows. anyways, The evo to me was really cool driving it. but could be faster for what it cost ahaha.

In my opinion, if you can get an evo 9 for a little more then an 8, do it. The engine is a bit different with the mivec and sorts, but it is a very capable motor stock.

I say if you can afford it get a evo. But a 2gb gsx with some mods is just as nice for half the price.

dude all i know is anyone i mean anyone would kill to have the evo. you should do this. you could put alot into a eclipse and make it fast as the evo, you could put alot in the evo and nothing would touch you. :)

I wouldn't...I'll stick with DSMs. Parts are cheaper and 2 door is better.

LOL, i am not sure on that one, My boy told me it happens to a lot of Evo's. 0_o, anyways that clutch thing happens on some Evo's not all, I know some people that had to replace, and some that are still on stock clutch, maybe it has to do with driving habit. who knows. anyways, The evo to me was really cool driving it. but could be faster for what it cost ahaha.

yea it really depends how you drive the car, mine lasted untill i sold the car

my friend went threw his in his IX under 4k miles LOL

but they are great cars

If you can, get a IX, you'll need cams to make the same power on an 8 as on a 9 plus with the 9 you get ACD a better diverter valve, nicer looking interior. With a 9, you don't get HID's (stock on an 8 only on the MR and SE IX's) and you don't get the full CF wing. The '03's seemed to have the most issues with the TC, but you hear about people with all years having issues. The 6-spd in the MR isn't as strong as the 5-spd. Oh and theres no reason to tune with an safc. Get yourself a tactrix cable there's plenty of tuning and logging software for cheap/free and the capabilities are far beyone what any SAFC can do.

Also heard that the Sunroof models, have Problems due to the Sunroof acting up. Im pretty Sure Late VIII's have Mivec also. and 03 VIII's came with the FMIC Sprayer set up only.
-Shane

Also heard that the Sunroof models, have Problems due to the Sunroof acting up. Im pretty Sure Late VIII's have Mivec also. and 03 VIII's came with the FMIC Sprayer set up only.
-Shane

the 03's had the FMIC sprayer's but they are usless LOL, my 03 had it and did nothing

03's are the only year that HID's and projectors were standard, the other years HID's were a option, except the 05 VIII MR came with them (and 06IX MR)

the IX's were 06 only and only year with Mivec

do not get a MR the 6spd trannys suck 4th gear is like glass and you will have to shift in to 5th in the 1/4 once it is bolt on moded LOL

i would get a 06 GSR(middle class) or a RS(base no pw locks/windows) just not a MR

the 03's had the FMIC sprayer's but they are usless LOL, my 03 had it and did nothing

03's are the only year that HID's and projectors were standard, the other years HID's were a option, except the 05 VIII MR came with them (and 06IX MR)

the IX's were 06 only and only year with Mivec

do not get a MR the 6spd trannys suck 4th gear is like glass and you will have to shift in to 5th in the 1/4 once it is bolt on moded LOL

i would get a 06 GSR(middle class) or a RS(base no pw locks/windows) just not a MR

I knew about the tranny issue with MR's, but wasn't it more like 4,5 and 6 went out?

You don't hear much about the evo on here because it isn't dsm. There is a lot of similarities though, and if you can, buy it. I would love to have an evo dd and turn my dsm into race only.

I came from a 2g that I loved and miss dearly. :cry:
As long as you don't go too crazy the car is great;
I've never had a problem with a vibrating MAF, just keep it properly bracketed as it should be.
My stock clutch went out at 21K, but I'm having fun with it and the stocker is only 2100 lbs.
I had a S-AFC at first and it worked good, but I'm now using ecu flash and having access to the fuel and timing tables is awsome.
Simple bolt ons get's you 300+ and tires are expensive. Other then that, I've never had a problem.
:D

... oh yea, six speed trannies don't like to race, some 03's had a misfire issue, sometimes some syncros need replacing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back