The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 8 Piston/Oil Squirter Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Very quick question, I have Evo 8 Pistons on my 1g rods (4G63T, 6-bolt block) can I modify my OEM 1g Oil Squirters or would it be better to just buy a set of Evo 8 Oil Squirters? Thanks in advance.

_Alex

I'm actually wondering the same thing, I'll be putting Evo 9 pistons in my n/t and switch the rods out with the 7 bolt rods, but not running a turbo right away. Extra lube would be nice not to have to worry at all. I'm thinking personally it wouldn't hurt to upgrade because the 6 bolt blocks have the ports for the extra oil jets from what I've heard but hopefully someone can fully answer your question.

A few people run the non turbo block with turbo and have no issues. The n/t do not come with oil squirters. The reason they run those blocks is for better oil pressure elsewhere in the motor. Hope that helps.

i have a 6 bolt block with no oil squirters in it and im running my turbo with 20 lbs of boost i dont have any problems but my other 6 bolt block that had the oil squirters with the evo 8 pistons ruined the squirters so were going to find a way to clog them holes to take care of that problem

Ok so what I am to understand is that I should not use any oil jets at all? This is going to be a daily driver and I want it to last, but running without the jets makes me kind of nervous. Is there anyone that has installed the squirters from an Evo 8 into their 6-Bolt 2.0L 4G63T? The Evo 8 pistons are shorter than the OEM 1g ones so I cant imagine them damaging the squirters from the Evo 8 or the OEM 1g ones either, and as I understand it the jets are a bit longer and taller when it comes to the tubing on them while the 1g ones are thicker at the base but angled differently with the tubing while being shorter as well. Im still confused at what to do at this point, anyone else have some insight as to how I should approach this? Much appreciated to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply. :)

I use Evo8 oil squirters on my 6 bolt 4g63. I'm also running a 100mm crank so my pistons go even further down the bore (although the stroker pistons possibly have a shorter skirt as well). The Evo squirters, as you found, are angled slightly differently and require much less bending for proper clearance. There exists a thread on here with pictures comparing 1g and Evo oil squirters side by side.

By far the most important thing to keep in mind is checking the clearance between the squirter and piston at BDC, and also the clearance between the squirter and the crank counterweights. The way I measured clearance was to take a washer of known thickness and slide it in between the squirter and piston/crank counterweight. If it slides easily, I have at least the washer's thickness in clearance. If not, I removed the squirter and tweaked it slightly.

I know our applications and setups are different, however, so I hope there is some useful info you might take from this.

EDIT: For your situation, if you are waiting on just the squirters, I would assemble the rotating assembly and trial fit the 1g oil squirters you already have. Check for clearance and if it looks like you will have to do a decent amount of bending to get them to clear, order a set of Evo squirters.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back