The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 8 or STI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1224

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2003
AlabamaUS
Would u guys get the STI or EVO8? After looking at the price difference, the evo retails about $2800-$2900 while the STI will run for $3400. I have to admit that the STI looks a lot better but they still have their TMIC. After doing a little reading up, the EVO ran flat 13's bone stock! :thumb: ... Its hard to believe that the STI coming to america with 300HP can actually do 12's in a 1/4 mile.. or can it?

I would like to get a STI and cream V8s all day long.

Originally posted by BD1
I would like to get a STI and cream V8s all day long.

I bet you have a giant wing on your car and Altezza's. If your great big goal in life is to cream a stock V8, I find you very pathetic.

STi.. Evo is boosted at 19psi stock, where the STi is 14.5. Crank the Sti up to 19 and see where it takes you as well as mounting that TMIC up front with a 3" exhaust.. I am guessing 350 crank is easily attainable..

Originally posted by RuBiCaNT5X
STi.. Evo is boosted at 19psi stock, where the STi is 14.5. Crank the Sti up to 19 and see where it takes you as well as mounting that TMIC up front with a 3" exhaust.. I am guessing 350 crank is easily attainable..

ive seen 3 evos with boost gauges on them (aftermarket ones that is, 2 autometers and a greddy) and they all peaked at 17psi. thanks for the info mitsu! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by P8ntBalla
ive seen 3 evos with boost gauges on them (aftermarket ones that is, 2 autometers and a greddy) and they all peaked at 17psi. thanks for the info mitsu! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, sport... Even though you have seen a TON of them...3, lets just see what Car and Driver has to say..

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640&page_number=3

"On paper, the Evolution doesn't look like such a great proposition. Down 29 horsepower to the STi, it's nominally slower than the Subaru from a standing start. Its transverse-mounted 2.0-liter DOHC in-line four is turbocharged to within an inch of its life with a maximum of 19.5 pounds of boost.OMG Consequently, its power delivery is, at best, uneven. At low speed, there's a two-second gap between throttle application and full turbo boost. Then the engine virtually explodes with power, the turbo hissing in sinister fashion."

:shhh:

oh my god, so car and driver read the dealer specs(yes, the very same ones that the dealer tells its many gullable customers), then included them in an article about the car!?! that must mean thats what the car runs! holy crap, me seeing a real boost gauge (no, real boost gauges ) can just forget that :rolleyes:

oh my god, so car and driver read the dealer specs(yes, the very same ones that the dealer tells its many gullable customers), then included them in an article about the car!?! that must mean thats what the car runs! holy crap, me seeing a real boost gauge (no, real boost gauges ) can just forget that :rolleyes:

Well, Gee... Because you are such a highly respected person in the Import Tuning community, I think we should just take your word for it.. Wear a helmet next time you go for an little paintball action.. I think it's obvious you've taken too many to the head...

Ha, you know whats funny. I find it funny that doing the first car showing of the evo they said they didnt put in a "real" boast guage, because they didnt wont the driver to be distracted from looking at it. Now what would distract the driver, ah yes the phony boost level they "claim" its set at.

I find it pathetic, when dodge can go out there way to put in a legit one in the srt-4 but mitsu wont put one in the evo. Why would you make a turbo car without a boost guage. Hell, at least put a fake one in it like you did our dsm's.

please tell me where youre finding an evo for $3k

am a little curious too.:confused: i want 3 pls.:p

seriously.... the only thing that i would like about STi than the EVO is their AWD system. power, handling, styling wise? i'll take the EVO!

Thanks for that, sport... Even though you have seen a TON of them...3, lets just see what Car and Driver has to say..

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640&page_number=3

"On paper, the Evolution doesn't look like such a great proposition. Down 29 horsepower to the STi, it's nominally slower than the Subaru from a standing start. Its transverse-mounted 2.0-liter DOHC in-line four is turbocharged to within an inch of its life with a maximum of 19.5 pounds of boost.OMG Consequently, its power delivery is, at best, uneven. At low speed, there's a two-second gap between throttle application and full turbo boost. Then the engine virtually explodes with power, the turbo hissing in sinister fashion."

:shhh:

Turbo spool can be helped in a number of ways, all of which can be attended to in the aftermarket. And if an Autometer says 17 psi, I'd probably go with that over the dealer specs. Yeah, that's why they ranked the Evo first of the two cars. You picked the only critical paragraph on the Evo, the STi was degraded by the mag as well as Rod Millen in his report. Meanwhile he praised the roadworthiness of the Evo. Perhaps work on your unbiased reporting there stud.

Tom

Wear a helmet next time you go for an little paintball action.. I think it's obvious you've taken too many to the head...

wow, that was........really, uh, funny?:rolleyes:

it doesnt take a "highly respected person in the Import Tuning community" to read a boost gauge.

Personally, I would take the Evo. For one I've been an Evolution fan since I knew what the car was. 13's stock @ 19 PSI souns good to me. If you really want 300HP from the factory then so be it but I think what you get with the Evo 8 compared to the STI is a better deal. Now what I'm about to say is going to raise alot of eyebrows. I remember watching Speedvision one day and hearing a Mitsubishi Sales Rep. of some sort mentioning something about a possibility of a Ralliart version of the Evo 8 coming over. I dont know if that will stand or not. Another thing, if you have the money and you are willing to spend it. www.EvolutionImports.com ... they sell the Evo 8 GSR for $30k+ the GSR has 300 HP to the crank.
:dsm:

Thank you to all who are still on topic. The rest of you should try to stay on topic as well ;)

it would be a long hard decision, but i think id go with an evo, and swap it to the 7 body style. looks so much better imo. anyway i would like to have a radio in my car so out window goes the sti. and what about ac? do they come with an ac? i dont recall them coming with one. it would be a daily driver so those are deff needed.

Originally posted by IdealEclipse
Personally, I would take the Evo. For one I've been an Evolution fan since I knew what the car was. 13's stock @ 19 PSI souns good to me. If you really want 300HP from the factory then so be it but I think what you get with the Evo 8 compared to the STI is a better deal. Now what I'm about to say is going to raise alot of eyebrows. I remember watching Speedvision one day and hearing a Mitsubishi Sales Rep. of some sort mentioning something about a possibility of a Ralliart version of the Evo 8 coming over. I dont know if that will stand or not. Another thing, if you have the money and you are willing to spend it. www.EvolutionImports.com ... they sell the Evo 8 GSR for $30k+ the GSR has 300 HP to the crank.
:dsm:

Im suprise nobody has even thought of buying a japan spec one from them considering the hideous mark up the dealers are trying to put on the usa evo's. They even have a nice 1999 skyline in the used section they are trying to get this export, LOL. I wonder why they want to sell it out of the usa, that sucks.

Originally posted by FourG63 97GST
Ill take the Evo
I dont want to have to learn this boxer engine shit

LoL ^

Anyhow, I'd take the STi, it's funner and if you're a good driver you'd get used to the little things if you decide to have it as a daily :thumb: We'd need to see next year's WRC and see if Subaru starts using the new modeled STi or Mitsu decides to RalliArt the Evo8...

EVO all the way IMO. The 4G63 has been well proven over time, and the latest version of the 4G63 is even better and somewhat stronger from the factory. It has hollowed cam shafts and forged internals if I'm not mistaken. I think the EVO is underrated from the factory, because I have the newest MotorTrend mag and they got a 13.0 @ 105 with one and a 13.2 with the STI. I have also seen a dyno chart somewhere of the EVO making 240whp, which at the crank is about 300 hp considering the awd driveline.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back