The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

evo 8 motor in a 3rd gen eclipse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfwdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2008
brick, New_Jersey
so theres a kid running around 37 claiming he has a evo 8 engine in his 3rd gen.
Beening as i have never heard of this i dont know if its true or not wont pop his hood.
So my question is is this a possable swap i know anything is possable with enoug money but this kids in collage i dont think he has the cash to custom fab shit

well... did it look like this ?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zWfibaezjzI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zWfibaezjzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zWfibaezjzI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zWfibaezjzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he wont pop the hood so idk thats really fing cool tho i want one

No Eclipse is awd after the 2gs and if he managed to do an awd swap, I'll be impressed.

haha yeah me to..
the funny part is if he did the swap and built the motor up and spent a ton of cash he probly spent more and got less.
by that i mean those years have the v6 well say he spent 7gs on the build he could have spent probly 4500 on the v6 and made 8seconds in the quarter but if he did it just to be diffrent then i give it to him he is

haha yeah me to..
the funny part is if he did the swap and built the motor up and spent a ton of cash he probly spent more and got less.
by that i mean those years have the v6 well say he spent 7gs on the build he could have spent probly 4500 on the v6 and made 8seconds in the quarter but if he did it just to be diffrent then i give it to him he is

an 8 sec 1/4 would require a 170+ run with almost 0 reaction time and the eclipse v6 is kind of weak in comparison to the 4g engines maybe a high 10 if he turboed it but third gens are heavy awkward and feminine to put it bluntly

That is the way those cars should have come stock.

The evo 8 mivec head bolts up to the 2.4l block that comes in 3gs stock for some fwd goodness.

Wow thats pretty sweet. I agree the 3rd gens should have came like the 1g/2g. They definitely turned it into a chick car. The guy could have saved some time and money and bought a dsm LOL. Pretty sweet car none the less, minus lambo doors, but to each his own.

Is there that big of a power difference between a evo 8 motor and the 4G63?

Is there that big of a power difference between a evo 8 motor and the 4G63?

evo 8 motor is a 4g63 1g's are rated at 190 ; 2g's 210 and evo's 284?? some one correct me if im wrong.
Also evo's come with 16g where the 2g has a t25 ; 5speed 1g 14b ; auto 1g 13b or 13g not sure what its called.

Here is the main list of parts needed to do the 4G63 AWD conversion on a 3G:

The 3G comes with the option of a 2.4L 7-bolt 4G64 engine that can be used for the conversion. Otherwise, an Evo 4G63 engine will drop in. I believe the 4G64 motor mounts are used. As well, you can use a 2002 Kia Optima 4G64 2.4L block, but I believe that the bellhousing mounting tabs are different than the Evo 8 -- I know that they are different than the 4G63 AWD bellhousing for a DSM as there is one less mounting point for the bellhousing and the dowel location is different.

For the AWD swap after install of the 4G63 (or 4G64/evo 8 head turbo setup):
2G rear subframe
2G Control Arms
2G Rear Axles
2G Gas tank
2G Diff Plate
2G Diff Hub
2G E-brakes
Evo 8 Trany
Evo 8 Transfer case
Evo 8 Drive Shaft
Evo 8 Front Axles
Evo 8 Front Knuckles
Evo 8 Rear Diff
Evo 8 Oil pan
Evo 8 Starter
Evo 8 Brakes
Evo 8 FlyWheel
Evo 8 Clutch
Evo 8 Clutch Slave

Of course more will be required than just these parts.

There was a 3G AWD Evo 8-powered Eclipse that was made in Milwaukee a few years ago that was blue and ricey. I didn't think it was this one though....maybe it was.

As well, the same thing can be done with the mid 90's mitsubishi mirage/lancer bodies by using Evo 8 stuff and 2G stuff.

evo 8 motor is a 4g63 1g's are rated at 190 ; 2g's 210 and evo's 284?? some one correct me if im wrong.
Also evo's come with 16g where the 2g has a t25 ; 5speed 1g 14b ; auto 1g 13b or 13g not sure what its called.

So the only main difference (power wise) is the turbo? Did they do any kind of work to the head (such as more aggressive camshafts?)

so theres a kid running around 37 claiming he has a evo 8 engine in his 3rd gen.
Beening as i have never heard of this i dont know if its true or not wont pop his hood.
So my question is is this a possable swap i know anything is possable with enoug money but this kids in collage i dont think he has the cash to custom fab shit
Ask him to take you for a ride, or line him up with your car sometime. You'll know right away. :thumb:

wonder if that car has the whole evo 2.0 bottom end in it or if its a 2.4 with the evo head

Dont qoute me on this but I think its the 2.4 with the Evo head, I remember reading this when I first seen the car on the web. I have been trying to find the write up again that he did about his whole swap.. On that link I posted befor, in his mod section it just says evo this and that, but not saying its the motor..Ill keep looking tho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back