The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 8 ECU In 2g Works!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks man, im on SD as well.

i realized that after i posted and sent the email LOL. but you should have it. Hell, it might be easier just to change some of the other info then and use that rom... (check the tephra stuff, i might have launch maps with antilag on...i really dont remember its been a while since ive looked at it or driven that car)

Yeah i just copied and pasted over all the front and rear O2 tables to my rom. Ill test it out in the morn. Need to dig up one of my old attempts and compare to see whats different.

So, using the 2D SD ROM, I applied the 3 "jitter fixes" by changing the default values to the suggested ones. HUGE difference. The stuttering around 2k is just about completely gone. Maybe 2-3% of the time around that RPM range there will be an extremely slight jitter, but nearly imperceptible. Much better.

So this is a little off the wall but i figured some of you 2g guys might have either looked into it or it might spark some interest to look into it.

So with evoscan being released for android here soon, the thought of having a tablet in the car displaying all the data i need is awesome. Essentially as it sits with evoscan we can pretty much ditch the stock cluster minus two things. Oil Pressure, and Fuel Level. Oil pressure i think is an easy one to deal with just use a linear 0-5v sender and wire it up to an open ADC (similar to a wideband).

The second is fuel level. While i have read a thread or two on this (and maybe this is covered for the 2g guys but not the 1g) we have nothing wired to the level sensor inputs on the ecu. And i see nothing for fuel level in the evoscan logging options although im pretty sure Mr.Fred pointed out on evom that Mutt88 was fuel level raw.

Any ideas? Would be pretty slick to ditch the stock cluster if possible.

I just got done doing the Evo 8 ECU swap, along with my 16g and I'm ready to get my Talon back on the road. I already scaled my injectors/maf, changed the knock multiplier, etc. Question though; what are you all using as your initial boost setting after the swap? I looked through the thread and didn't see any mention of it, so I figured I'd ask. I was running 14psi before I swapped, so what should I start my 16g at with the Evo ECU? I know Evos run ~18psi stock, but my head tells me not to just ramp up the boost and hope for the best, LOL. However, we don't start tuning at waste-gate, and likewise Evos don't start tuning at 12psi, so where is everyone kicking off at? Looking forward to tuning this beast, mods in profile. Thanks for your input! :)

I just got done doing the Evo 8 ECU swap, along with my 16g and I'm ready to get my Talon back on the road. I already scaled my injectors/maf, changed the knock multiplier, etc. Question though; what are you all using as your initial boost setting after the swap? I looked through the thread and didn't see any mention of it, so I figured I'd ask. I was running 14psi before I swapped, so what should I start my 16g at with the Evo ECU? I know Evos run ~18psi stock, but my head tells me not to just ramp up the boost and hope for the best, LOL. However, we don't start tuning at waste-gate, and likewise Evos don't start tuning at 12psi, so where is everyone kicking off at? Looking forward to tuning this beast, mods in profile. Thanks for your input! :)

I've ran 23-25psi on stock evo timing and fuel maps with no issues, but my fuel system was up to it. and obv those are the base maps i use for all my cars. The only 'issue' is for me they were really rich under load.

I've ran 23-25psi on stock evo timing and fuel maps with no issues, but my fuel system was up to it. and obv those are the base maps i use for all my cars. The only 'issue' is for me they were really rich under load.

Thank you so much for the response! I don't want to come off as dense; I've read, and read, and read, but I just want to be 100% sure. I'll try to start out at ~18psi then and adjusting assuming I don't get any knock. I figured it'd be best to start around what Evos run stock, but I didn't want to end up with pieces of my motor flying about. ROFL

I'm starting off with the Maf Scalings Knochgoon24 posted in another thread, though I recall people were planning to make a 2g MAF master scaling, so we all ran the same thing. Did that ever come about? Also, what ever came of the coil charge times? What ROMs are everyone using these days (MAF and SD)? Having been running the Evo ECU for some time now, any tips for us new swappers?

I hate to ask so many questions, but the info in this thread is not only strewn across 100 pages (as well as multiple threads), but most of it is at least over a year old now. I'm sure people have changed a few things here and there. I'd like to get everything condensed down into something manageable if possible. I truly appreciate the help and any responses. Thank you all in advance.

Thank you so much for the response! I don't want to come off as dense; I've read, and read, and read, but I just want to be 100% sure. I'll try to start out at ~18psi then and adjusting assuming I don't get any knock. I figured it'd be best to start around what Evos run stock, but I didn't want to end up with pieces of my motor flying about. ROFL

I'm starting off with the Maf Scalings Knochgoon24 posted in another thread, though I recall people were planning to make a 2g MAF master scaling, so we all ran the same thing. Did that ever come about? Also, what ever came of the coil charge times? What ROMs are everyone using these days (MAF and SD)? Having been running the Evo ECU for some time now, any tips for us new swappers?

I hate to ask so many questions, but the info in this thread is not only strewn across 100 pages (as well as multiple threads), but most of it is at least over a year old now. I'm sure people have changed a few things here and there. I'd like to get everything condensed down into something manageable if possible. I truly appreciate the help and any responses. Thank you all in advance.

Your right, the info in this thread while is nice, its not organized at all and can get confusing finding specific things.

When I was using the MAF, i used the settings from Knochgoon24 as well and didnt have any issues. When i switched to SD i used all evo values and tuned from there. you can transfer the 2g maf settings to try and keep your tune but i wouldn't.

I know a few people have started using the SD 2.0 maps, but im still on the standard 9653 SD rom. (ive only ever used the 9653 tephra v7 roms, tried others but never worked as well)

The coil charge times, I always change them but other people dont, so thats up to you. I feel better knowing they are adjusted for the dsm coils, but others dont care. The dsm ignition system is stronger than the evo's so I'd say change em.

Id also say look around for other mods for the roms that would make your setup easier/better/more efficient. I love the 'wideband controlled ltft' mod. setting up the NLTS was also extremely easy and is awesome ( i pulled the clutch signal from the cruise control ecu on the passenger side since it was easier to get to) and theres lots more. I know they just released the FlexFuel patch/mod for the evo ecu and there plenty more that could make your specific setup better.

I am interested in doing the Evo 8 swap in my 96 GSX (auto), and I came across the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO8 FQ300 ECU [PART NUMBER: MR580728]. As anyone used this ECU version, or is it compatible?

Does it look something like this, or do you not have it yet... http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270838693532 If the part number is correct then done buy it. it will do you absolutely no good. Evos have separate ECU's for the Auto Trans/Engine/and Center diff, like the DSM with the separate ENG/Trans ECU's. Far as i can tell the part number you gave is the center diff ECU and will do nothing for the engine...

Does it look something like this, or do you not have it yet... http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270838693532 If the part number is correct then done buy it. it will do you absolutely no good. Evos have separate ECU's for the Auto Trans/Engine/and Center diff, like the DSM with the separate ENG/Trans ECU's. Far as i can tell the part number you gave is the center diff ECU and will do nothing for the engine...

Thanks for that, and I noticed that shortly after I posted that it was the incorrect ECU. Thankfully, I was able to find one over on the evom forums for $75. So I lucked out big time. Can't wait to install this sucker. I'm seriously going back and forth about getting the extension harness... but cant justify spending 145 bucks on one... decisions, decisions, decisions...

I just don't see the harness being worth it. Do you plan to swap it around a lot? Do you really care that your modifying a harness on a 13+ year old car? If you use the correct tools (aka a very small pick or precision flat head screw driver or any actual pin removal tool) the job is super easy and takes only 30 mins tops. Just remember, do not force the pins out. label the wires before you remove them and make sure to have the pin out diagram oriented correctly. You can even search and find the wire colors to help verify you have the pin-out and your position in the harness correct.

To be honest, if you not ready to invest the time swapping some pins, you are going to be in for a rude awaking when you find out how much time you will invest in this swap and learning all the tricks from the EVO ecu and all the time required to get your tune perfect.

I have had mine in for over 4 years and still can't claim to be a master at the EVO ecu (but I'm pretty damn good). Needless to say, I have invested alot of time into it. Not because I wanted to save money (DSMLink would have been way cheaper if you think about what an 'hour' of your life is worth to you, even if you make minimum wage) but because I wanted to have some fun.

So rip out the dash cover, and get those pins swapped! Save the $150 for some donations to Tephra for making a bad ass ROM (you are going to donate, right?) and some new goodies like the GM BCS, MAP sensors and IAT sensors :sneaky:

PS: there are lots of youTube videos on how to swap pins on this ECU.

Ok so i dont think its been asked before but uve not read through all the pages but pretty sure its not been brought up yet,

me and my evo 3 friend was chatting the other week and we got talking about ecu's and what we are both running etc, he is using an evo 6 ecu and i was like huh, told him we just unlocked the evo 8 ecu for our cars then he said why not use the evo 6 like i am, remember he is an evo 3 not an eclipse.

So why cant we use a 6 ecu??? He said its got the same plugs as the 8 and has way WAY more things on it to do and adjust and is the best ecu out of the lot of them, basically said "IT HAS MORE TOYS" but i dont know what the 8 ecu has so thats why i am bringing this up!

You can use one if you'd like, but you'll need to use an OP 2.0 cable, just like with the 98-99 DSM ECU. It's basically the same ECU as the 98-99, just with a different ROM image from the factory.

Also, there is definitely not more development for the Evo 6 ECU. Ever heard of Tephra?

You can use one if you'd like, but you'll need to use an OP 2.0 cable, just like with the 98-99 DSM ECU. It's basically the same ECU as the 98-99, just with a different ROM image from the factory.

Also, there is definitely not more development for the Evo 6 ECU. Ever heard of Tephra?

Nope never heard of that! What is it.

And if its not better then the 8 then why would he say most choose that over the 7-8 ecus? I might ask him when i see him next but he might know something we dont

i would be kindof interested in doing this swap, but something else ive been thinking of is the evo x ecu, because with it you can in theory easily use cobb access port to flash maps to the ecu at the press of a button and no long wire going to the obd port, and no laptop. thats my view anyways, but keep up the good work rre!

i would be kindof interested in doing this swap, but something else ive been thinking of is the evo x ecu, because with it you can in theory easily use cobb access port to flash maps to the ecu at the press of a button and no long wire going to the obd port, and no laptop. thats my view anyways, but keep up the good work rre!

The only benefit of the access port would be no laptop. Other than that you would still have the cable running from the access port to the obd2. Sorry nothing wireless for flashing a ROM to the ecu yet, not that I am aware of anyway...There are a couple of wireless logging options though. Besides the amount of work you would have to do to wire in the X ecu would bring you no profit. Not as many cool functions with the access port as with Tephra mods. Even using Tephra mods on the X ECU wouldn't be all that. You cant even use some of the functionality of the X ECU in an Eclipse. I am not even sure they have SD for the X yet.

Can someone repost the pics, especially from the maf scaling needed for this. It is missing in the first post.

Holy massive page count, Batman! I read (almost) all of this, searched a lot and still have some questions.

I picked up a 2001 Eclipse 2.4 MT ecu in the junk yard for running in my 99 GST. I read that there are some pins missing but can't find solid info on what they are. Looks like the wastegate solenoid and IC sprayer but I'm not sure what else. The knock sensor works, right? I'll just need to learn how to flash the Evo ROM onto it and do the Evo style rewire?

Also, yes I've got a 99 reflashable ECU but Ceddy stopped working on his stuff ages ago. I'd like the newer ECU with better support.

I also have a comment on wiring. A few guys were talking about wiring SD sensors in and grounding the IAT sensor to the engine. It is a bad idea to ground any sensors outside of the sensor ground wiring circuit. You could introduce noise to the sensor system and get bad readings. It is better to tie back in to the sensor ground system.

I'm planning on doing the evo ECU swap this weekend on my 95 GST. Can and one tell me if I'll need to change the firing order and injector order?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back