The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

evo 4 block with 2g head? RWD set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95twinturboawd

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2009
jackson, Michigan
as you see looks like i can get a great deal on a jdm evo4 engine($750) friend of a friend thing. but in my swap i need to use a 2g head to put the turbo on the pass side of the car.
1st will it work do i need to worry about piston to valve clearance?
2nd timing parts, cam gears and so on?
3rd anything else i should be worryed about

thanks for thinking the time

i think that would be the same as putting a 2g head on a 1g block. (7bolt head on 6 bolt block) you need to reem the head bolt holes and you are good to go. 6bolts had slightly larger diameter head bolts)

evo 4 is 7 bolt from what i understand? is it the bad 7 bolts? (aka 95-97dsm) evo 4 was built 96-98 i cant seem to fine rock solid info.

its not a life or death thing. ive got 2 95 7-bolt motors and neither have walked. i would say to not put a huge clamping force clutch on it and run good oil/filter. in the DSM world the 99 7-bolt was also revised. dunno what year the evo got that change.

Are you going to make a plate for the passengers engine mount? From I remember the DSM block doesn't have the provisions to accept the engine mount, a plate has to be made, and engine mount bolted to that. Evo 4 block, never seen in person so don't have anything to go by. It's the reason most rwd setups use the 6 bolt block, the front engine mount provisions are used as passenger mount provisions in rwd.

I know it's a 7 bolt so studs shouldn't be a problem, but not sure if the oil ports line up properly. I'd look at both head gaskets and see if they match.

Answer to your 3rd question (and biggest problem): This combo won't work, Evo 1-3 had all timing components on the same side as a DSM, but Evo 4-9 were all flipped around. Basically your cam gears (at the top of the motor) would be on the opposite side of the crank pulley, etc. and nothing would be in time. The solution would be to top it off with an Evo 4-8 head.

There is a build thread on here where a guy has put Evo 5+ heads in his dsm,
The head is flipped so the cover cover logo is backwards but all the timing stuff is correct.
It's the same thing. It will work.

Answer to your 3rd question (and biggest problem): This combo won't work, Evo 1-3 had all timing components on the same side as a DSM, but Evo 4-9 were all flipped around. Basically your cam gears (at the top of the motor) would be on the opposite side of the crank pulley, etc. and nothing would be in time. The solution would be to top it off with an Evo 4-8 head.

Like SaulHudson said, this is a myth that has been proven wrong, someone on here is running a MIVEC evo IX head right now in a dsm.

There is a build thread on here where a guy has put Evo 5+ heads in his dsm,
The head is flipped so the cover cover logo is backwards but all the timing stuff is correct.
It's the same thing. It will work.

The timing stuff is on the correct side but then the intake and exhaust end up reversed. The guy that did it has a gallant, the turbo is between the motor and the firewall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back