The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO 3 internals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbakias

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2019
Nea Artaki Greece, Europe
Hi guys,

a friend of mine has a new set of piston and rods. I was wondering can be installed in eclipse 1g 6bolt engine?

if cant be installed is there any evo engine internals that can be installed?

because i have difficulty finding for eclipse in Greece.

The Evo III engine is a 7 bolt so really only the pistons can be used. The 7 bolt uses a 22mm wrist pin vs the 6 bolts 21mm, so in order to use 7 bolt pistons on a 6 bolt rod the small end will need to be bored.

What parts exactly are you looking for? I have some spare 6 bolt parts (2 conrods and 2 N/A pistons in good shape), there is also a full 6 bolt longblock for sale here for 175 euros which you can have shipped to you.

Hi guys,

a friend of mine has a new set of piston and rods. I was wondering can be installed in eclipse 1g 6bolt engine?

if cant be installed is there any evo engine internals that can be installed?

because i have difficulty finding for eclipse in Greece.
Yes, you can use the EVO 3 pistons with enlarging the small end diameter to 22mm as already mentioned above and shave down the small end width a little bit to clear the clearance, if necessary. But I recommend to stay away from the EVO 3 stock pistons. In Japan, they are very well known as problematic. Their ring lands easily get failed even with stock level low boost.

Evo 3 pistons are some of the weakest 4G63 pistons there are - the ring lands fail pretty easily with power; typically, Evo 3s don't go much past 300whp without a failure. Literally any 6 bolt setup is better.

Hi thanks for replies.

i forgot to mention that i am looking for forged pistons and rods.

If you ask me why i dont buy the parts designed for my engine is because i cant find pistons and rods for my engine in Greece and i try to avoid usa due to a lot custom fees.

i can only find pistons and rods for evo 6-10 .

If you know any shop in europe that i can find them it will be awesome because i want to avoid chinese brands as i am building my car to last...

What parts exactly are you looking for? I have some spare 6 bolt parts (2 conrods and 2 N/A pistons in good shape), there is also a full 6 bolt longblock for sale here for 175 euros which you can have shipped to you.

Where is your location?

i am looking for forged pistons and rods for 4g63 turbo engine. And some other aftermarket parts.

Have you checked the block u r sellling if its ok? Also stock size right?

Where is your location?

i am looking for forged pistons and rods for 4g63 turbo engine. And some other aftermarket parts.

Have you checked the block u r sellling if its ok? Also stock size right?

In that case, you'd be better off buying new, from shops based in the USA. The block for sale isn't mine, I just checked some ads online in my country and saw a full 6 bolt block, but it's used and nobody can guarantee if it's 100% in good shape. Also, unless you're going to push incredible horsepower numbers, the stock 6 bolt rods will be more than enough. So really, the only thing you'd need to buy from overseas is a new set of 6 bolt turbo pistons.

If I'm not mistaken, Evo 4-9 engine internals, at least pistons and rods, will be the same and usable for an Evo 3 motor if it's a 7 bolt. The Evo 4-9 engine is still a 7 bolt 4g63, just flipped to face the opposite frame side, with a slightly different bellhousing pattern and different cylinder head.

Rods, pistons, and bearings should all be usable in a 7bolt 4g63. Only small difference would be the valve reliefs in the pistons will be in the wrong sides.

The correct way to look for them would be for 95-99 eclipse turbo parts, but that may not work in Greece.

I don't see buying a 6 bolt from the states being any cheaper than getting the correct parts that you need, all things considered.

If I'm not mistaken, Evo 4-9 engine internals, at least pistons and rods, will be the same and usable for an Evo 3 motor if it's a 7 bolt. The Evo 4-9 engine is still a 7 bolt 4g63, just flipped to face the opposite frame side, with a slightly different bellhousing pattern and different cylinder head.

Rods, pistons, and bearings should all be usable in a 7bolt 4g63. Only small difference would be the valve reliefs in the pistons will be in the wrong sides.

The correct way to look for them would be for 95-99 eclipse turbo parts, but that may not work in Greece.

I don't see buying a 6 bolt from the states being any cheaper than getting the correct parts that you need, all things considered.
Yes and the crank, too. Only using the EVO 4-9 pistons in a DSM/GVR4/EVO1-3 is a little bit tricky with the piston to valve clearance and the thrust side is different between the EVO 1-3 4g63 and the EVO 4-9 4g63. So if the piston skirt is asymmetrical which has different skirt area, in a DSM the larger skirt side would be on the exhaust side but in a EVO 4-9 would be on the intake side.

I can imagine in Europe it's difficult to import the parts from outside since the customs would charge really high tax. Once I bought something from Greece, they charged almost 17% even to export!! OMG

In that case, you'd be better off buying new, from shops based in the USA. The block for sale isn't mine, I just checked some ads online in my country and saw a full 6 bolt block, but it's used and nobody can guarantee if it's 100% in good shape. Also, unless you're going to push incredible horsepower numbers, the stock 6 bolt rods will be more than enough. So really, the only thing you'd need to buy from overseas is a new set of 6 bolt turbo pistons.

Insee i thought you were somewhere in Europe. As i see it it will cost me way too much to buy the block from states as the shipping cost and customs will be the price of the car....

In this case i will try to find a set of forged pistons and rods as i am planning to run 550-600 hp.

Yes and the crank, too. Only using the EVO 4-9 pistons in a DSM/GVR4/EVO1-3 is a little bit tricky with the piston to valve clearance and the thrust side is different between the EVO 1-3 4g63 and the EVO 4-9 4g63. So if the piston skirt is asymmetrical which has different skirt area, in a DSM the larger skirt side would be on the exhaust side but in a EVO 4-9 would be on the intake side.

I can imagine in Europe it's difficult to import the parts from outside since the customs would charge really high tax. Once I bought something from Greece, they charged almost 17% even to export!! OMG

its first time in history i have see someone buying parts from greece everytime is happening the opposite.

Insee i thought you were somewhere in Europe. As i see it it will cost me way too much to buy the block from states as the shipping cost and customs will be the price of the car...

Lol, friend, I'm from Bulgaria which as far as I remember borders Greece :cry: I have even written it as my location under my profile. My idea was, if you want a new block and internals, it would be way cheaper to buy it from countries closer to you (Greece), such as Bulgaria. Once I had a huge problem finding a replacement turbo clutch kit and pistons/rods for my car and I really couldn't afford to order from the States, so I got lucky and found a used set of rods and pistons here locally (N/A) and an almost brand new clutch kit from a friend.

If you have the money, order everything new from the States. But if you're like me and can't spend tons of money on the car all the time, you need to research the market, both locally (in Greece) and throughout Europe. Good luck.

Ohh i see we are neighbors!!! Is there any shop i can find pistons and rods forged in Bulgaria?

Hi guys

i was looking extremepsi website for rods and pistons. I saw that for 6 bolt engines they offer 21mm and 22mm pin rod diameter and also there is a variety in lengths. How do i know which one fits my engine which is 6 bolt?

also looking in the web some state that evo rods can fit 6 bolt block without any problem. I read some owners have installed forged pistons and rods from evo 8 to eclipse 6 bolt engine.

Hi guys

i was looking extremepsi website for rods and pistons. I saw that for 6 bolt engines they offer 21mm and 22mm pin rod diameter and also there is a variety in lengths. How do i know which one fits my engine which is 6 bolt?

also looking in the web some state that evo rods can fit 6 bolt block without any problem. I read some owners have installed forged pistons and rods from evo 8 to eclipse 6 bolt engine.
As for the wrist pin diameter. It's just if you use the rods with 22mm, it allows you to use 7 bolt or EVO pistons which have 22mm pin diameter. 1mm larger so a bit heavier but you get more strength and have more choices for the pistons.
As for the length. Assuming you have a 88mm crankshaft, if you want a standard 2.0 then would be 150mm length rods and 1.37" pin height pistons. If you want a 2.0 long rod, 156mm and 1.13" pin height pistons.

Rods are different on the big end between 6 bolt or 7 bolt, the 6 bolt rod is thicker. For a 6 bolt engine, you have to use 6 bolt specific rods. The wrist pin bore is smaller at 21mm on stock 6 bolt rods though compared to the 22mm wrist pins all 7 bolts use. There are vendors that offer 6 bolt rods with 22mm wrist pins, as you found. The length of all stock rods is 150mm. One of the more popular variations when rebuilding and staying at 2.0L displacement is using a longer 156mm rod and installing pistons with a 6mm lower compression height, like are used in a 2.3L stroker engine. This gives a better rod to stroke ratio and side-loads the pistons on the cylinder wall a little less. Which is beneficial for frequent high rpm use.

Hiroshi posted as I was typing.

Thanks Zack and Hiroshi for answering you were very straight.

to conclude so far. There are different variations of piston rods and it depends from the target someone wants.

In my case where i am replacing stock pistons and rods i will be able to use 7 bolt rods if i use seven bolt. Pistons to match the pin diameter and if i want to stay with 6 pin rods then i will buy 21mm rods with the match piston.
Am i correct?

i will be able to use 7 bolt rods if i use seven bolt.
I think you are confused. As you stated that your engine is a 6 bolt, so if you would buy a set of rod, you would have to buy rods for a 6 bolt block.
If your engine was a 7 bolt "block", you would have to use 7 bolt rods.

if i want to stay with 6 pin rods then i will buy 21mm rods with the match piston.
Am i correct?
If you want to use your "stock" 6 bolt rods, you will need pistons that come with 21mm wrist pins. You can use pistons that come with 22mm but you will need to machine to enlarge your 6 bolt rod's small end for using 22mm wrist pin, so you will have more work. If you don't exactly need to go with forged pistons and if your stock 6 bolt rods are in good working condition then get a set of NPR 6 bolt pistons. That would be the cheapest way.
If you would buy some aftermarket rods for a 6 bolt block, you would have 2 choices for the pin, 21mm or 22mm. You can choose it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back