The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 3 1st and 5th gears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSM

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
I am doing a major overhaul on a 97 GSX I bought form a guy in Michigan just over a year ago. It was only supposed to take a few months but both me and my friend who owns a performance shop here in Phoenix, AZ have had so much going on that we are just now nearing the end of the build! Here's the issue I'm having, does anybody know of any place that is still offering the Evo 3 1st and 5th gears and also the input shaft? I have found a few places that offer the gears but nobody has the input shaft, which I would have to have. Apparently Mitsubishi no longer makes the shaft, my typical effin luck......does anybody know of a company that makes or has the shaft for sale? Or does anybody know of someone who is parting out an Evo 3 or just the tranny or even parting out a DSM or DSM tranny that already has those gears and the input shaft?

Just FYI, if somebody just has the input shaft, I can get the gear replacements elsewhere, please let me know if just the shaft is available for sale! Also, just in case it comes up somehow, 1st gear with the input shaft is more important for me than 5th gear, just in case that's all that is available. Not having to shift into 2nd quite so fast is much more important to me than lower cruising RPM's......but the whole package would be great!

I'm really hoping somebody can help me with this! I have been a DSM guy for a really long time! I'm 39 now and I got this 97 GSX because my first car was a 97 RS......until I learned about turbos and traded it in for a 97 GSX! I also had a 91 Talon TSI but to be honest, it was beat to hell. We called it the sh*t box! It was so bad and I got so sick of the problems that one day I got bored and ripped out the engine and parted everything out! I haven't had a DSM since then, roughly 15 years, so I can't tell how how much I am looking forward to my new one being finished! This Evo gears thing is causing a bit of a hefty delay though, please help me with this so I can get back to driving a DSM!!! Thanks ahead of time!

There is a long line for 5th gears, they've been gone for at least half a decade. TMZ cleared out the last 1st gear/input shaft combos a few years ago, too. The best way to get these pieces is to pay whatever it takes and be first to act the moment they come up, or overpay for a transmission core if one comes up anywhere in the world. The last 5th gear and the last input shaft/1st gear pairing I saw were listed at $700 each. Just stay with the shorter 5th at that price.

That ship has sailed long ago as was already mentioned, good luck finding this stuff these days unless Mitsubishi decides to use those parts in a newer modern transmission.

As @Canadian_CD9A and @motomattx said above, that would be a difficult challenge if you are looking for new parts. You may find used parts but also getting harder and harder to find. I still regularly find used EVO 2-3 transmissions in Japan but to ship it to the States would cost much. and this topic is recently discussed often here and in many facebook groups, so the pricing for used unit also getting higher and higher each time I find. I know some EVO shops in Japan are keeping used parts as spare. They may sell it unless you mind used parts. If you PM me, maybe I can help you since you are in AZ.

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for taking so long for me to reply, I have been insanely busy, I seriously have hardly had time to stop and make a phone call! Well this friggin sucks.....I cant believe that nobody makes any aftermarket input shafts given the demand, I mean I realize it's not a huge market since DSM's are getting to be old cars now, but I know if I had a company that was already making similar parts for other vehicle transmissions, I sure as hell would make the Evo 3 input shafts on the side cause you know damn well they would sell! How is it that people don't realize this?? Companies that make transmission parts are trying to make money right? Where's the friggin problem with making those??! I don't know, just doesn't make any sense to me. I might just be S.O.L. cause this is a bit of a time sensitive issue, my transmission is currently at a guys house who is rebuilding it for me and the Eclipse is in my friends shop, unfortunately I don't have any longer than maybe a week or two to find these parts before everything starts getting put back together. Being as I have already dumped roughly 25K into this build, I would really rather not have to pay to have the tranny pulled and torn down and rebuilt again and put back on again if I'm able to find the parts in the future......it's really more of a now or nothing deal. This effin sucks....I don't suppose anybody knows of any other vehicles with 1st and 5th gears that would not only work in the DSM tranny but would be longer gears that people have used? Are there any actual aftermarket DSM gears that anybody makes that also aren't pieces of crap or cost a buttload? I'm up for any good ideas at this point!

I hate to tell you, but while you were sleeping, the Evo 5th gear Christmas Fairy came and went.
It was up for less than 2 hours.
I took the ad down at 8am after it sold.
Gotta keep your eyes open at all times in all of your places for those rare gems.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hate to tell you, but while you were sleeping, the Evo 5th gear Christmas Fairy came and went.
It was up for less than 2 hours.
I took the ad down at 8am after it sold.
Gotta keep your eyes open at all times in all of your places for those rare gems.
Was it the Benstian post?

Keep an eye on the classifieds......

I have the evo 3 1st in my trans now and a brand new one on the shelf just in case. Could have gotten the 5th but didn't care to.
Understandable, I want the 5th gear as well only because I will be driving my DSM most of the time. The lower RPM 5th would be great on the freeways! Well if you have a spare input shaft as well and you ever decide to part with them, let me know!

I swear, I don't know why the hell I even try. Spent the last couple of days before yesterday checking in on the classifieds every couple hours, but there was nothing. Then yesterday I get slammed with things that I have to get done and don't have time to check on here and big effin surprise, someone else posts an add selling 1st gear w/ input. I wasn't able to look on here and see the add and message the guy until just about 15 minutes ago. I'll be amazed if it's not already gone. Like I said, I don't know why I even try. I seriously have the worst friggin luck.

If your looking for old evo parts then it come down to look else were ,like were the cars were most imported. This guy ships world wide and parts them out. So if it is a must have item then open your facebook and reach out.

^^he doesn't sell transmission pieces, only whole cores. And he's in the UK, so shipping will be priced accordingly.

Plus the currency exchange diffrence. I wouldn't expect any body to break down a perfectly good transmission to sell for parts . But when push comes to shove and you must have ,you have to wiegh your options with what's available nowadays.

I'm forced to no more than 450 ft pounds and a 8k rpm limit, till I get dogbox. My current trans is a hd setup. So you have to know the limits of what you have and tune accordingly till better parts are with in reach.

I'm forced to no more than 450 ft pounds and a 8k rpm limit, till I get dogbox. My current trans is a hd setup. So you have to know the limits of what you have and tune accordingly till better parts are with in reach.
I appreciate the info, weather it works out or not, the more info I get the better.....at least until I find the parts! And yes, the search continues because the input shaft splines were twisted. It would have been fine if Ibwas keeping the mods fairly low, but were shooting for at least 600hp with this build, 600hp and AWD spells disaster for an already tweaked input shaft, no matter how mild it is right now. The reward just wasn't worth the risk with that one unfortunately. I will keep looking!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back