The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

evo 3 16g vs new fp 18g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It will flow more than the evo3 16g because the turbine is bigger and the compressor is bigger, but w/out the lag of a 20g. It's that simple.

It will be easier to achieve your goals on pump gas w/ the higher flowing compressor vs. revving an evo3 16g compressor to high rpms to reach the same flow potential. More importantly, it will make your goals easier because the higher flowing turbine will yield more hp per psi than the evo3 16g at boost levels neccesary for 380-420 hp. There's no need to overrev a 16g turbo to do waht an 18g can do much easier. And this "new" td06 turbine wheel looks to spool very quick for it's flow. Which means great street manners for a turbo that is *properly* sized for a 400hp goal.

You can easily get to 380whp with a 16g.

Just because several have done it, does not mean that it is easy. The evo3 16g is completely tapped out at that point. This means lots of hot air to tune around and no pump gas. As I've mentioned, now more than ever (since the price is so affordable), there's no need to overrev a poor little evo3 16g, when you can use a properly sized bolt-on turbo for a 380-420 hp goal.

Robert at FP has not answered the wet or dry chra question yet. The other FP18g chras are not watercooled. My old td05h 18g did great and the next owner ran his hard and long. No reliability issues though having no water lines.

Here's the vendor announcement about this turbo: Forced Performance TD06SL2 18G Debut.

I have a tdo5h 18g and it IS watercooled. I would be suprised if a Mitsu turbo wasn't.

well i decided to try out the fp18g, just finished my order. ill let you guys know how it is once my car is running again.

It should feel much more powerful than the evo3 in the higher rpms according to the comp maps, 22-28psi should rock on this thing. Im curious on some of the actual dyno numbers... If i ever need to upgrade from my evo3 this would probably be an option.

I have a tdo5h 18g and it IS watercooled. I would be suprised if a Mitsu turbo wasn't.

There are mitsu turbo's that are not watercooled... some big16's and 18g's come in dry housings.

uh no, pickup a non-turbo water pipe that has no water lines on it, this would be a much cleaner install.

Im still waiting on a reply to my email, so if anyone picks up a fp18g and finds out if its watercooled or not, post it up.

Sure there is. It's fun. ;)

HA! yea, that characteristic hard hit is so hard to let go! It truely is an exciting turbo.

I'm not knocking an evo3 16g. I just think it should be saved and used for what it does best: a reliable 350whp where everything else may be stretched but not broken anyway. The price is right for a fun turbo. . . So is this 18g. I really want one too. I've got a holset project going now though. . .

So would anybody say it would be worth it to sell the hrc super 16g i have now to buy a fp18g or upgrade the super to a 20g. Or just wait to go gtk-650?

I wouldn't "upgrade" from a 16g to an 18g. They're pretty damn near the same turbo. If I had a tdo5h 16g car, I would upgrade to a tdo6 20g. I'm running a tdo5h 18g right now, and I'll probably upgrade to an HX40. If you're gonna upgrade, make sure you're gaining enough performance to warrant the price. I'm sure the FP18g is going to be a great turbo, and I wish it was available when I got my 18g - but it's gonna face the same problem that the 18g always has. It's in the middle step of the 16g and 20g, that everyone usually steps over.:(

I wouldn't "upgrade" from a 16g to an 18g. They're pretty damn near the same turbo. If I had a tdo5h 16g car, I would upgrade to a tdo6 20g. I'm running a tdo5h 18g right now, and I'll probably upgrade to an HX40. If you're gonna upgrade, make sure you're gaining enough performance to warrant the price. I'm sure the FP18g is going to be a great turbo, and I wish it was available when I got my 18g - but it's gonna face the same problem that the 18g always has. It's in the middle step of the 16g and 20g, that everyone usually steps over.:(

They are 'the same turbo' to you because you're running the same hotside as a 16g. . .

The 20g can go as far as a 50 trim . . . It has been proven. An 18g can go much farther than an td05h turbine wheel will allow. The difference between a evo3 16g and a 50trim/20g is quite large. The 18g compressor fills the gap. "Now" there's a turbine wheel that can flow enough for an 18g but not be so laggy. The gap is larger than you think.

I have defendable issues w/ FP, BUT they have really done a good job here. It's a fair price for a much better turbo than a evo3 16g w/out the lag of a 20g. I wish I had gotten my old tdo5h 18g clipped. I would have likely never sold it. . . I would have just swapped in this tdo6sl2 wheel into it. I'll likely be giving them yet another order.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back