The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 3 16G "GT"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RU2SLOW? said:
I didn't start this thread to bash any vendors or to cause any hard feelings, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in what I'm reading. Before I started this thread last night I e-mailed The Speed Factor and here is what my email said:

Remember he said that's how they were marketed to them.

Now that some vendors have done their research they realize they are totally different.

L2RTSiAWD said:
Remember he said that's how they were marketed to them.

Now that some vendors have done their research they realize they are totally different.

I agree... I do not think Martin would mislead anyone intentionally unless he himself was misled....

MGH

Just to clarify, I'm not assuming that Martin was trying to pawn these turbos off. It did seem like that a bit as this whole story unfolded, but like I said before I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I have no problem with Martin or the other vendors that are selling this turbo at all. I was very disappointed, however, to learn what I learned and I felt that buyers should know you might not be told the entire truth up front- whether that's due to a lack of research by the vendor, a simple mistake, or a purposefully misleading scham. I really don't want to pass judgement, nor for anyone who reads this thread to do the same-I just want to see something done about this so that people aren't mistaken about what they're buying. Because, let's face it, there are laws in the US protecting consumers from being sold imitation parts that are advertised as if they are the real deal- whether the misadvertisement was a mistake or not.

Hey Guys,
I'm sorry to see that there was so much confusion about these turbo's. I myself was lead to beleive that these turbo's were genuine mitsu products with new covers. With that said, fortunately we have not sold any of these EVO3GT's. Again I did not intend to mislead anyone.

Best Regards,
Martin Ruiz

PS~(Mike and l2r) Thanks for the vote of confidence and RU2SLOW? sorry for the confusion. If you're interested in a genuine mitsu EVO3 16G let me know and we'll honor that price for you ;).

red91gst said:
The following are the vendors that I know sell the true E316G, please buy the real deal and buy from them, ANY of them, for you and your car's sake.

Slowboy Racing www.slowboyracing.com
Forced Performance www.forcedperformance.com
Kinetic Motorsports www.kineticmotorsports.com
Mach V www.machv.com
AMS www.automotosports.com
Road Race www.roadraceengineering.com
DSMotorsports www.diamondstarmotorsport.com
Extreme www.extrememotorsports

Pina Motorsports www.pinamotorsports.com

I don't understand why people are out there looking for an "alternative" to the Evo 16g, it's the best bang for the buck out there. One of my customer's cars made 340whp and 350ft-lbs of torque on pumpgas with a very basic setup.
Pina Motorsports 3" exhaust, ported 1G o2 housing, JR ic core, Pina Motorsports IC piping, Supra pump, aeromotive FPR, FIC 550s, 2G mas, SAFC, and the ever badass slipping Pepboys clutch. Ran a 12.36 at 113 at 25psi of boost on racegas (couldn't get the boost contoroller to cooperate above that).

I have another customer car that did 108 on pumpgas at 18psi. 2G with our exhaust and IC piping, a STOCK SMIC, 660s, and an AFC.

Properly ported with a 34mm flapper I've got them to hold 13psi without creep also.

What more do you want out of a turbo that bolts on with no denting, no new oil/water lines required, and no need for an external that is in the $570-670 range?

When you buy these you KNOW for a fact that you are getting an OEM quality piece, they come directly from MHI. Building a turbo is a bit different than making a piece of cast iron , there is no precision machining involved in casting something. Who knows what type of quality control the place making this has, I know Mitsu turbos go over 200k without problem.
You will never see turbos made in China or Brazil passing through my doors.

Martin-
Thank you for clearing things up, and for the offer- I will send you a message off of this thread in reply. I apologize if I came off harsh at first, but I was extremely frustrated and felt lied to in a sense. Now that I've had a moment to breathe and re-read through this thread I understand that you caught a bit of a raw deal and can't be blamed for that.

NDgsx-
I wasn't necessarily looking for an alternative to the E16G as much as I stumbled across 2 ads for these new "GT" turbos and became intrigued. I've been going back and forth between a E16G and a 50 trim and I thought this may be an improved version of the original E16G that may be capable of that little extra umph to split the difference between the regular E3 and the 50 trim.
It seems like you, like many other vendors and Tuners members, had really good luck with the E3 which is encouraging. I know there have been many threads about this topic, but what would you, as a confident vendor of these turbos, say is the avg whp level that is attainable on a MHI E316G on pump gas with simple bolt-ons- exhaust, injectors, pump, fmic?

RUSLOW- i understand where you are coming from bro, beleive me this came as a shock to me when this info was confirmed because our vendor had told me they were using new housings that didn't need porting or anything but failed to mention the whole turbo was not an MHI peice. Kind ofr sucks but i can understand where the misunderstanding came from.

Either way like i said non of these were sold to any of our customers.

RU2SLOW? said:
I've been going back and forth between a E16G and a 50 trim and I thought this may be an improved version of the original E16G that may be capable of that little extra umph to split the difference between the regular E3 and the 50 trim.

You mean like an 18g or 20g?

BTW, just because a 16g is MHI doesn't mean it's indestructable. They're meant for OEM use - meaning like 14psi. When you run em at 20+psi it's not gonna last very long. I trashed the thrust bearing on my small16g in about a year. I believe you can get an 18g with the 360 degree thrust bearing, not sure on any 16g though.

Well I think they did rename it, they called it a "GT" now maybe that stands for "Giant Turd" or something but I always believe you get what you pay for. So when you buy a turbo for $450 that usally goes for almost twice that its either stolen or junk. Maybe its made out of recycled bamboo and panda bears.

And the vendors thank god are doing what they should be, protecting, and informing the pool of buyers they have here on tuners. Thats what good customer service is all about.

red91gst said:
What information would you like?

We have made 400whp on the EVO and love this thing. In our opinion, it is the ONLY 16g. There souldn't be much of a decision between the three.

Nate
SBR

That is quite a hefty claim, especially without any evidence.

You'd better put something on the table before I throw the BS flag.

I just got off the phone with logic and they said that the GT will come with the same warranty as the EvoIII. They've been using one for 10k and haven't had a problem yet. So I guess we will just have to see what happens. But if this GT turbo does come with a warranty I'd like to try one. Worst case, it breaks, and I just exchange for the MHI evo. If it doesn't, I have a turbo that "might put out" slightly better numbers than the evo for a bit cheaper. Logic also said these are or "should" stand up to punishment like the MHI evo. I guess we'll have to wait until the numbers are out. ;)

kgtalon95 said:
I just got off the phone with logic and they said that the GT will come with the same warranty as the EvoIII. They've been using one for 10k and haven't had a problem yet. So I guess we will just have to see what happens. But if this GT turbo does come with a warranty I'd like to try one. Worst case, it breaks, and I just exchange for the MHI evo. If it doesn't, I have a turbo that "might put out" slightly better numbers than the evo for a bit cheaper. Logic also said these are or "should" stand up to punishment like the MHI evo. I guess we'll have to wait until the numbers are out. ;)

they do indeed come with a 1yr. warranty so it does allow you to be a little at ease, i haven't ruled them out as "junk" i just am going to wait until we get to really put one through the trenches before i pass any kind of judgement.

I just wanted to clear the air a bit after stirring up all of this commotion. I just finished having a really enjoyable conversation with Martin on AIM that lasted almost an hour. I have to say that Martin is a good guy and he came through on a legit MHI E316G for me, honoring the price of the GT like he mentioned in an above post. I know some of you all are still waiting on the GT turbos and that's cool, but I personally wanted to go for what was proven, tried and true (the MHI E3), and Martin made sure I walked away happy with just that. Essentially, I don't want people to shy away from what seems to be a bunch of good guys who do good business because of this whole misunderstanding- The Speed Factor is a quality DSM vendor that still deserves our business and support as far as I'm concerned.

hakcenter said:
Try some common sense, use the search, and stfu

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/Mitsubishi Turbos/EVO 16g/EVO16g.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141670&highlight=400whp+sbr

BS flag that shit

I should have known, stroker with massive cams and shit, it was the only possible way, but I should have known so I will eat it.

Very odd that the car with a quick spooling 16g seems to hit full boost@4500rpm. Makes one wonder if there was a 16g or any variant on the car.

In reference to the GT...

Weather its a polished turd, bling machine, Chinese Korean Crack baby welded whatever, if it has a warranty...

Run it.

coltboostin said:
I should have known, stroker with massive cams and shit, it was the only possible way, but I should have known so I will eat it.

Very odd that the car with a quick spooling 16g seems to hit full boost@4500rpm. Makes one wonder if there was a 16g or any variant on the car.

400whp on a 2.3L is the same as 400whp on a 2.0L, or a 5.0L for that matter. The point is that the turbo is capable of flowing those numbers period. The other supporting mods definitely help spoolup and whatnot, but the limiting factor will usually always be the turbo.

I don't know about you, but if you can more than double the output of your motor from a turbo that's about the same size frame as the stocker, that's saying alot! It'll be easier to set up street races, that's for sure! :laugh:

GSX_RCR said:
400whp on a 2.3L is the same as 400whp on a 2.0L, or a 5.0L for that matter. The point is that the turbo is capable of flowing those numbers period. The other supporting mods definitely help spoolup and whatnot, but the limiting factor will usually always be the turbo.

I don't know about you, but if you can more than double the output of your motor from a turbo that's about the same size frame as the stocker, that's saying alot! It'll be easier to set up street races, that's for sure! :laugh:

Cylinder pressure would be higher on a 2.0 over a 2.3. Your compressing the same about of air in a small area. Knock would be more likely, but yes I guess the turbo will flow enough to support 400whp.

I don't know about that. Using that same logic you could say that a piece of intercooler pipe on that engine supports 400 whp. Sure. It that useful? no. Or you could gut the turbo and put it inline on a ls-1 and show this graph. What does that prove?

The assumptions I have behind that question is "with appropriate mods for that HP level" It also assumes 2.0 liters since that is what everyone in this forum has by default.

It you are running a 2.3 or 2.4 you are not on the same engine demand curve for the same HP level. You are also very much in the minority. As such it it should be stated when talking power/flow/boost.

GSX_RCR said:

Slowboy said:
If you want, I can tell you the place that makes them, in China... because I sent a turbo there almost a year ago for them to look at.... was not happy with there service, or there product, and did not pursue this turbo... and now somehow it has surfaced again... I am not doing this to "bash" anyones product, but people should know what they are getting would cost me about $200.00 to buy, vs.. $470.00 for the real MHI version... which one would you want on your car?

Just what we need, more people selling SSAUTOCHROME type products in the DSM marketplace!

Everyone selling this turbo, please call it something other than "Evo III" because it is misleading, and gives the real thing a bad name, maybe try "2 cent piece of crap, made by people who make $0.40 a week" turbo....

MGH

Funny you should say that, ssautochrome sells the knockoff.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=7949556501

OK so does displacement matter or not? you seem to be going both ways.

Does a turbo only have a max airflow or is it a 2-d chart called a compressor chart?

hakcenter said:
Let's nail down some facts here.

1. Every turbo has a maximum airflow it can flow, and therefore (since power is directly related to airflow) every turbo also has a maximum amount of power it can support.

2. At a set airflow (for example, if you are maxing out a turbo) you are making an amount of power directly related to that airflow. As such, the displacement is not relevant. If you're getting, say, 45 lb/min of airflow out of a turbo, it doesn't matter if you have 1.5 liter or 2.5 liters, assuming similar engine design (compression ratio, tuning, etc) the power production is going to be the same.

3. Due to this fact, the maximum amount of power a turbo can support is not related to the size of engine it is installed on. As such, the fact that this motor made 400 whp on the EvoIII 16g simply means that ANY motor in a reasonable size range (1.6l-2.5l, probably) can make this amount of power on the same turbo (again, assume similar compression ratios, tuning, etc.)

On something like a 5 liter engine, weird stuff starts to happenl in order to achieve 400 whp worth of airflow, you need to operate at a much lower PR than on a 2.X liter, and therefore you get into a different range of the compressor map, etc.

Not to mention a 5 liter motor might be able to make that kind of power, sans turbo.

So, if the evo III was installed on an NA 455HP car, would the HP decrease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back