The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

EVO 2 Transmission in 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboFritz

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2010
Kewaskum, Wisconsin
Ok so i know there are a few threads about Evo 3 trannys and the parts needed to make them fit into a 2g dsm but does anyone know about an Evo 2 tranny. My buddy got a JDM engine from some importer a few years back and just needed the engine at the time so the tranny got stuffed in the corner, well we thought it was an Evo 3 engine for the longest time but when the motor finally blew from something being wrond internally, not our fault, it was a junk motor so he got shafted, but any ways we used a lot of the parts for cores. Well he bought a motor from Dsm Gravyard and when we gave him the pistons he looked at them and went hey these numbers match an Evo 2 motor... needless to say we also found out that he actually had a big 16g not and Evo 3 after that.

But in the end of this we now have an Evo 2 tranny and a stock 2g tranny for parts, does any one know what we all have to change over to make this thing run in a 2g. i know the Evo 3 has afew parts to change over to make the output ratios the same as the rear end.

Any help would be amazing THANK YOU!!!

The evo 2 internal and final drive is the same. You need to swap the front diff ring gear and output pinion shaft with the DSM ones to make it work with your transfer case and rear end.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

Thank you very much Tim, and you were saying the internals match an evo 3 correct not a 2g, just want to clarify seeing as I had a long post and want to make sure you read it the way I thinking it.

Thanks again

The Evo 2 transmission has the same gear ratios as the Evo 3, but it does have a few very slight differences. It has shallow oil recesses on the 3rd and 4th gears; the Evo 3 has slightly deeper oil recesses; and it is very slight difference. The biggest variable between the Evo 2 and Evo 3 comes down to final drives. The final drive on the Evo 2 is a 64-tooth front diff ring gear (Same as Evo 1) and uses a 1.090 ratio transfer case (DSM 1991-1996 style). The final drive on the Evo 3 is a 63-tooth front diff ring gear and uses a 1.074 ratio transfer case (DSM 1997-1999 style). The speed sensors are also a different tooth count.

The Evo 2 transmission will have steel shift forks for 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, and 5th/reverse, along with good steel shift rails/rail ends. The Evo 3 early ones had 1-piece shift forks just the same. The later Evo 3 gearboxes as well as the replacement parts have plastic pads on the steel shift forks.

Overall, it is a better transmission internally than a DSM transmission. Just swap out the output pinion shaft (including bearings and races), and the front differential ring gear to the DSM parts and you should be ready to rock and roll. The transmission case is the same externally as a 2G AWD DSM transmission case.

The shift selector arm (that attaches to the shift cable) is different dimensionally and you will need to swap in a 2G DSM shift lever arm while it is disassembled. The internal shift selector tab, and cage and all the other little detail parts are the same; the lever arm curvature / length is different.

The Evo 2 utilizes the same 1st gear ratio, 2nd gear ratio, 3rd gear ratio, 4th gear ratio and 5th gear ratio as the Evo 3.

The Evo 1 transmission is different in several ways from either the Evo 2 or Evo 3 transmission internally though and only shares the same final drive (pinion output shaft and ring gear) as the Evo 2, and then the 5th/Reverse gearset and hub/slider assembly is the same for Evo 1/2/3, and a few other parts like the center diff housing, intermediate shaft, viscous coupler, and shift rails (The evo 1 3rd/4th shift rail is different from the Evo 2/3 3rd/4th shift rail; the 1st/2nd and 5th/reverse are the same and are forged pieces).

The Evo 1 does have the tallest 1st gear ratio available from OEM mitsubishi parts for the W5M33 transmission. The Evo 1 1st gear is 2.571:1 ratio, the Evo 2/3 1st gear is 2.751:1 ratio, and the DSM 1st gear is 3.083:1 ratio, and the Galant VR4 1st gear is 2.846:1 ratio. Being that the Evo 1 had such a tall ratio 1st gear, the reverse idler gear lever arm was a different shape to clear the gear, so if you ever find an Evo 1 1st gear/2nd gear/input shaft, you will need to either clearance your DSM or GVR4 rail lever to fit the gear or find an Evo 1 rail lever (now discontinued).

The Evo 1/2 also had solid steel shift forks, and forged steel shift rails/rail ends that were extremely beefy. The downside to the transmission was that it did not come with a shot-peened input shaft or gearset while the Evo 2/3 did have shot peening work on certain parts done from the manufacturer.

All Evo 1/2/3 transmissions had options of either an open front differential or a clutch-type LSD front differential, or the rare case of a viscous lsd front diff that had a unique right CV joint spline length, and a unique front diff ring gear to fit on the viscous front differential. All Evo 1/2/3 transmissions came with a standard 2-spider viscous center differential.

Unfortunately, the Evo 1/2 solid steel shift forks and rails are no longer available from Mitsubishi. The Evo 3 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th steel shift forks with the plastic pads on them are still available through Mitsubishi Japan.

Hopefully this random information is helpful to you or anyone else.

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!! more than i needed to know but AWESOME!!! thank you for the info, is there anything that you know of that we can compare from his JDM tranny to his 2g tranny to make sure it is a evo 2 and not evo 1? Basically you where talking about some of the forks looking different and such, so when we have both apart what part from a evo 2 trans and a 2g dsm trans should be the same that are not the same between the evo 1 trans and the 2g dsm trans.... if there is such a part, and if it is noticable. We are pretty sure that it is a evo 2 but hey might as well confirm while its apart, or is there a part number that we can match up to one or the other?

"All Evo 1/2/3 transmissions had options of either an open front differential or a clutch-type LSD front differential.
All Evo 1/2/3 transmissions came with a standard 2-spider viscous center differential."

And for my knowledge how do these to things differ from are dsm transmissions, i know we never had LSD Front if im right and is a 2-spider viscous center differential different from a 2g to?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

you will need to swap out the shift selector arm to your DSM part and reuse the Evo 2 shift selector.

This also confuses me, I know the part your talking about, just don't know which part dsm and which part evo I have to use haha, do you mean if the whole shift assembly is different just use the dsm one, or do i have to mix parts??

Well, the Evo 2 gearset will have a different input shaft, 1st gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 5th gear, 3/4 hub and slider assembly, steel shift forks, steel forged shift rail ends, etc.

The DSM gearset will have a larger-diameter hub and slider assembly that is weak with a 3-hole shift fork instead of the 2-hole shift fork from the Evo 1/2/3/1G 90-92 AWD DSM. From "hole" I mean the number of holes in the shift fork to support the shift rails. 1993-1999 AWD DSM transmissions have a 3-hole shift fork that requires the use of a matching 3rd/4th shift rail, 3rd/4th gearset assembly including the hub and slider/synchros/keys/springs.

If I have time, I will try to take some pictures of an Evo 1 gear cluster in my stash and compare it to a DSM 1G and 2G AWD gearsets. I am currently out of stock on Evo 3 gear clusters so I cannot take any pictures of that.

The obvious differences between your 2G AWD transmission and an Evo 3 transmission will be the following:
*Evo will have steel shift forks on 1/2, 3/4, and 5th/Reverse.
*2G DSM will have aluminum shift forks for 1/2, 3/4 and a steel 5th/Reverse.
*Evo will have a 64 tooth ring gear, DSM will have a 58-tooth on 95-96 transmissions and a 57-tooth ring gear on 97-99 transmissions.
*Both 2G AWD and Evo 2 share the same center differential, there are no differences; both are viscous 2-spider center differentials in stock form.
*The Evo 3 open front differential is identical to the 2G AWD open front differential. The spider gears will be exposed and you should see 4 spider gears and a cross-shaft when looking at it from side-view. If it is a sealed case and you can see metal disks inside of it, it is a clutch-type limited slip differential that was an upgrade option. Depending on the year, it should be identical to the DSM unit for fitment of the ring gear. Earlier years utilized a different design and is not interchangable.

There are several more differences, I just don't currently have the time to go further into detail.

What is the VIN number and Part Number stamped into the bellhousing flange?

One number will be 17-digits long (VIN Number)
The Other number will start out as "KW5M33-2-XXXX" or "W5M33-2-XXXX" (Part Number).

The Part Number and VIN Number will give us further information regarding the final drive ratio, gear ratio of gearset, model identification, differential type, and year the transmission was manufactured.

B0F7235-W0YE. W5M332WQYEQF7235 these are the numbers

And also is there any difference in the transfer cases, his locked up a few weeks ago and we have the evo 2 one but dont know if its the same. So basically is it useable as is? What would we have to swap if we do? And is it worth it when I can get one for $40 from a 95, if parts need be swapped?

Thank you

B0F7235-W0YE. W5M332WQYEQF7235 these are the numbers

And also is there any difference in the transfer cases, his locked up a few weeks ago and we have the evo 2 one but dont know if its the same. So basically is it useable as is? What would we have to swap if we do? And is it worth it when I can get one for $40 from a 95, if parts need be swapped?

Thank you

If I recall, the transfer case is not a DSM ratio; you will need to use a DSM 1991-1996 transfer case along with doing the front ring gear and pinion gear swap.

As well, your transmission is for an Evo 1, not an Evo 2.

W5M332WQYE is an open front differential, 3.909 final drive transmission from an Evo 1 RS.

This transmission has the best shift forks and shift rails you can get, along with a heavy-duty single synchro 3rd/4th close ratio gearset, and the longest 1st gear available with a taller 2nd gear than stock. It is a very nice transmission.

If you need to get rid of the transfer case, I will take it off your hands. My friend Yusuf could use it as a spare for his Evo 2. Give me a call or PM me.

To give you an idea of what the Evo 1 first gear means for insanely tall, here is a breakdown of the DSM 3.545 final drive ratio being used on the following 1st gear options on a 25" diameter tire:

DSM AWD (3.083)
2000rpm =14 mph
3000rpm =20 mph
4000rpm =27 mph
5000rpm =34 mph
6000rpm =41 mph
7000rpm =48 mph
8000rpm =54 mph
9000rpm =61 mph
10000rpm =68 mph

Galant VR-4 (2.846) (8.5% taller)
2000rpm =15 mph
3000rpm =22 mph
4000rpm =29 mph
5000rpm =37 mph
6000rpm =44 mph
7000rpm =51 mph
8000rpm =59 mph
9000rpm =66 mph
10000rpm =74 mph

Evo 2/3 (2.751) (12% taller)
2000rpm =15 mph
3000rpm =23 mph
4000rpm =30 mph
5000rpm =38 mph
6000rpm =46 mph
7000rpm =53 mph
8000rpm =61 mph
9000rpm =69 mph
10000rpm =76 mph

Evo 1 (2.571) (20% taller)
2000rpm =16 mph
3000rpm =24 mph
4000rpm =33 mph
5000rpm =41 mph
6000rpm =49 mph
7000rpm =57 mph
8000rpm =65 mph
9000rpm =73 mph
10000rpm =82 mph

The Evo 1 Input shaft, 1st gear and 2nd gear are a matched set. They must be used together as the 2nd gear is 5% taller than a DSM or Evo 2/3 2nd gear.

The downfall to the stock Evo 1 transmission case is only the lack of shot-peening of parts from the factory, and the lack of double synchros. Other than that, it is a fun transmission because of the tall 1st/2nd, the close-ratio 4% shorter 3rd and 4% shorter 4th, and the 8% taller 5th.

To give you an idea of what the Evo 1 first gear means for insanely tall, here is a breakdown of the DSM 3.545 final drive ratio being used on the following 1st gear options on a 25" diameter tire:

DSM AWD (3.083)
2000rpm =14 mph
3000rpm =20 mph
4000rpm =27 mph
5000rpm =34 mph
6000rpm =41 mph
7000rpm =48 mph
8000rpm =54 mph
9000rpm =61 mph
10000rpm =68 mph

Galant VR-4 (2.846) (8.5% taller)
2000rpm =15 mph
3000rpm =22 mph
4000rpm =29 mph
5000rpm =37 mph
6000rpm =44 mph
7000rpm =51 mph
8000rpm =59 mph
9000rpm =66 mph
10000rpm =74 mph

Evo 2/3 (2.751) (12% taller)
2000rpm =15 mph
3000rpm =23 mph
4000rpm =30 mph
5000rpm =38 mph
6000rpm =46 mph
7000rpm =53 mph
8000rpm =61 mph
9000rpm =69 mph
10000rpm =76 mph

Evo 1 (2.571) (20% taller)
2000rpm =16 mph
3000rpm =24 mph
4000rpm =33 mph
5000rpm =41 mph
6000rpm =49 mph
7000rpm =57 mph
8000rpm =65 mph
9000rpm =73 mph
10000rpm =82 mph

The Evo 1 Input shaft, 1st gear and 2nd gear are a matched set. They must be used together as the 2nd gear is 5% taller than a DSM or Evo 2/3 2nd gear.

The downfall to the stock Evo 1 transmission case is only the lack of shot-peening of parts from the factory, and the lack of double synchros. Other than that, it is a fun transmission because of the tall 1st/2nd, the close-ratio 4% shorter 3rd and 4% shorter 4th, and the 8% taller 5th.

Do you know what it's like to drive around town in a full weight car with that taller first? I don't. But I'd imagine it might be unpleasant? I couldn't imagine driving through the straight up streets of SF with a first any taller than the one I have. I realize you guys are likely looking at it from more of a race standpoint but I'm still interested if you've driven on the street.

Nonetheless, fantastic array of information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ its not so bad :)

Post #4 has been updated to have the proper information.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back