The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 2 gsr head rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo_3

Proven Member
May 5, 2021
London, Europe
I recently got this evo 2 gsr from a friend with some issues. I was told that the head is rattling and was told it may be a broken spring or rocker. I started it up today, and to me it sounds like lifters. I will upload the video here, long shot as video always sounds worse than what it is. I will be pulling off the rocker cover to inspect once the weather gets better. Will appreciate the help.
Note: Engine is built 2.0 long rod, 280 kelford cams, stock valvetrain etc.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Judging by the video, to me it sounds from HLAs. I don't think you have broken springs or rocker arms, if that the case you would have realized some difference in performance. But yes, always it's a good idea to inspect by eye.

280 kelford cams, stock valvetrain
This is not a good idea... Should replace the springs. You can run, but better not to rev up the engine.

kiggly racing HLA in the head, you think this could he causing the sound?
I don't think that's the cause but hard to tell what exactly causing the noise for now. It sounds like coming from valvetrain components though. Maybe simply it's time to replace the HLAs or the noise could be gone once you replace the valve springs.

Currently it's revving to 8k.
Please don't do that again. Something bad could happen next time. And probably you are not using the cam's potential with the stock springs. You may feel the difference once you replace the springs.

Add:
Thanks for the reply. I also forgot to mention it has kiggly racing HLA in the head, you think this could he causing the sound?
@Evo_3 Forgot to mention that the HLA is lifter as you called. The Kiggly HLA you meant is a HLA "pressure regulator". Those are 2 different parts.

It's a fresh build, well head is new. New headgasket, studs etc including the kiggly hla. I have a feeling its something very minor. Will try pulling rocker cover off ASAP to inspect. Thanks for the reply
Lifters (HLAs) would cause noise if they are not bled enough (Especially if they are new). and if that the case the noise would probably be getting less by time. It would take sometime if the lifters have the air inside. Or you can bleed the lifters and see if that would make the noise less.

Lifters (HLAs) would cause noise
Ohh 🤦‍♂️ sorry over here in the uk thats what we call them, I thought you was talking about the oil pressure regulator. Yeah as I mentioned it's a fresh build. They started it, heard this sound and told me heads gone. Car hasn't been driven. So as you mention it may be the lifters as they were new

This is solid lash adjuster sound with a bit loose clearance at cold start, even louder than yours. So you can hear it more clearly and can compare with yours. It is not HLA but it always makes very similar noise to HLAs with noise issue. If the video sounds familiar to you, then the noise is probably coming from lifters.

This is solid lash adjuster sound with a bit loose clearance at cold start, even louder than yours. So you can hear it more clearly and can compare with yours. It is not HLA but it always makes very similar noise to HLAs with noise issue. If the video sounds familiar to you, then the noise is probably coming from lifters.
Yes thats exactly what it sounds like.. must be the lifters then. We have constant bad weather in the uk so very hard to spend time on cars LOL. Hopefully in a few days I can inspect it properly. Thank you for your help, appreciate it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back