The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Evo 2 cranks/no start. Backfires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo_3

Proven Member
May 5, 2021
London, Europe
I've been having some trouble with getting my evo 2 to start.

It's a built motor with k20 coil on plug and play kit. It sometimes starts but sounds very rough and like a miss fire, but now it doesn't start at all. Every time I would crank it would backfire through the exhaust and Intake manifold.

Things I've checked:
New k20 coils
New NGK spark plugs
Timing is OK
Has spark and fuel
Fuel pump is good (400lph swirlpot setup)

Cars been down at a garage and they haven't been able to start it either, was told its a wiring issue somewhere and maybe the COP kit but I've no idea.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I am looking to go back to normal ht leads set up and see if that helps in the mean time

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Issue RESOLVED!! After months of trying to sort the car, I dropped it off to my mate who solved it in 10 minutes. The issue was in the tune, Ign angle on the map @ idle was -8
Im figuring that since they are smart coils that he is just running them in waste spark from the ecu's two ignition channels.

I remember that the car was idling in the video in his another post from a couple of month ago.
What exactly have you done since you took the video? Have you made any changes?
It was idling yes but was still not running too good. Sat in my garage for a while now it's having trouble starting. I'm going to double check the timing again and go from there

Im figuring that since they are smart coils that he is just running them in waste spark from the ecu's two ignition channels.

I don't have a Link ECU or the manuals so I don't know how many coil outputs it has. I did some work to one a long time ago but they aren't very common.

I don't have a Link ECU or the manuals so I don't know how many coil outputs it has. I did some work to one a long time ago but they aren't very common.
If its the one that I run thats plug and play for the 1g, it wont have enough outputs for four individual fired coils, there is only three available ignition outputs that are not in use already for other things, thats why I was guessing that he is batch firing them, unless he has a wire in version of their ecu or somehow is not using the other outputs.

Issue RESOLVED!! After months of trying to sort the car, I dropped it off to my mate who solved it in 10 minutes. The issue was in the tune, Ign angle on the map @ idle was -8

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back