The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ever feel like you took your car apart so much you dont think you can put it back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj91gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2007
Stuart, Virginia
Ive just about had it now. I try my best to paint my eclipse so I can just sell the shell. but every weekend my brother comes home from college and yells. I feel like crushing my shell now, Im so far into this car, I cant get out. It needs to go. I probably have 5 to 8 thousand in it but it doesnt even run. Anyone else have the same experience so I dont feel so bad?:(

Mine is very similar to yours, minus the body work. It was sitting outside and the paint started to fade on the roof and hood. Around 5-8k into it myself, and the motor has been on the stand for about 6 months now, putting things on here and there. Just ordered a last big shipment of parts to hopefully finish her off. It feels a bit overwhelming when everything is taken off the car with so much to do to put it back together, but when I got tired of it sitting and nothing changing I sat down and forced myself to create a list of everything that needed to be done. After that I planned out when I would work on a certain part of the car and not move any further until it was done. Right now I am still on the engine assembly, but it started making me feel like things were less chaotic and made me able to actually get something done.
/end of rant LOL

dunno.....just my .02 Hang in there man, just know the end result will be worth it! :thumb:

Ive been there, for the past 4 years, but ive never had it tore apart as i did this winter. Who knows
whats next.

cool. Im trying my best, but its hard, im getting ready to graduate high school and then Ill go to college. I dont know what Ill do at college because I work on my eclipse everyday by myself. I have brothers but they wont help anymore, one of them says its stupid to sell it as a shell. Well, Im tired of getting fused at for not having enough room in the garage. Its a lot to handle. Im trying my best to get to paint it and do all the body work myself, but last week the bondo got rained on so I had to redo it yesterday. Im almost done rebondoing the whole car.

I dunno but every time I do a project I have misc nuts and bolts left over, like theres a drawer full of bits and pieces.. I'm sure I don't need em LOL

Yep, anything I do. I feel that way because I'm pushing my abilities to do something. Most of the doubt comes from my inexperience. After I have finished a project and everything works perfectly I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. To me, the bumpy journey is more memorable then the finished product.
And I do love driving my car.

Yep, anything I do. I feel that way because I'm pushing my abilities to do something. Most of the doubt comes from my inexperience. After I have finished a project and everything works perfectly I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. To me, the bumpy journey is more memorable then the finished product.
And I do love driving my car.

yea, I want to be proud when I finish it, but i have no idea when I can finish it. Im painting now, because I got frustrated with head porting, I have 4 heads, I ported one out but It most likely to much a turbo. Im most likely going to port match and 3 angle valve job and sell the other one after it gets flow benched to a naturally aspirated 4g63 owner.:thumb:

The more you take it apart, the faster you can do it the next time around. I got removing my battery, batt tray, cruise control, fuse box, basically everything in the upper passenger side of the engine bay down to about 2 minutes of removal time.

The more you take it apart, the faster you can do it the next time around. I got removing my battery, batt tray, cruise control, fuse box, basically everything in the upper passenger side of the engine bay down to about 2 minutes of removal time.

That is true, I think I could beat ya if we raced. Ill take my whole car apart while you take your whole car apart and see who can put it back together the fastest.ROFL

Tonight, I painted the quarter panel and the door jam on the drivers side. I have to replace the passenger side quarter panel. which will be new for me. but i think I can do it.

That is true, I think I could beat ya if we raced. Ill take my whole car apart while you take your whole car apart and see who can put it back together the fastest.ROFL

Tonight, I painted the quarter panel and the door jam on the drivers side. I have to replace the passenger side quarter panel. which will be new for me. but i think I can do it.

YOU have to replace the quater panel??????? LOL yea, as you were sitting there porting a head, how did the panel get replaced? yea me , thats who. it looks good don't it? anything austin can do, joe can do better>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL well you have been wanting to do this quaterpanel now for like ever, and its done. that is what we are (fellow members) are here for, to help each other out, the same way at 12 at night i call you and ask for a flywheel or a timing belt. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP YOU HAVE GIVEN ME OVER THE PAST YEAR, AND WE'LL GET YOUR CAR BACK TOGETHER SOON then i need a head ported and polished from you LOL

every day with my jetta
i payed 2800 for it and i noticed some stuff wrong with it took it the vdub shop and got a bill for 3grand and i want to sell it but the place you bolt the tranny mount to is cracked so i had to fabricate a mount it has a dent in the rear quarter it needs shocks and struts and cause of the mount being screwed when i got it the mount broke and cracked the catalytic converter and some other problems so now when i look at it i should sell to pay for what needs to be done on my eclipse cause everything on that car is new so in theory i should get atleast 20k out of the eclipse

I feel that way everyday dude. Trust me I bought my talon, worked on it everyday I drove it because something would break on it. Finally decided to park it and find a new/clean car to start out with.

Ended up finding this one.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Gutted the entire car, stripped it down, took off all the sub assembly, sanded it down, rustoleomed it, started putting it back together, then I realized I am just going to use only what a car needs to run, no luxury items, and have the car weigh as less as it possibly can.

And what I only thought was going to take a few weeks, has turned into 7 months, and no help from anyone but me. I even sat the motor and trans in by myself. Just keep up the work on it dude. When you have it done, everyone will change their song.

Here is where I am currently at with it.

Nope, I label my bolts and nuts in baggies, it's just a matter of grabbing a bag, using the stuff inside of it, and moving on to the next bag. :thumb:

Wow, Almost looks like mine.
But I could put all the body/Interior, and most of the motor/tranny back together.
The 2G's are really simple.
No extra BS you dont really need.

I was taking mine apart last year just about everyday to fix problems .finally bought a fully built motor ,and all was great . only thing was then I didn,t have anything to do when all was working fine .:D ,now my laser is giving me grief everyday ,since it is the dd , oh well another project to look foward to ,:ohdamn:

I would be freaked out if my car looked like that. I do things in steps and lay things out, just so that doesn't happen. And I won't move onto something else if the prior step isn't done. I get all wigged out if I'm unorganized.

my last 1g had a seized cam so i pulled the entire motor and rebuilt it from oil pan to valve cover, just cause ive never done it before. I had the head off and was like "#### it, might as well, we are almost there anyways!" and yanked the motor/trans about an hour afterwards.

also got to clean out the engine bay, and go through and make sure everything was good to go.

my first mods got my torqued!
my AWD conversion made me cream my jeans
throwing in a 2.3 was ball!

Burning up a act 2600 and having to drop the tranny again though sucks...
Body work is next and I am not looking forward to it, may save my pennies and have someone else do it.

But this car is by far the most fun car that I have owned !

I just spent a half hour typing up my story but while trying upload photo's switching between apps I accidently closed firefox :(!!!

I started my first big project about 1 month ago and so far it's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun. But the other day I went out to the garage and looked at all the parts I had laying there in a big pile and was like holy shit theres a lot of stuff here I hope I can pull this off. Another thing I have to worry about is paying for all this. I am starting college in a couple of weeks and am worried about having enough time to work and put time into the car. I have to pay for the loan and insurance on the car I can't drive, as well as the loan and crazy insurance payment on my alternate form of transportation which is my 2005 yamaha r6. After all that I don't have a ton of money left over for the parts I need. So I'm getting there slowly but surely. Another thing that made me mad was the other day I starting repairing the strut tower rust on my car and as I started grinding the rust off, the fricking hole just kept getting bigger. Oh well, I guess thats just part of the experience and it will pay off in the long run.

Heres some pics

Heres a good pic of the messy workplace

im surprise how long this thread has lasted. I actually want to say that, I have put my car back together quite a bit since last summer. I do a lot of things that dont make sense though. I have 4 cars now. I am 19 years old and just started college. I used my college money and bought another dsm, I just picked up a 1992 talon tsi. The reason I bought it was because I needed a 4 bolt rear end, a turbo, and an engine block. The car wasnt far away and i though why not. My parents told me specifically not to buy car parts. Luckly my new talon is sitting at my friends house. It has a spun rod bearing and im going to desect the engine tomorrow. I will try to find time to post new pictures of my 1991 eclipse gsx. I will probably drop my engine in the 1992 until I finish the 1991. I dont make a lot of sense i just want to feel the power of a 4g63t again that runs amazing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back